Old 10-15-2019, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Roberts View Post
Did I mention you dont need a "Pontiac" shop to do heads.... a port is a port no matter what color you paint the head....
This isn't that complicated...
Agree, was at Chris Howes shop today that does all of Jon Kaase's heads. Chris just finished up a pair of DCI RAV's and has a set of my Eheads. Funny seeing all the Ford P51, Hemi Ford Pro Stock and a few Pontiacs in the mix. A good head porter is a good head porter. Sometimes I think it is better to use a shop with many different brands under their belt, they have seen many different port arrangements etc and not just a 330 cfm Ehead.

66 GTO 389 3x2, 4 speed, 4.33 gear, Montero Red 33K original Miles
67 GTO 2dr Post, 428, Tri Power, 3.55 Gears
80 Trans Am Black SE Y84 W72 WS6

Last edited by Mike Davis; 10-15-2019 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Did I mention you dont need a "Pontiac" shop to do heads.... a port is a port no matter what color you paint the head....
Huh ??

Old 10-15-2019, 11:37 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
Agree, was at Chris Howes shop today that does all of Jon Kaase's heads. Chris just finished up a pair of DCI RAV's and has a set of my Eheads. Funny seeing all the Ford P51, Hemi Ford Pro Stock and a few Pontiacs in the mix. A good head porter is a good head porter. Sometimes I think it is better to use a shop with many different brands under their belt, they have seen many different port arrangements etc and not just a 330 cfm Ehead.
Agreed as well.. John Marcella is an induction guy.... he makes all brands fast... he likes Pontiacs but is in no way a Pontiac shop... yet he makes them go fast!
There is nothing unique about a Pontiac port... it's a port used to deliver air and fuel... just like a ford, Chevy and dodge head...
Like I said, I'm sure there is a shop near you that can do the work...
My guy was a Ford guy and we went 6.40's at 217mph 10 years ago with a Pontiac...
Kre is a hack shop... they dont understand induction in my opinion... it's all about acceleration, not big ports...

Last edited by Scott Roberts; 10-15-2019 at 11:44 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scott Roberts For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 07:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Agreed as well.. John Marcella is an induction guy.... he makes all brands fast... he likes Pontiacs but is in no way a Pontiac shop... yet he makes them go fast!
There is nothing unique about a Pontiac port... it's a port used to deliver air and fuel... just like a ford, Chevy and dodge head...
Like I said, I'm sure there is a shop near you that can do the work...
My guy was a Ford guy and we went 6.40's at 217mph 10 years ago with a Pontiac...
Kre is a hack shop... they dont understand induction in my opinion... it's all about acceleration, not big ports...
Great post....lots of truth!

Old 10-16-2019, 09:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Both my sets of Edelbrock heads turned out really nice and done by a fellow that owned and operated a bicycle shop at the time and was 'retired' from doing mostly Chevy heads for 20+ years. He had never seen a Pontiac Edelbrock head.

14 years ago I bought a very early set of High Port castings and we had Rick McConathy do the port work. Rick was well known for his Chevy cylinder heads and was associated with Naiser Racing Components in Houston, Texas at the time. He was not known to be a "Pontiac" head porter and he had never seen HP heads before. He now has his own shop, Slick Rick Racing Heads. On the first go around the heads were 403 cfm at 0.800" lift, later with additional work about 412 at 0.850" on Jeff Naisers flow bench if I remember correctly. Pretty good numbers at the time ! These heads were used on the engine installed in John's Fairmont and produced 920 hp at 7000/7100 rpm.

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE

Last edited by Steve C.; 10-16-2019 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim Robertson in Abilene Tx does nice work. He ain't cheap!

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=816668

The Following User Says Thank You to 61-63 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Heads are heads, true. But Dave does have CNC programs for the iron heads. The 48s I had done went 272 and did not look close to poking through the water jacket. Has more than one program too. When you get your heads back from him you can see the attention to detail. He even slightly milled the ex and intake sides. Very nice.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dragncar For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 07:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The 62s I got from Dave look great and seem to work pretty damn good also. He did a cnc port work on my cast iron intake with some hand blending also. That looks so good as well! I haven't had a chance to make any passes yet, planning issues and weather have kept me away from the track. Having been in Dave's shop a few times over the years I have seen traditional SBC heads, LS heads, thought I saw some Ford stuff? Send him an email stating what you want and he should get back to you. I know he doesn't like to answer the phone most of the time because people want to talk for hours. So best not to call.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=Scott Roberts;6072047]Did I mention you dont need a "Pontiac" shop to do heads.... a port is a port no matter what color you paint the head....

I only give my money to someone who is into Pontiacs. After all if it wasn't for them, Pontiac engine building would be a thing of the past.