Tri-Power Tech 57-66 Tri-Power Talk

Old 11-17-2017, 11:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1st Run alum tri power manifold

For Tom Vaught, who was helping me thru a PM............im sure I'm driving the poor guy nuts...........so Tom, heres some pics that I cant get to you from a PM

For what ever reason the 1/8 X 3/8 didn't fit, assuming that was a npt fitting..........I messed up by going a little bigger with thinking I could just tap the holes a little bigger......seems this isn't working too well either. Seems I should have tapped it with the thinner threads, but I used the thicker thread to match the parts I had on hand.

I understand what you were saying in the last PM..........just wanted to show you what I have going on here, maybe with the pic, theres another way of doing this right.

Thanks for going wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy above the call of duty LOL

Rich

Old 11-17-2017, 11:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, maybe I should learn how to post a pic.

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tri power manifold (1).JPG
Views:	235
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	467967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tri power manifold (2).JPG
Views:	231
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	467968  

Old 11-17-2017, 11:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just to clarify, I can tighten them a little further, but I can get them to go all the way down to the nuts..........

Rich

Old 11-18-2017, 08:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would think snug and sealed is good enough. Teflon them? Plumbers dope? Can't see them anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Old 11-18-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtorich View Post
Just to clarify, I can tighten them a little further, but I can get them to go all the way down to the nuts..........

Rich

It’s a tapered thread, so it doesn’t have to thread all the way in to seal.

Old 11-19-2017, 09:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Turn upside down & check ports to the gasket , there was a bad load of the intakes where the ports had shifted .

Old 11-19-2017, 06:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
Turn upside down & check ports to the gasket , there was a bad load of the intakes where the ports had shifted .
Hey Chrisp, had this sitting for a few years now, never put a gasket on it, so heres a few pics, when I put a gasket on my iron one, it looks a little better.

I have a "Parts Place" alum one on now...........cant believe that looks any better.

Should this be lining up any better, or does this look about right to you guys.

These were old Fel Pro"s that I had for my 6X heads

Thanks

Rich
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pics for PY (1).JPG
Views:	168
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	468081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pics for PY (2).JPG
Views:	152
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	468082  

Old 11-19-2017, 07:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

if its like the 1st run one I have just wait till you try and line it up with the head bolt holes you will like me invent a lot of new words

Old 11-19-2017, 08:17 PM
Boost Engineer

Everything can be fixed with a little effort and a good Machinist and Fabricator Shop.

Personally I would try to screw it down to a set of heads and see where you are with the bolt pattern to the heads.

Any decent machine shop could make you a couple of aluminum plugs that stayed inside the PCV bosses on the manifold with the proper PCV fitting threads and fittings and after they welded it and roughed it up you would not know the intake was ever repaired.

Tom V.

I have 3 of the 1st Run intakes and none of them have ANY ISSUES whatever: Port match, bolt position, etc.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

LOL, I'm really confused on those last two posts.........are you saying I have some issues with the way the gasket is fitting on the manifold........I was under the impression this was a 1st run unit..........I have the casting date of C-286 on top, but seeing Tom isn't having any issues, I'm starting to wonder.

Tom has been helping me thru some PM"s, but I'm starting to think just write this one off.

Any decent machine shop could make you a couple of aluminum plugs that stayed inside the PCV bosses on the manifold with the proper PCV fitting threads and fittings and after they welded it and roughed it up you would not know the intake was ever repaired.

Tom, is the above statement about the manifold holes ive been drilling. ?????

Don"t know if it makes a difference or not but I'm running KRE alum heads now.

So not to sugar coat it............this manifold isn't any better than the POS Parts Place one I'm now presently running.

Tom, any way you could post a pic of how your gasket is fitting the manifold, or anyone else for that matter.

Sorry for not understanding this stuff better, I just seem to have a hard time wrapping my mind around this stuff.

Rich

Old 11-19-2017, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did some searching around and don't know if it makes a difference or not, the gasket in the Pic is a Fel-pro 9980.

Read somewhere I should be using Fel-pro 1233 gaskets.......the heads have never been machined and the manifold is new also.

Rich

Old 11-20-2017, 07:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The bolt holes to heads are fine . it is the ports to gasket area only that is bad .

Old 11-20-2017, 01:49 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtorich View Post
Did some searching around and don't know if it makes a difference or not, the gasket in the Pic is a Fel-pro 9980.

Read somewhere I should be using Fel-pro 1233 gaskets.......the heads have never been machined and the manifold is new also.

Rich
Rich, I used a VICTOR (production Pontiac Intake manifold gasket) (from my uncles dealership), bought a handful of them years ago.
Has the carbon dust on the surface that makes your hands black. Part Number is 15135.
The gasket and the Intake manifold match perfectly in ever hole location and port location.
The port divider wall is maybe .020" wider on one runner pair vs the other runner pairs. So I will call it a perfect match for my gaskets.

As I said before, I KNOW I have 3 perfect EARLY 1st run Tri-Power Intake manifolds. Whether you guys believe me or not, is your deal.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As you can see from the two pictures attached, our early '66 intake was not good at all on one bank of ports.

The second picture shows that I was able to grind the manifold to port match as needed. The other side JUST BARELY made it.

The height was not the fault of the casting, but the E-heads we used had RAIV ports that are taller than the manifold was intended for. We did extensive welding on the manifold to accommodate port height. As you can see on the last picture, grinding and media blasting made it look fairly decent.

I don't have the casting date of that manifold, but I know it is a relatively early one. I have two late castings, but have not checked with a gasket to see if they're like the one in the pictures--ports positioned poorly when cast.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	'66 Tripower manifold Cleanup and Porting 008.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	468144   Click image for larger version

Name:	'66 Tripower manifold Cleanup and Porting 007.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	468145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tripower Intake-Enlarged port area 003.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	468147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grill Brackets, Firebird 011.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	468148  

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 11-20-2017, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As I said before, I KNOW I have 3 perfect EARLY 1st run Tri-Power Intake manifolds. Whether you guys believe me or not, is your deal.

Tom, I believe ya.............tried that 1233 deal today, that was not even close, the guy had some Mr. Gasket for Pontiac.............those seem to look a little better in the pic than the fel-pro"s

Dick, got your message, I"ll call you later today.............after looking at your pics, I'm hoping I'm not going down that road. LOL

I have the same manifold you have on now............wondering how Dave Hillard got that on without welding it.........I have the Kre heads, so who knows.

Couple of pics with the Mr Gasket.....gasket
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mr Gasket (1).JPG
Views:	112
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	468155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr Gasket (2).JPG
Views:	102
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	468156  

Old 11-21-2017, 12:11 AM
Boost Engineer

Hard to see really clearly with your pics but appear to be much better vs the port shift that Dick experienced with his intake.

Yours should be a easy touch-up compared to what Dick had to do.

Tom V.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a few fuel line fittings that looked taper but really were not. also various fittings and plugs different brands screw in a different amount on taper threads.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 12-02-2017, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For what it's worth, I went through about 3 aluminum tri-power manifolds from various vendors before finding one good enough to accept for use.
That said, ALL of them were still not up to the quality standards of the factory cast iron piece. Same problems as the above.

Old 12-02-2017, 02:12 PM
Boost Engineer

eletantrider, after the first run of 1966 Aluminum Tri-Power Intakes (and it was a very small run)
the quality of the castings and cores to make the castings went down greatly.

I can believe not finding a good one (at all) in any of the later runs.

Tom V.

Old 12-02-2017, 04:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I saved a pic of one of the bad intakes I sent back. Ports were off pretty bad. Don't know which batch it came from, or what foundry. I think the US foundry was in the southwest somewhere but I imagine that some intakes were eventually produced overseas as well?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00235.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	469224