Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 09-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default '64 GTO Exhaust System

My '64 has a 428 with a mild (Specs on attached sheet) Crower cam with stock '67 RA/HO exhaust manifolds. No exhaust parts were purchased yet except the manifolds. I want to run stock-type mufflers that flow as well or better than the factory system.

I've looked at the Ram Air Restorations 2 1/2" system with X pipe which they say will work with the stock RA manifolds. System includes flanges that will allow the 2 1/2" downpipes to fit the stock RA manifolds. Pipes are aluminized and complete system is $599 + shipping.

The Pypes 2 1/2" system with X pipe is made from stainless instead of aluminized steel. I didn't check with them yet to see if their downpipes will fit the stock RA manifolds. The total cost would be similar to Ram Air's system. They offer the interesting option of "X-Change Crossover," which allows you to uncap the system in front of the mufflers.

Which do you think would be the best choice--Ram Air Restorations or Pypes?

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 09-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Forgot the cam spec attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	'64 GTO Cam Specs (Nancy) 002.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	217939  

'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 09-09-2010, 12:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone?

'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 09-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Either one will work fine for you. They're both good systems. I'd go with Pypes... well cause they sponsor this forum and well I know the guy that owns the company.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 09-10-2010, 09:59 PM

I think you would be happy with either brand. Earlier this summer I installed a complete Pypes 2 1/2" system with X-pipe on my 71 GTO with Ram Air manifolds. Overall the fit was good, consider with the Pypes system all your tubing will be s.s. I don't think that is the case with Ram Air Restorations. Also, depending on what you want for sound choose your mufflers carefully. I would consider a system with the muffler delete and order some Dynamax VT mufflers. Just installed a set several weeks ago and am thrilled with the sound and no drone at cruising rpms. I had initially installed the Pypes RacePro mufflers which flow well but do drone between 1800 & 2200 rpms. The Dynamax's flow as well or actually better based on their tests and give you a nice rumble at idle, sound great when you are at full throttle but won't drive you crazy at cruising rpms.

my .02

Hot Rods & Horsepower.......A diease for which there is no cure.

71 GTO, 463, SD 295 d-port heads, 10.75:1, RPM intake, 502hp/560tq @ the crank, 200r4, 10" Continental convertor, Bullet 234/244 cam, Cliff's Q-Jet, 3:42's w/Eaton True Trac, 5 Power Tours. New performance numbers coming