Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-16-2019, 01:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Earl vapor guard hose

The Earls vapor guard hose is almost 200 bucks to do the car. I got my AN fittings today and even though holley calls it a push lock it’s really just a barb and you still have to use clamps. Why can’t I just buy 100 feet of AC DELCO 3/8 fuel injection line from Amazon and be done with it?

Old 10-16-2019, 06:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've used push lock hose without clamps. I had no leak issues.

Old 10-16-2019, 07:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

yeah if you use the correct fittings I don't you need a clamp. They are a bear to push in though.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 10-16-2019, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Personally I can't stand the push lock stuff. Like RocktimusPryme says, when you use the correct fittings, they are a total pain in the rump to deal with, and they won't come back apart unless you cut the hose, so any maintenance down the road requires another section of hose if it ends up being too short after cutting. I avoid the stuff.

Much rather prefer the AN fittings that screw together. Extremely easy to work with and can be taken apart multiple times and reused, so it's a buy it once and done deal.

And yeah, $200 for hose to do the car is normal, make it $300 by the time you buy all the fittings.

And no, running rubber fuel injection line through out the entire car is a fire hazard waiting to happen. All that work turning into a pile of ashes over $300. Plus if you ever decided to have some fun at a track event, even if you say you won't now, things change, You'll get laughed right out of tech with 50 feet of rubber line in the car.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post

And no, running rubber fuel injection line through out the entire car is a fire hazard waiting to happen. All that work turning into a pile of ashes over $300. Plus if you ever decided to have some fun at a track event, even if you say you won't now, things change, You'll get laughed right out of tech with 50 feet of rubber line in the car.
I think some of the push lok stuff is NHRA legal. I have a length of the Earls hose for my vapor return. I don't recall off the top of my head what the line is called but I know I made sure it was tech legal before I used it.

I agree, the reusable fittings are the easier. I like the Kevlar braid rather than stainless. Though now, most companies are pushing the PFTE line hoses, which require their own style of AN fitting. So if I wanted to go to that, all the reusable hose ends I have are useless.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
I think some of the push lok stuff is NHRA legal. I have a length of the Earls hose for my vapor return. I don't recall off the top of my head what the line is called but I know I made sure it was tech legal before I used it.

I agree, the reusable fittings are the easier. I like the Kevlar braid rather than stainless. Though now, most companies are pushing the PFTE line hoses, which require their own style of AN fitting. So if I wanted to go to that, all the reusable hose ends I have are useless.
Yeah some of the pushlock and earl vapor stuff is legal, I'm referring to the cheap rubber fuel injection hose from the local auto store that 64speed is wanting to run throughout the car. That'll get you laughed right off the property.

I use the Teflon lined braided hoses here, with a soft outer fabric braid and an inner stainless steel braid for strength. Very easy to work with and 3,000 psi burst pressures, and impervious to alcohol.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Vaporguard hose is NOT push lock hose. Crimp rings needed. It is lined to prevent outgassing and deterioration. I use a lot of it without issue. It is far superior to the rubber hose the OP is thinking of using.

Don

Old 10-16-2019, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

I use the Teflon lined braided hoses here, with a soft outer fabric braid and an inner stainless steel braid for strength. Very easy to work with and 3,000 psi burst pressures, and impervious to alcohol.
Now are the PFTE specific fittings still re-usable. The "how to" video Summit has with their PFTE fittings show a little barrel that you use in their construction. I assumed that was a non-reusable part.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...690b/overview/

Old 10-16-2019, 03:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes reusable, there is no barrel to use. It's a simple 2 piece AN fitting like all the others. Just twist it into the hose and the second piece threads into the first piece, squeezing the hose and forming the seal.

Old 10-16-2019, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Yes reusable, there is no barrel to use. It's a simple 2 piece AN fitting like all the others. Just twist it into the hose and the second piece threads into the first piece, squeezing the hose and forming the seal.
Check out the video in that summit link I posted. It shows the use of a small collar unlike normal AN fittings. And some of the PFTE lined hoses Ive looked at say 'must use PFTE hose ends"

Old 10-16-2019, 03:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah I saw that, don't like those fittings, a real pain to deal with. I avoid that particular hose.

The hose I use with TFE doesn't need the ferrel or compression fittings, and just uses traditional 2 piece AN fittings.

It's listed as NHRA legal, does not deteriorate, harden, dry, or permeate fuel vapor with the presence of ethanol in the gasoline. It's E85 safe, Methanol safe, can be used with diesel fuel and bio diesel, race fuel etc...

Old 10-16-2019, 03:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Yeah I saw that, don't like those fittings, a real pain to deal with. I avoid that particular hose.

The hose I use with TFE doesn't need the ferrel or compression fittings, and just uses traditional 2 piece AN fittings.

It's listed as NHRA legal, does not deteriorate, harden, dry, or permeate fuel vapor with the presence of ethanol in the gasoline. It's E85 safe, Methanol safe, can be used with diesel fuel and bio diesel, race fuel etc...
What brand/model is that out of curiosity? For my own future use. I used the Aeroquip Kevlar Starlite braid for my fuel line (other than the hardline) and was a fan. Its mid priced, and easy to use. But I don't believe its tef lined so it will likely deteriorate over time.

Old 10-16-2019, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a link Jeremy that you can read all through the details and see if it's something for you.

https://www.anhosefittings.com/light...l-and-oil.html

Old 10-16-2019, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, I bookmarked the link. Basically the same price as the Aeroquip hose I used, so the next time I need some I will try them out. I cheaped out for my transcooler and used stainless braid. Not worth the money saved. Pain in the ass to cut. Not to mention it gets a bit stabby.

Old 10-16-2019, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
Thanks, I bookmarked the link. Basically the same price as the Aeroquip hose I used, so the next time I need some I will try them out. I cheaped out for my transcooler and used stainless braid. Not worth the money saved. Pain in the ass to cut. Not to mention it gets a bit stabby.
Yep those are torture LOL Tips of my fingers are all messed up after a day with those things.

Old 10-16-2019, 06:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Yep those are torture LOL Tips of my fingers are all messed up after a day with those things.
Stainless braid is easy...wrap with good masking tape , cut with a cutoff wheel..leave the tape on, use soft vice jaws for the fittings shove the line in..no fuss no cuts

466 Mike Voycey shortblock, 310cfm SD KRE heads, SD "OF 2.0 cam", torker 2
373 gears 3200 Continental Convertor
best et 10.679/127.5/1.533 60ft
308 gears best et 10.76/125.64/1.5471
Old 10-16-2019, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta man View Post
Stainless braid is easy...wrap with good masking tape , cut with a cutoff wheel..leave the tape on, use soft vice jaws for the fittings shove the line in..no fuss no cuts
Yes and no. I wrap them all with tape before cutting, either to keep things from fraying or to try to protect my hands a bit. But inevitably you still get poked. Can't really avoid that. This is especially true with that compression fitting stuff that Jeremy posted. That video makes it look so easy. "Oh just pull back the stainless braid to expose the Teflon and slide your compression fitting on"

Yeah right. That stainless braid just doesn't push back out of the way and stay there, you have to trim it, and doing so without messing up the inner Teflon liner is a feat within itself, meanwhile the stainless braid is making your finger tips swiss cheese. They couldn't make that stuff any more of a pain in the rump. I absolutely just do not use the stuff anymore. No need to when there is better product out there now that is more user friendly.

Old 10-16-2019, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta man View Post

I used electrical tape, wrap it as tight as I can get it.

Old 10-16-2019, 07:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, that's what I use.

Old 10-16-2019, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah thats ultimately how to got it to work too, used a death wheel to cut it and wrapped the end in electrical tape. But my feelings on the subject still remain the same. Because Nylon braid. doesnt require any effort or special technique at all.