Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 02-24-2017, 05:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs down NOT Happy with Pypes SGF63 67 Firebird

After laying under my '67 Firebird for hours and hours over the last few months trying to get Pypes system lined up correctly, I finally got fed up & took my car to a muffler shop.

What should have been a quick install took close to 3 hours!!!

We finally figured out that the pieces that were welded at the factory, were welded wrong.

So not only did I buy a $600 "bolt together" exhaust system, but I wasted a minimum of 6 hours of my time and had to pay a shop $200 to fix a manufacturing issue.

There is no try. - Yoda

1967 Firebird Restoration 2005 - 1/25/2017
Old 02-25-2017, 04:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Grr! Much like Israel has mandatory military service for all, I think everybody who wears the title of "car guy" should be required to do an exhaust install at least once in their life.

You haven't lived until you've wasted an entire weekend and a significant piece of your good health under a car, inventing 2-3 new swear words along the way. I feel ya, brother!

Old 02-25-2017, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Geez,I bought the RA system for my 67 F. Sitting there,when I get to it.Thanks I'll be aware. Descriptive adjectives don't help.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Care to elaborate exactly what was wrong?

I've used a half dozen of the Pypes systems and nothing on them have ever been welded except the "X" portion itself which isn't very big. The rest of the system is a slip fit design.

The one you bought doesn't come with mufflers. Did you buy the correct offset inlet/offset outlet mufflers that this system is designed for?

Not questioning your issues, I'm just trying to understand exactly what was wrong.

Old 02-26-2017, 02:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The two 'over the axle' pieces from the muffler back were originally 4 pieces that were welded together.
When mine were welded, they were 'clocked' wrong so that if it lined up with the muffler, the rear piece would be in the fender.
If I lined it up with the rear piece, the end that goes on the muffler would be pointing up to the floor pan.
On top of all of that, the hangers had to be modified to work also.

The weld locations are roughly marked in the attached pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PYPES Exhaust system welds.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	448313  

There is no try. - Yoda

Old 02-26-2017, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have similar feelings about the Pypes SGF70 system for my '77. It isn't even close to fitting the car as delivered, and requires several hours of needless cutting, fitting, cussing, etc.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 02-26-2017, 08:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speargun View Post
The two 'over the axle' pieces from the muffler back were originally 4 pieces that were welded together.
When mine were welded, they were 'clocked' wrong so that if it lined up with the muffler, the rear piece would be in the fender.
If I lined it up with the rear piece, the end that goes on the muffler would be pointing up to the floor pan.
On top of all of that, the hangers had to be modified to work also.

The weld locations are roughly marked in the attached pic.
Ah okay gotcha. Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman View Post
I have similar feelings about the Pypes SGF70 system for my '77. It isn't even close to fitting the car as delivered, and requires several hours of needless cutting, fitting, cussing, etc.
Now the SGF70 I've bought 4 of them and never had any fitment issues with them at all on Nova's, my Firebird, and Camaro. Absolutely love that transverse system, great sound quality, no drone what so ever, and it picked up the car at the track.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On my '77, the drivers side mid pipe that goes over the axle is 1/8 inch from the rubber brake hose. The tailpipes are a joke. There are too many separate parts that make them up. There is no reason a splitter tailpipe could be manufactured, since there are potentially several 1976-81 cars that can use them. I am disappointed in it after spending almost $800 for the system, tips, band clamps, adapters, etc.

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 02-26-2017, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The brake hose back there is always a problem on the transverse systems. I've used Flowmaster, Dynomax, and Pypes, and they are all close because of the over the axle pipe needing to make a 90 degree bend there to enter the muffler. Flowmaster was actually worse because those pipes went into the top of the transverse muffler (goofy design) But just the way these systems are. It's a relatively easy thing to fix though.

Not sure what you mean about the separate tail pipes being too many pieces. All the SGF70's I've bought always had 1 piece tailpipes, then you install the tips you want. I never ran the splitters though, my Formula is a 70 so before those things were used on F-bodies. I bought their polished stainless angle tips that protrude under the rear valance. All fit fine.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Matter of fact I have the car on the lift now with the motor out. I could snap a pic of the exhaust and how it fit on mine, but likely wouldn't help you.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thinking about it, sounds like we might be getting to the bottom of the issue.

Your also saying your tailpipes are more than one piece which has me wondering if they have recently changed their design or manufacture process causing these issues, because like I mentioned, the systems I've bought always had 1 piece tailpipes. Could be the difference.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Thinking about it, sounds like we might be getting to the bottom of the issue.

Your also saying your tailpipes are more than one piece which has me wondering if they have recently changed their design or manufacture process causing these issues, because like I mentioned, the systems I've bought always had 1 piece tailpipes. Could be the difference.
Here are the required adapters for use with the side splitter tips:

The tailpipes in the SGF70 kit must be cut, these welded on AND the splitters welded on. That is a lot of welding for a simple tailpipe.

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 02-26-2017, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah that's more welding, but on a bright note, I like the adjustability that would provide to get those splitters positioned "just right"

Old 02-27-2017, 10:15 AM

Was reading this section and couldn't help but chime in. A few years back I was installing a Pypes system on my 67 GTO. Did then and still do have issues which are mainly, but not only, due to the fact that the system, as designed, sat WAY too low with stock height and (new) stock springs. I was replied to here by a member who said he worked for Pypes and was very defensive about the whole thing (just sayin'). What prompted this response was a comment I read regarding welds on their pipes. The system I bought (through Summit) came with a butt weld right on one of the over-axle pipes, like they were a couple feet short to make up the pipe and chose not to use a piece long enough so as to eliminate this weld, very disappointing to see. This, and I still can't figure out why, is what I found on my system and the folks at Pypes had told me it is common practice. Yes, I was told the warranty was still good for the weld, but why leave an unnecessary weld to chance a later problem for the sake of not using a piece of strait pipe that is 2-3 feet longer to start with??

Old 02-27-2017, 01:58 PM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speargun View Post
After laying under my '67 Firebird for hours and hours over the last few months trying to get Pypes system lined up correctly, I finally got fed up & took my car to a muffler shop.

What should have been a quick install took close to 3 hours!!!

We finally figured out that the pieces that were welded at the factory, were welded wrong.

So not only did I buy a $600 "bolt together" exhaust system, but I wasted a minimum of 6 hours of my time and had to pay a shop $200 to fix a manufacturing issue.
Was this a kit you purchased through us??

Old 02-27-2017, 02:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

To answer the last question:
I bought the system from Pypes directly & picked them up at the Daytona Turkey Run.

I have been emailing back & forth with tech support and just got off the phone with them. I think we are on the same page as far as what the problem was & he is going to look at some of theit kits to get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

The attached picture is from the Pypes gallary of a 68 F-body with the 3" kit. It clearly shows where the tail pipe is welded like mine. The pipe in front of this one was also welded & both were 'twisted' a little too much when welded which threw the ends out of alignment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PYPES QUARTER EXIT F-BODY.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	448421  

There is no try. - Yoda

Old 02-28-2017, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is there a place in this forum to suggest production changes with Pypes exhaust products?

After my and other's lackluster experience with the SGF70 kit, I'm hesistant to recommend any of their products. I feel a better job can be done with the kit.

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 02-28-2017, 12:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here are a couple of shots showing where my Pypes were welded.

There is no try. - Yoda

Old 02-28-2017, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My hats off to anyone that make these kits fit on their own. Not just PY issue IMO. I bought the RARE kit and its the same story with the tail pipes not being clocked correctly. I spent a few hours on the ground trying to figure it out and said screw it and took it to a muffler shop.

I wasn't happy that they kinked up one of my mandrel bent tail pipes to make it fit but I was happy that they put it all in a few hours. Well worth the money to have it done IMO.