Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 09-21-2019, 04:39 PM
Senior Chief

Default Stroker 496ci Main oil galley passage mods?

I'm building a 496ci Stoker that will be forced fed approximately 10-12PSI. I expect to shift at approximately 6,000 RPMs.

I have done some searching for recommended block modifications for improved oil control and found a few scattered tips and tricks yet nothing on the same page... unfortunately I am having a hard time finding all of them again.

Out of all the suggestions one of them was not completely clear to me.

I THINK it was suggesting to smooth out the 3 oil galleys that intersect into one of the mains... I was not exactly clear on what it was saying... however I think I can figure it out... I just did not want to perform a mod like that and not be completely clear on what the final goal is to be.

Has anyone done any oil galley mods? Does anyone have a detailed list of all the mods that can be done to improve flow?

I'm at a point with the build where now is the time to do it...

So far the oil control plan is:

1) Remove casting in valley to allow oil flow back
2) Modify the main Oil Galley to use threaded plugs
3) Drill .030 hole in both the galley plug by the distributor gear & a .030 hole in the plug behind the timing chain.
4) port match the block to the oil pump.
5) port match the filter housing to the block
6) main and rod bearing clearances will be set to .0025
7) Butler 80lb pump

Thanks ahead of time for any additional tips and tricks...

SPEED SAFE, NICK

Old 09-22-2019, 02:02 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Shifting at 6,000 you're probably fine.
If you were going to flow more oil volume (larger clearances and/or high engine speeds) then I would remove any "step" in the middle of the driver's side oil galley (the factory drillings from both ends didn't always meet smoothly).

Old 09-22-2019, 08:43 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
Shifting at 6,000 you're probably fine.
If you were going to flow more oil volume (larger clearances and/or high engine speeds) then I would remove any "step" in the middle of the driver's side oil galley (the factory drillings from both ends didn't always meet smoothly).
Thanks for the tip, I forgot to include that one in the list above... I already have the machine shop addressing those intersections by chasing them with a long bit and smoothing out the intersections. My block was pretty bad on a few of them. I think when Pontiac built the blocks, their bit was wandering off course....

I'm just wanting to address any and all areas that could be improved.

Although some mods may not be needed below a given RPM, I feel that if there are short comings with the oil system that if performed would not hurt. If anything they could offer a slight improvement to flow, and even oil cooling...

So on the mains where the intersections meet below the bearings... Would there be any benefit to opening those up (Not increasing overall size... just internal) and remove the raised areas left behind from the drilling? I was thinking about just smoothing those holes out, I would think it could improve flow and even possibly smooth out possible "stressor" areas.

Thanks again...

SPEED SAFE, NICK

Last edited by AIR RAM; 09-22-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thats what I did. I used a small carbide and then deburr bit on a dremel to smooth the sharp edges in the oil passages. The #1 main is the worst, there are 3 drilled passages there. That is where the oil crosses over to feed the pass side lifter galley. Removing and enlarging the peaks left from drilling will pass more oil over to the pass side. It also removes stress risers that can cause block cracking up to the cam tunnel, esp at the middle bulkheads. #2 seems to be the highest stress, based on block failures that others have posted here.

White '67 LeMans 407/TH350/Ford 3.89... RIP
Red '67 LeMans. 407/TH400/Ford 3.25
Old 09-29-2019, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would suggest the TV-1S oil pump from Luhn Performance.

http://www.luhnperformance.com/pontiac.html

66 GTO, 495, M22, Strange S-60 w/4.10
Sold new at Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUHC-Z8xhtg
Old 09-29-2019, 02:01 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singleton View Post
I would suggest the TV-1S oil pump from Luhn Performance.

http://www.luhnperformance.com/pontiac.html
I will be honest with you, had I been familiar with Luhn prior to ordering parts I would have gone that route. I have been looking at those for quite some time.

I ended up with the Butler Pro 80lb pump... Its supposed to have some "tricks" done to it to make it better than original... But yeah... I have been looking at those Luhn pumps and I have honestly been real close to putting my Butler pump up for sale on the classifieds... I have even eyeballed that "Titan" pump that looks to be pretty awesome and expensive but I have not seen an advertised price for them... But I have heard more than a few people who have run the unmolested Melling 60lb pump on their performance builds without issue... So it gets confusing as to when is more to much?

Again, I am still on the fence, I have the Butler pump but may end up with the Luhn Pump by the time the build is completed.

SPEED SAFE, NICK

Old 09-29-2019, 03:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Luhn also has an option, (TV-1X), where you send them your existing pump, and they perform the modifications.

66 GTO, 495, M22, Strange S-60 w/4.10
Sold new at Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUHC-Z8xhtg
Old 09-29-2019, 03:18 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singleton View Post
Luhn also has an option, (TV-1X), where you send them your existing pump, and they perform the modifications.
yeah I saw that as well... I have an extra M54D pump I could send him... I wouldn't want to send the Butler pump as I already paid for the work they did on it... so it would just be a waste of money to send that pump.

I haven't decided just yet... I'm sure I will be fine with the Butler Pro pump... But I know the Luhn is the better pump, and thats what this tread is about... Leaning that way for sure.

SPEED SAFE, NICK