Old 09-26-2019, 07:40 PM

Default Fuel injection vs. throttle body

I have a 66 gto and it has a stock motor, an edelbrock performer intake with a 750 edelbrock carb. The problem I have is that the after the car sits it is hard starting, I am told that it is common for these cars. So this being said, I am looking into a throttle body setup or fuel injection without too much out of the pocket. I also have a return fuel Line to the fuel tank. Question is, what’s the simple ,less cost 2ay t9 go? My car also has an electronic distributor.

Old 09-26-2019, 11:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hard starting could mean you need to check the choke, or you need a battery with higher cranking amps. I have a Pontiac HEI distributor in my 66's engine and the highest cranking amp Excide battery [800 cold cranking amps] I could get for it. Also using 2 gauge cables to the battery. Plus a hand choke. Starts great all the time since I put in the Excide battery an swapped to 2 gauge cables.. The 1000 cca Interstate battery I had wasn't worth a dime. I even had to keep a 2 amp charger on it when the car sat in the garage to keep the battery up.

I'm running a Carter AFB "Competition Series" carb... made by Weber. Best carb I've ever used on this car.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The fuel is probably evaporating out of the carb over time.

If you go to FI, you will need an electric fuel pump. Why not just buy a Carter #4594 elec pump & plumb it to your carb so that it will be full of fuel everytime you start it?

The Edel/AFB carbs are good, reliable carbs, no need to change it.

Old 09-27-2019, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry but I wouldn't use and Edelbrock carb if it was given to me.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
The fuel is probably evaporating out of the carb over time.

If you go to FI, you will need an electric fuel pump. Why not just buy a Carter #4594 elec pump & plumb it to your carb so that it will be full of fuel everytime you start it?

The Edel/AFB carbs are good, reliable carbs, no need to change it.
This is the best, most cost effective solution if your issue is hard starting after the car sits for several days and the fuel has evaporated out of the carb. For fuel injection, the TBI will set you back a grand or two, real dry-intake FI much more than that. And a ton of work and mods needed to make it work. The electric fuel pump, placed in-line in front of the fuel tank, is about a one hour, $50 mod that will fix your issue. BTDT.