Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Wenzler Gutsram to factory iron heads

I just bolted up the Gutsram to an iron head - or should I say I tried to! The outer bolt holes on the Gutsram have nowhere to thread into on the iron heads, there are voids where the bolts should go. From what I had read about this manifold it seemed that I would have to drill a couple of holes in the heads at the outer locations, however I'm assuming now that this would only apply to aftermarket ali heads. So, it looks like I'll either be welding some extension pieces on the ends of the manifold flanges, or welding receivers into the heads to take the bolts.
Unless someone has already been this route and has a better idea? Don't mention ali heads - they are not what I want at this time....

Old 07-10-2019, 08:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds easier to modify to intake..

Old 07-10-2019, 09:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Exactly what heads are you trying to put it on?Tom

Old 07-10-2019, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a pair of ported 7H1 heads, looks like a fairly decent mild porting job. They've been converted to big valves and had the end bolt bosses welded on for a full compliment of header bolts. My plan is to open them up a bit more, they have this stamp on the intake side of the head, Anderson maybe?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stamp on ported 7H1 heads.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	515612  

Old 07-10-2019, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Charlie, sounds easier to go to LS! I don't think I've fitted anything to this engine that hasn't had to be cut,ground,milled,filed or f*cked about with!

Old 07-10-2019, 04:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is there a reason you want to run the Gutsram VS the original Wenzler? The Gutsram was made for the Wide Port Bolt Pattern. I did drill my Eheads so they would accept both intakes. With a 340CFM port the Original Wenzler was .07/.08 faster in the 1/4 in back to back testing.
I don't see where it would be an issue to drill and tap the factory head or use a keensert.

I know Jeff Bourcier made a plate that went from the front intake bolt that holds the crossover on and it basically laid across the 2 pieces and clamped down on the intake where the bolt by the port was. Basically is was a piece of aluminum about 1 1/2" with a hole drilled in it.

66 GTO 389 3x2, 4 speed, 4.33 gear, Montero Red 33K original Miles
67 GTO 2dr Post, 428, Tri Power, 3.55 Gears
80 Trans Am Black SE Y84 W72 WS6
Old 07-10-2019, 05:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a new Gutsram which already has the efi bosses cast in the runners that I need, going on my turbo combo with a large box plenum on top.
I thought of a stepped plate idea similar to what you mentioned but using a thick steel plate/strap, not sure if I like the look of it though.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thinking about it now, I could bolt the stepped plate through the existing Gutsram end bolts,and then bolt the plate to the crossover holes. If I used an ali plate instead of steel then it would almost blend in .