Old 10-14-2019, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My '64 build sheet was trapped in the seat spring of front seat. Fremont car.

Old 10-16-2019, 09:05 PM
Senior Chief

I found my fuel pump leak. The last time the fuel pump was installed thread lock was used. Seems the threads are stripped on one of the bolts. Now I'm looking for a timing chain cover. part# 548690, 4bolt water pump type.

Old 10-17-2019, 05:44 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrrregg!!! View Post
I found my fuel pump leak. The last time the fuel pump was installed thread lock was used. Seems the threads are stripped on one of the bolts. Now I'm looking for a timing chain cover. part# 548690, 4bolt water pump type.
Seems my thinking was wrong about the fuel leak. Maybe an oil leak could happen from the stripped out bolt hole, not fuel. My goof. I still have a leaky fuel pump. Now for my timing case cover problem. Anyone ever put a heli-coil in one. This would be the fuel pump mounting hole closest to the block.

Old 10-18-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Seems my thinking was wrong about the fuel leak. Maybe an oil leak could happen from the stripped out bolt hole, not fuel. My goof. I still have a leaky fuel pump. Now for my timing case cover problem. Anyone ever put a heli-coil in one. This would be the fuel pump mounting hole closest to the block.
A Time Sert is much better. The kit costs more but that's all we have used for 50 years, in aluminum and magnesium. Take it to a Porsche shop, they should be able to fix it while you wait.

Old 10-19-2019, 09:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The long throttle shaft on the center carb is a leftover from the '60's when most of us used the famous Ansen Ball Bearing Linkage. It had a bellcrank attached to this long shaft and operated the end carbs via that bellcrank and a rod with ball bearing ends. The downside of that setup is that it puts stress in the form of twisting the center carb shaft. The factory mechanical linkage operated the end carbs on the passenger side. There was a version introduced in 1961, and a later version in 1964, which would be perfect for this car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	'64 Big Pontiac Mechanical Linkage (2).jpg
Views:	98
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	522483  

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 10-19-2019, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I recently bought a '64 421 HO block with Armasteel crank and forged rods & pistons. It was assembled by Dan Whitmore several years previous to his death. It has the correct 421HO 45B code on the front of the block. I do not have the 9770716 heads, but they are more widely available than the 45B block. I have not decided what to do with it yet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7806.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	522490   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7805.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	522491  

'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 10-19-2019, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dick,I bought a 63 08B short block,sold the 421 pistons and bought a set of 428s and put a set of 96 heads on it and put in my 62 GP.Runs great.Tom

Old 10-19-2019, 10:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Is that cover aluminum?
It's not in common to tap the bad hole to next size, of course pump will need to be drilled, also. I believe stock is 5/16 on newer stuff. Use an Allen head bolt, to make wrenching easier.

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 10-19-2019, 11:25 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
The long throttle shaft on the center carb is a leftover from the '60's when most of us used the famous Ansen Ball Bearing Linkage. It had a bellcrank attached to this long shaft and operated the end carbs via that bellcrank and a rod with ball bearing ends. The downside of that setup is that it puts stress in the form of twisting the center carb shaft. The factory mechanical linkage operated the end carbs on the passenger side. There was a version introduced in 1961, and a later version in 1964, which would be perfect for this car.
Interesting, I was wondering about that center carb. I pulled my 64 intake of the shelf and it had the same carb. This clears it up for me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0251.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	522499  

Old 10-20-2019, 01:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Interesting, I was wondering about that center carb. I pulled my 64 intake of the shelf and it had the same carb. This clears it up for me.
Yes, that one has the remainder of the "ball bearing linkage" with the lever arm missing. Part of the issue with these linkage setups was that the stiff return springs for the end carbs were left in place. The factory vacuum linkage used much stiffer return springs than we use with mechanical linkage.

I remember when my '64 GTO was new and everyone complained about the factory vacuum linkage. Very few were aware that parts were available from Pontiac to fix the problem, so we went to hot rod shops to buy the Ansen setup. There was no "Pontiac community" back then to share info like there is now. And, most likely, if you went to the parts counter at your dealer, they would not be aware of high performance parts. Most were in the mode of "Why do you need such a big engine in that car?"

'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 10-20-2019, 11:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
I recently bought a '64 421 HO block with Armasteel crank and forged rods & pistons. It was assembled by Dan Whitmore several years previous to his death. It has the correct 421HO 45B code on the front of the block. I do not have the 9770716 heads, but they are more widely available than the 45B block. I have not decided what to do with it yet.
The 45B is followed by a T. What does the T mean?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7805.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	522575  

'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 10-21-2019, 02:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have put helio coils in them and after doing it what you have is stronger/better than when it came from the factory. Put high strength loctite on the coil before you screw it in and it will never come out.