Old 09-02-2018, 03:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 62's sold at Auction

62 SD went for 108K
http://www.worldwide-auctioneers.com...cleID=11&id=65

62 425A went for 46K
http://www.worldwide-auctioneers.com...icleID=6&id=65

Old 09-02-2018, 05:57 PM

"Stored in a small, dirt-floor garage in Sioux Falls, South Dakota in 1967 by James Fitzgibbon, a Chicago-area attorney, who took the car in partial payment for a divorce case, this 1962 Pontiac 421 SD Catalina was discovered in 2004 by restorer Ennis Lund of Cliff Avenue Upholstery & Restoration. Showing just 7,284 original miles as found, much of it likely a quarter-mile at a time, the Catalina was complete, original, completely rust-free and amazingly well preserved, likely due to the tendency of the dirt floor of the garage to draw moisture down and away from the car."

Never heard that one before.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
"Stored in a small, dirt-floor garage in Sioux Falls, South Dakota in 1967 by James Fitzgibbon, a Chicago-area attorney, who took the car in partial payment for a divorce case, this 1962 Pontiac 421 SD Catalina was discovered in 2004 by restorer Ennis Lund of Cliff Avenue Upholstery & Restoration. Showing just 7,284 original miles as found, much of it likely a quarter-mile at a time, the Catalina was complete, original, completely rust-free and amazingly well preserved, likely due to the tendency of the dirt floor of the garage to draw moisture down and away from the car."

Never heard that one before.
Probably not the best choice of words but seemed like good value for both of those cars

Old 09-02-2018, 07:32 PM
Senior Chief

I thought both were extremely well bought...

www.brunoscars.com
Old 09-02-2018, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, and what’s left of the Tri-55/57 crowd can’t believe how cheap those cars are selling for today. Time moves on and the next generation has as well.

If you think this stuff is too cheap then step away from your keyboard and wager a portion of your retirement savings on your market view. Make a bet, you may be right, otherwise you are just playing Fantasy Football.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
Yeah, and what’s left of the Tri-55/57 crowd can’t believe how cheap those cars are selling for today. Time moves on and the next generation has as well.

If you think this stuff is too cheap then step away from your keyboard and wager a portion of your retirement savings on your market view. Make a bet, you may be right, otherwise you are just playing Fantasy Football.
Not sure what to make of the prices. There was a red 62 SD car that went for 220+ I think back in January which is why I thought this one was good value. There was also '97 Ferrari 550 Marenello 6 speed that went for 70K at the Auburn auction which seemed VERY low based on the feedback I got from some friends who know those cars pretty well

Old 09-02-2018, 07:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stuart,cant understand with all the money spent on the 62SD that they could not find the correct valve covers?Great car!Tom

Old 09-02-2018, 11:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Both cars look really nice in the pics. Non-SD car seems to be priced about right from recent results I have seen. A good buy. The SD car seems low to me but similar to a few others I have seen sell in the last couple years. Enjoy those cars for what they are now IMO. Holding one for another 20 years as an investment? Who really knows what they will do. Logic seems to say there will be precious few people still alive interested in paying big bucks for one 20 years from now. But I am usually wrong. My luck buying and selling these muscle cars for huge profits seems to follow my luck in the stock market and my retirement account!! I may end up living in one of these cars eventually. At least they have huge trunks!.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
I wonder more and more about whether I should sell my car (also a 425A tripower/four speed) while there are still people who want to buy one.

Old 09-03-2018, 06:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
I may end up living in one of these cars eventually. At least they have huge trunks!.
You can live in your car, but you can't drive your house.

Old 09-03-2018, 07:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Both cars seem well bought. I think they would have brought more money at a bigger auction.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Where are you seeing the prices these went for I clicked around and can't find them.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Stuart,cant understand with all the money spent on the 62SD that they could not find the correct valve covers?Great car!Tom
Big money restorers also forget about the shiny black tops on the (repo)battery instead of making them look original(tarTop)

Old 09-03-2018, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The auction write-up for the SD car mentions that it had the optional rear seat speaker and the car "retains" its radio-delete plate. Hmmmmm???

Old 09-03-2018, 11:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61-63 View Post
Where are you seeing the prices these went for I clicked around and can't find them.
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=821746

Old 09-03-2018, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
The auction write-up for the SD car mentions that it had the optional rear seat speaker and the car "retains" its radio-delete plate. Hmmmmm???

If you click on the pdf file of the reproduction window sticker it shows the speaker but no radio. Could have been an error when ordering or on the order or build sheet?

Old 09-03-2018, 11:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I also thought that was odd but the window sticker would seem to confirm rear speaker

http://www.worldwide-auctioneers.com...ker%20Copy.pdf

Old 09-03-2018, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmoreilly View Post
Thank you. The 70s SD cars going for more than the '62 SD car just shows the hobby moving into the 70s as we knw it would. Someone got a nice '61 Ventura at a good price too.

Old 08-24-2019, 06:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looks like the 62 SD was resold, not sure how much it sold for. Nice car

https://www.legendarymotorcar.com/in...duty-2013.aspx

Old 08-24-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmoreilly View Post
Looks like the 62 SD was resold, not sure how much it sold for. Nice car

https://www.legendarymotorcar.com/in...duty-2013.aspx
From the description: "The metal piece that was originally cut out of the hood so as to mount the hood scoop and provide fresh air to the engine was found in the trunk still in primer."

I find that interesting - were the scoops factory installed in 1962? If so, it seems odd they would have tossed the hood piece in the trunk. It also says the car has factory undercoating, which seems unusual on a car meant for racing - just that much extra weight to carry around.