Old 05-01-2002, 12:29 AM

I have a 68 catalina wagon that is white, tinted windows, slammed on the ground with american racing wheels. I am a motor head myself and so any information would greatly be appreciated, it has a 400/th400. I can't find any factory numbers. I would really like to know what kind of horsepower and torque the motor made out of the factory, and anything from compression ratio to rear end gears and whether it is posi or not. This is my first pontiac so I need help.

Old 05-01-2002, 12:29 AM

I have a 68 catalina wagon that is white, tinted windows, slammed on the ground with american racing wheels. I am a motor head myself and so any information would greatly be appreciated, it has a 400/th400. I can't find any factory numbers. I would really like to know what kind of horsepower and torque the motor made out of the factory, and anything from compression ratio to rear end gears and whether it is posi or not. This is my first pontiac so I need help.

Old 05-01-2002, 12:52 AM

you'll nee to get the date code from the block and the 2 digit[letter] code from the front of the block for a proper id of what you have.

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 05-01-2002, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

To find what rear end you have,you will have to look on the driver side axle tube for a 2 letter stamped code.Usually facing the rear of the axle about 3-4" from the carrier.
If the brake drums are original and hasn't fallen off,there should be a paper sticker with the 2 letter code on it also on the driver side.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 05-04-2002, 06:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

David the numbers you are looking for on the block are right next to the distributor caked with oil so you cant see them. You may need carb cleaner sandpaper a good light and a large magnifying glass to read them.The numbers on the axle will probably never be found. You can remove the cover and should be a stamping in there someplace. Is it a posi? Take both wheels off the ground and spin one tire if they both move the same direction you have a posi but willing to bet you dont. Most came with a 241 273 or 355 rear end.I am out of town and dont have my books with me but as a guess I would say around 300HP which is probably overrated. Hope this helps

Old 10-02-2003, 09:15 PM

David,

I have a 67' Cat 4DR HT with the 400 / th400, mine is supposedly rated at 290Hp at 4600 rpm and 428 Tq at 2500 give or take,I don't have my manual in front of me right now. Oh yeah mine is a 2bbl . If you can find your numbers Block, Heads, and carb size I can give you a better idea. The rear gear might be tough without the code but I'll try and find it. If you don't know where the codes are look here:

Block= Passenger side (easier to read)
just left of the water pump
SIX #'s plus letter code
Heads= Towards the bottom of the head but
before the manifold in the center exh
ports (#'s alphanumeric)

Rear Gears= Driver's side just left of the housing
Or if Safe-T-Track on the right of
the housing.On the brakes are
probably worn off

Look back by the distributor ( facing backwards, (A joke no doubt by the engineers ) is the Block Casting Date-VERY IMPORTANT, use carb cleaner or whatever it takes to get the grease/oil off it , a mirror might help too. Although my manual is for 67' it might have the info your looking for.

Brent