Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 11-18-2001, 04:14 AM

Alright exhaust-heads, I've got a question for you.

I'm getting ready to buy a '67 GTO that has gone through 14 mufflers and 10 tailpipes (don't know which sections) in only 130,000 miles on the road. Is this normal? Do these things rust out that easily, or was the previous owner using the car for clearing the south 40 of rocks and brush?

Should I go to Home Depot and buy 40' of thickwall pvc sprinkler pipe and some aluminum paint????

Old 11-18-2001, 04:14 AM

Alright exhaust-heads, I've got a question for you.

I'm getting ready to buy a '67 GTO that has gone through 14 mufflers and 10 tailpipes (don't know which sections) in only 130,000 miles on the road. Is this normal? Do these things rust out that easily, or was the previous owner using the car for clearing the south 40 of rocks and brush?

Should I go to Home Depot and buy 40' of thickwall pvc sprinkler pipe and some aluminum paint????

Old 11-19-2001, 07:10 PM
Exhaust Guru

Hey Dallas,
My bets are that the pipes and mufflers were never fully heated up before the engine was shut down. Make sure that when it is started, you run it long enough to get the pipes and mufflers really, really hot so the moisture can be evaporated. My car has had the same pipes on it for over 6 years (so far) and it shows no sign of doing anything wrong. They are aluminized, as are the mufflers, but even regular old steel will hang in there if it is kept hot enough to drive off the water.
If you can not get it hot every time you run it or you drive it in corrosive environments (salty roads, around the ocean, etc.), might want to look into aluminized pipes or st st. (409 is cheapest and will last).
Tom Hand

Old 11-19-2001, 10:54 PM
Exhaust Guru

Dallas, just noticed you are in Las Vegas; I would hope it is not rusting out due to snow or salt!!
Tom Hand

Old 11-20-2001, 02:35 AM

Tom;

I hope not, too. It has spent all its life in Loooooosiana. All but the last three years were up near the Arkinsaw border. The original owner, a fine southern lady I'm sure, kept a good diary of the maintenance. The bad news is she apparently knew very little about cars or what the shops were doing. She liked to keep good tires, and for some reason changed mufflers and tailpipes about 3X as often as the rubber.

'Coulda been a slick Midas Man, or like I said before, she was dragging fields to knock down the bigger clods (the dirt, not the cousins). At least the frame would be cleaned regularly in the latter case.

FOURTEEN mufflers.....wheeeeeyu!