Old 03-27-2016, 12:43 PM
Senior Chief

Default Pontiac Grand am

Picked up a grand am 2.2 liter. Running rough at idle when sitting in traffic or when I use heat and ac. I have changed the plugs and ICM after experiencing misfires. Checked battery 12.5 car off 14.5 car running. With heat, radio and lights on it maintains 14.5 so I believe the alternator and battery to be fine.
Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. Thanks

Genesis 6:13
Old 03-28-2016, 12:58 AM
Suspended

Looking at the engine where the head meets the block on the left side of the car, the drivers side. Look to see if there any signs of coolant there or if it is losing coolant at that corner. They are very hard on head gaskets if there not put on correctly. If you see ANY sign of coolant leaks there you need to replace the head gasket as it's leaking & that will cause the plug at that end foul out & make it run rough. Does it seem to run better at higher speeds ? If so it's cleaning that plug because it's working harder but then at slower speeds or at idle it get wet from the coolant & fouls out that plug. If thats it let me know & I can tell you how to stop that from happening after / during the head gasket replacement. There is a trick you have to do to the head gasket before you put it back on which will stop it from blowing another head gasket.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:42 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the reply. I will look at that and post what I found either way.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:55 PM
Senior Chief

Checked for leaks. No leaks of any kind anywhere under the hood. Car is solid. Somebody suggested a new fuel cap, mine is very loose but I am not getting a EVAP code or any codes to indicate a problem at all. Still rough idle when in gear with foot on brake.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:01 PM
Senior Chief

Service engine soon light came on, not check engine light. Replaced gas cap and the light went out. Seems a little better in gear at a full stop however when ac is turned on engine appears to lose power, car shudders. No loss or dimming of lights though. A little more investigating and I found someone who replace a engine compartment fuse for the fuel pump relay, claims $8 fix. Any thoughts by anyone? I dont see how that would cause power loss by turning on accessories.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:22 AM
Senior Chief

It was a dirty IAC.
Cleaned it up with carburetor cleaner and the engine runs 100% as intended.
Easy job.
Great little car. Glad to be back in a Pontiac.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:49 PM
Senior Chief

Got a problem with passlock security system. I have disabled the system with a resistor but the fuel pump is still locked out. No fuel at the rail. Climbed under car and hear the pump.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:30 AM
Senior Chief

If anyone knows about these passlock systems any input is appreciated. What I've done so far.
Cut yellow and black wires at ignition. Taped black and yellow wires seperately that were left. Put a 2200 ohm resistor between black and yellow wires that go to the body control module (BCM). In theory this is to fool the unit into believing all is ok and to start. However, I am still in lockout mode which shuts down fuel to the injectors. I have checked every fuse in the vehicle and every fuse is good. The security light is off on the dash panel by the way.
So I'm looking for help here. Thank you.