Old 02-21-2008, 06:23 PM

When we bought this car we literally drove it into the shop. Although it looked kind of rough the original Ram Air III engine ran perfectly. With only 58000 miles on the odometer I thought the engine was probably in good shape.......but I never expected it to be this clean and new inside.

When we first got the engine out we degreased it and used high speed wire wheels to remove the old paint and rust from the block, and then sprayed on a coat of epoxy primer to preserve the bare metal until we started rebuilding.

This engine was assembled in January of 1970 and has never been opened until now. It's just amazing how the original factory paint daubs look like they were applied yesterday. The engine shows virtually no wear at all.

Inside the original valve covers:

Inside the timing chain cover. You can still see the remains of a stamp in there:

Original GM nylon-tooth timing chain gear. That's one thing I'm changing:

The windage tray and some of the markings on the crank and main caps:

I really liked this. There is a big red "H" stamped on the oil pump. I assume that would denote high volume? I've never seen that before.

And all the markings on the main caps, rods, rod caps, and even the sides of the pistons:

Old 02-21-2008, 06:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That IS one clean engine inside!
I'm sure your already doing this but I would replace the timing chain & plastic coated cam gear & crank gear while your in there.
Keep the pics coming, looks like it's coming along quick now!

Old 02-21-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve v
That IS one clean engine inside!
I'm sure your already doing this but I would replace the timing chain & plastic coated cam gear & crank gear while your in there.
Keep the pics coming, looks like it's coming along quick now!
Yes that's definately going to be changed just to be safe......along with the oil pump. I'll hang onto the old parts just to have them.

Basically all we are doing is putting in a new timing chain, all new seals.... and that's it besides a thorough cleaning. The bearings all look brand new. There is no wear in the cylinder bores. The lifters pulled up out of their bores like they were put in yesterday.

The engine in this thing will be as stock as stock can be.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Definitely didn't use Castrol!

Really neat to see, thanks for the photo's.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 02-23-2008, 03:18 AM

Default TERRIFIC DETALING

SAW YOUR PICS TODAY CRUSING THE SITE, ABSOLUTLY BEAUTYFUL, IF YOU HAVE MORE PICS WOULD LOVE TO SEE THEM, GREAT WORK

Old 02-26-2008, 06:15 PM

So the frame and suspension are almost finished.....just need to install all the fluid lines and the detail decals. We bought all new components for the front steering, control arm bushings, ball joints, etc etc. We'll hold onto all of the original stuff.

We did rebuild the original date-coded Delco brake calipers.

I also shot a little video of the frame today. Click on this picture to start the movie:

We still need to install the front spiral shocks. I had to get new bushings for those.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice work Jason! This is going to be a nice car when done. Can't wait to see the body and engine!

BJ

Old 02-27-2008, 01:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Man, that engine is unbelievable. Good job Jason. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Jason, you are giving me inspiration!!!!!

Old 02-27-2008, 12:45 PM
Senior Chief

Hey Jason,

Thanks for the great pics & the video to boot. I'm restoring a 70 GTO, so your pics and info are going to help me out with my restoration since I'm a novice. Keep up the great work and man I wish I could complete things as fast as you're doing things.

I have a couple of questions I hope you don't mind answering. I'll be pulling my body off the frame soon for sandblasting and powdercoating and I've never done this.
1) What special instructions/ precautions do you recommend with unbolting the body bolts from the body?
2) When installing the body bushings and placing the body back on the frame how do you keep all of the bushings in the right place?

thanks.
Brian

Old 02-27-2008, 01:49 PM

Thanks for all the nice comments guys!

Brian......about your body bolts......if you start to loosen a bolt and it feels like it's going to strip out the nut inside the body, stop right there. Use a torch to cut off the head of the bolt. That way when you lift the body up off the frame you can get underneath the body and warm up the nut with a torch and remove the bolt without tearing things up. It may seem like alot of work, but it's WAY easier than trying to fix a caged nut that ripped loose inside a body crossmember.

Keeping the body bushings in while you lower the body down onto the frame is just a matter of being careful. The body bushings should fit tightly into the holes in the frame. Try to let the body straight down onto the frame.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:46 PM

Here is the numbers-matching Muncie M20 4 speed back from the tranny shop.....nicely restored, including the purple inspection mark on the side cover.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jason:

Man, you're killing me with all these great pictures. When can I put my bid in for this car?

BJ

Old 02-28-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERULD
Jason:

Man, you're killing me with all these great pictures. When can I put my bid in for this car?

BJ
Thanks!

Just wait until you see this engine sitting in the frame.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:33 PM

Great pictures super detail! I'll bet Even Krytas 69 Judge does not have those engine markings...LOL Looks like those ram air oil drippers really did their job.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jason: Best Judge thread in a long time! Starting with the find, the history, the restoration...keep it coming! Looking good!!

Old 02-29-2008, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Makes me want to get my driveshaft painted up like that too!

Old 02-29-2008, 05:58 PM

Thanks guys.

Here is the rear bumper assembly, restored and ready to mount as soon as the new license plate light shows up. The tail lights are the original ones....they polished up very nicely and look like brand new.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jason, what is the date code of your rear bumper (behind license plate bracket, drivers side)?

Old 02-29-2008, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jason:
This has to be one of the fastest restorations ever chronicled on this forum!

I second Judge273's comment; this is one of the best Judge threads in a while.

BJ