Old 09-16-2019, 06:54 PM

Default Wiring shield with RA exhaust manifolds

1971 LeMans with 455 and RA exhaust manifolds. I installed the wiring harness heat shield per instructions but I don’t like the way the shield is wedged between the block and the manifolds, but that’s where the shield’s brackets put it. Looks like it would fit much better where I drew the red circle, but then I’d have to modify the brackets on the shield slightly. Is where the heat shield is now the way it’s supposed to be? Think I should move it lower and away from the block and manifolds, or leave it where it is? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E7536C04-750D-4A41-A22A-777AE7B775F0.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	520294  

Old 09-18-2019, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Never seen the engine harness heat tube in that location before. What 'instructions' are you refering to?

On non HO cars with standard log exhaust manifolds, the heat shield tube attaches to the driver side head stud, between cylinder #5 and #7. Same stud the exhaust heat shroud bolts to. Then the harness exists the tube at the starter.

On HO cars, there is no tube, it wont fit with the HO/RA exhaust manifolds. The engine harness sits on the intake, and goes down at the front of the driver side head at the alternator, then thru a bracket at the front engine mount.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:02 PM

Engine mount heat shield only used on 67-69 with ram air manifolds. 70+ cars used a tube mounted to front of the head with a clip on the engine mount to hold it away from the manifolds. It can be used, just not correct. The repro will fit with ram air manifolds, that is the application. However, it is not made correctly. The legs have to cut, rebent and redrilled to fit properly. I have done it several times and it is a pia. Don't understand why such a simple part can't be be made right. My guess is the mfg just doesn't care.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:02 PM

FWIW, I have a 71 goat w/factory 400 block. The car has 69 RA heads and exhaust manifolds installed. Although not factory correct for this year, I installed a factory cable tube (I believe for a 72 455) mounted in the correct location for 72. It very nicely carries the battery cable down below were it can run along the oil pan rail to the starter. Only the highly knowledgeable would pick it up as not 100% correct. I'm running a 2-gauge cable through the tube without any issues. Just found the same one for sale on ebay, a bit crusty at the moment, but you get the idea. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Sta...kAAOSwTltdCAb9
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tube1.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	520484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tube2.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	520485   Click image for larger version

Name:	ebay.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	520486  

Last edited by Authentic-242; 09-18-2019 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IMO, that's the best way to route the battery cable. Keeps it away from the heat.

Picture above shows a later version of the 'curved' battery cable tube ('73 and up). '72 tube is straight, bolts to the head stud along with the negative battery cable. Picture below is correct for '72 non-HO cars (car is a HO, so incorrect. No tube on HO cars.)