Old 10-09-2019, 08:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 72 GTO Forward light harness - Bare or split wire loom?

What is factory correct for the forward light harness? I know it clips to the driver side fender.

I've seen the harness wrapped in vinyl, cloth tape, and in split wire loom (Convoluted tubing).

I always thought wire loom tubing looks out of place in 70's cars, but I've seen lots of pictures of 72 cars with it... Not sure if its factory.

What's the deal?

Old 10-09-2019, 08:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Small diam (about the diam of a dime) black convolute tubing on the original fwd wire harness from my super low mile Lux LeMans example car/parts car. Its been repurposed to use on '72 LeMans Couoe. Same car's engine harness is wrapped in thin wiring harness tape.

72 Firebird V8, I believe, used light gray convolute tubing on the engine harness.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So that confirms it. Thanks Roger.

Does the tubing goes all the way thru the core support? If not, where does it stops ? I have 2 plastic grommets, each side of the core support, that prevents the harness from chaffing. So I guess its out of the tubing?

On my car, its clipped to the fender, wrapped in vinyl tape. The tape is very dry and its cracking.

Last edited by MescaBug; 10-09-2019 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lamp harness from 01C Pontiac plant LLM...
the convolute tubing extends from the front, right where the ground wire branches out & down, it does not go through the coresport. At the rear, the convolute tubing begins a few inches in front of the outer wiring plug. the very end of the convolute tubing back there is a wrapped with a thin white ID wrap.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks!