Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 11:13 PM

I email him from his site and got a reply back the next day. He says he has a set of round ports coming out and a few sets of D ports that he can sell. I'm ready to place an order, but I'm not sure after the stories from you guys. He tells me that he has a set ready to ship out to me.

JFYI

Old 06-01-2006, 12:40 AM

Buyer Beware: I'm on day 425 after payment with no headers or communication. Go ahead, order some. What's the worst that could happen?

Old 06-01-2006, 01:04 AM

OK...what's this about? There are extra headers available for sale to new customers...when others have been stuck in the dark, with no headers and a few hundred bucks out of pocket??? Man...something's not right here

Mike

Old 06-01-2006, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejub
OK...what's this about? Man...something's not right here
Quote of the century!

Old 06-01-2006, 11:39 AM

Ron (Tunnelport) has a couple of replies to a topic on TA Country in the last couple of days saying he has headers ready to go out. I feel for you guys waiting on your headers, I almost bought some from Ron about 6 months ago, I instead went with Doug's.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was also trusting enough to send off $700 and a year and 3 months later, I am still just out $700. Nice to hear that other people may now be able to order headers and not have to wait. At least my $700 investment went towards something.

Old 06-01-2006, 05:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I believe everybody who has headers on backorder will be getting theirs. As I understand things Ron has a couple extra sets that he needs to also sell to raise cash to pay the coater for the work that has or is being done. I may not have explained my understanding of the present situation very well but we are on track to get some very soon. I know we've all heard it before, so I am thinking positive thoughts and will be checking the mail hopefully next week. Also I have communicated with Ron and sent him some money to pay for my shipping. I know it was supposed to have been covered, but I am not going to let that last snafu prevent me from getting mine. Those are the reasons he is trying to sell the extra sets. Cashflow! Not thievery.

Old 06-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not saying he's a theif, It just totally ticks me off that he is selling headers to other people, when I paid over a year ago and haven't gotten any yet. I understand that it may be the only way I am ever going to get any as well.

I will be very happy to see headers if I ever do.

Old 06-02-2006, 03:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

A class action law suit might speed up the process alittle .

Old 06-02-2006, 10:35 PM

Default Tri-y Headers

I know what Ron has said in the past, but I haven't heard anything since I called him just before labor day last year. I e-mailed him just recently to let him know I haven't moved, get it. HA HA. I haven't paid for the coating as I was playing with the ideas of modifying the collectors with compression connections like most late model headers have. Even though I went without coating, I still have not seen or heard anything. By the way, mine were to be D-port w/o bungs FYI.

Old 06-07-2006, 05:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

has anybody heard anything this week?
emails have been coming back undeliverable.

Old 06-07-2006, 05:57 PM

Default Tri-y Headers

robscar,

What e-mail address did you try? I just sent one to his record7jet@aol.com account and it seemed to get through. I have an account with aol and tried to see if he was online to send a AIM, he was not. It just came back that was not online. I havn't received a response to my question to him yet however. I am assuming since his website is still up he can receive e-mail unless his ISP or yours was having problems. It happens all the time. Keep on trying like we all are.

good luck.

Old 06-07-2006, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I spoke to Ron over the last weekend and we talked for a while about other issues. I told him I would be happy to pass on any updates about the headers but I didn't think giving any specific dates if meeting that date was out of Ron's control would be in the interest of anyone. However, Ron is going to move forward with making headers.

He knows and understands that several of you are very angry with the delays, missed deadlines and lack of communication. There are various reasons for each, but I see little point in getting into details if it does not result in a set of headers on your doorstep. That being said, Ron fully intends to fill all of the orders.

My impression is there is a cash flow issue here that Ron needs to work out to fill your orders. I believe solving the cash flow was Ron's intent when it was mentioned a few sets would be available for immediate sale.

71 Formula 433, Splayed cap 400 block, 4" stroke Scat forged crank, 6.8 Eagle rods, custom Autotec pistons. SD 295 KRE D ports, Old faithful hybrid roller, Torker II, Holley Sniper Stealth, Tribal Tubes, TKO 600, 3.73 Eaton posi.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well my email must have gone through because i did rec a reply. The info relayed to me is that there are many sets at the coaters but when Ron went to pick them up there had been a problem with contamination of the ceramic material. They are going to strip and recoat them and should be ready to go sometime next week. It appears that all of the delays may be coming to an end, hopefully. Now the problem for Ron will be generating the cash flow to pay off the coater, That is why the extra sets were offered. He is trying to not burn that bridge so he can continue to get batches of parts done on credit and then pay for the work with sales. For all the crap that Ron has gone through, I really hope things do work out for him and that he is ultimately successful in this business. He is/has risked a lot more than many of the rest of us would ever have considered.
I do think that if the headers do arrive at our doors a lot of the past problems will be forgiven if not forgotten. Then Ron can start to rebuild his credit rating, reputation, and business, and of course his sanity.
Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Old 06-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I cancelled mine. Too long of a wait, 16 months. You might see some eventually but the whole problem was caused by poor business planning. When you set up a new business you need a ton of cash up front and must anticipate no income for at least the first year. Now he is caught up in a SNAFU. Has a few sets built but has no credit, working capitol and must rely on new orders to pay for materials, coatings, rent ect., to finish the old orders. This in my opinion is just chasing the dragon, unless he can come up with some major working capitol, in which case it's just a matter of time till the house of cards come falling down. He can't even work on the stuff except nights and weekends he's so far back on his rent payment, to duck the landloard.

Old 06-10-2006, 11:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know you all are disappointed. I have been silent on this issue for sometime, as its been awhile since I talked to Ron. He called me today to let me know about the latest issues that have plagued him.
In short, here's a guy that has a passion for Pontiacs, went out on a limb to provide a product for US, so that we would no longer have to settle for poorly fitting headers.
People complained about every header on the market and the price paid for ill-fitting headers and lack of ground clearance. Everybody talked about how great it would be to have Tri-Y headers but NOBODY here in our circle of enthusiasts, CARED to take on such a project. Then when someone comes along to provide such a header and has unforseen troubles, then everyone is quick to critisize. Hell, even the major header companies wouldn't give us firebird guys the time of day and offer a long needed product because they couldn't make a sh$tload of profit with such a small market. So think about that when you buy from DOUGS or whoever. They aren't interested in the quality, just the bottom line.
You will NOT find a more dedicated individual, who takes PRIDE in his headers which are hand made by himself, with BETTER quality, fitment and utility, than ANY other header company, PERIOD.
I loaned him my set of H-O Racing round port Tri-Ys, to use as a pattern for this undertaking. That was 2 yrs ago and they are still in his posession. I know I'll get them back because Ron is not a crook. He has EVERYONES best interest at hand, even though he's having troubles.
I wish some of you would be a little more patient, and have a little sympathy for Ron. He can't predict the future and has no power over some of the hurdles he's had to overcome.
Sure he had a lack of funds when he undertook this project, but he never expected to "retire" on this, nor did he wish to make an exhorbitant profit.
When he first talked to me about this 2 years ago, his goal was to make and sell enough sets of headers so he could pay DOUGS for the materials and assembly and be down the road. Well someone was greedy and Ron got screwed. From there, the "house of cards" started to fall.
Ron kept his word and loyalty(something very RARE today), sent the headers to customers, and ate the losses of his hard work.
Ron may have bitten off more than he could chew, but he is determined to make this work. Others would have taken your money and split, never to be heard from again, but Ron hasn't.
I can relate to alot of his problems, as I provide LIMITED products for Trans Ams. The money I make goes right back into the materials and labor. Sure I make a little bit of money but i'm definetly not getting rich; I still have my day job.
Look at it this way...we're dealing with a car(and engine) that ceased production more than 25 years ago. This isn't a lucrative MARKET like it is for the Mustang GT, which is still going strong since 1965!
Please guys, Ron is under tremendous pressure and stress. I don't wish his problems on anybody. Lets all give him some support and stop hammering on him. He will get those headers to you. If you have any doubts, consider the pic. They are being prepared for delivery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	headerparts.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	55420  

Last edited by Larry Navarro; 06-11-2006 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:42 PM

Well said Larry. The problems that Ron has been through on this deal would be enough to make just about anyone throw in the towel. As much as I hate to wait, the end product will be well worth it.

Mike

1977 Trans Am Y82
'69 428, stock '69 #16's, 041 RAIV/Rhoads, 3.42s, Cliff Q-Jet, Continental Tight-10/TH350, RA Manifolds (oversized, ported) with Pypes x-pipe system and Street Pro's, Edelbrock Classic IAS shocks, PST polygraphite suspension, custom subframe connectors.

Still waiting on my Tri-Y headers (since June 2005).
Old 06-11-2006, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you Larry for saying what I had been thinking. Some time back, I was wanting to buy a set of Ron's headers but was hesitant in doing so due to all the problems that he was having, and even publicly had some negative things to say about the man before I even got to know and respect him. I decided that I was going to bite the bullet and order a set from him back when he started this thread. He said that he had an extra set of round ports and I jumped at the chance knowing that I would most likely be waiting awhile for them.

My thought was that if my $700 would help Ron with his cash flow problems maybe someone who had been waiting for a long time may be able to get their set. I felt as though I was investing in the future of a business that us 2nd gen guys desperately needed, and I would get mine eventually. I still feel this way. I know a lot of you guys have been waiting for a long time, but I implore you for some more patience.

Ron is going to make good on his commitments. He so deeply wants to make this business work, and make everybody who said he wouldn't be successful, wrong!

I know that every time we turn around, something bad is happening to Ron. I wouldn't wish the adversities that Ron has faced on my worst enemies. All the stuff you have heard about isn't even the half of it. Suffice it to say that Ron has overcome enough adversity for any 10 of us. The fact that he has not given up is a testament to his character.

I think that maybe his mistake in all of this was that he could have had better communication with people. He understands fully that people are frustrated and he is very stressed out knowing that people think he is taking them for a ride. His thoughts are that if he did not have anything new to tell people, that he thought it best not to say anything at all. In hindsight was that a mistake, maybe, but he thought telling people about all of his problems would just sound like a long line of excuses.

Again, I cant express to all of you enough, how much time, effort, thought, blood, sweat and tears Ron has put into this endeavor. He has designed and built just about every jig, tool and process to create these one off masterpieces.

It is my belief that when Ron gets, and is able to keep things on track, we will all start to receive our headers. At that point, we should all publicly help Ron rebuild his reputation, so that others will take a chance on him and help him to restore the financial aspects of his life and keep this worthwhile venture going.

I am not trying to absolve Ron of his responsibility to keep his customers informed, but he was so overwhelmed that he just did not know what to do, so he clammed up.

I have included some photos to show all of you the level of commitment to this venture that Ron has, and will continue to have, until every one of you is satisfied beyond a shadow of a doubt.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tubing.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	55498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-2.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	55499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg