THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
Hey Paul - Question: How are you viewing (w PC or streaming Blueray)? We have had most recent Netflix account for the past year and mostly use it on our Blueray via streaming.
Reason I ask what platform, is that the few times we access it on the PC – it seems to be less new content there (on the PC) and fewer selections based on our previous “ratings” of titles. Seemed to be a lot of new movie releases available over the past summer that are now no longer available. Some times note that there is an “available until” tag on some of the newer movies.

Do you make a habit of “rating” each movie, show, etc. you watch on NetFlix? We have rediscovered a lot of “long forgotten” movies and TV series by using the “Love It” etc rating system.

CNet had an E-Article this week about Netflix planning on competing with HBO w the launch of their new series…and too they mentioned the slow down and blocking of movie studios newest releases to NF. Read that: Revenue Competition!!?

FWIW: We ONLY subscribe to the streaming Netflix option, and not the mail DVD disc. Simple reason is that, back in the Hollywood Video et al DVD rental days, I got tired of paying top $ for the latest movies on DVD and then having them “hang” because of smeg or other unknown substances/ scratches /etc. on the disc from previous users that caused the DVD to error out. F That!

Also, AMAZON PRIME - IMO: Don’t bother, unless you would like the option to “purchase” and archive some movies in digital format. The selection of streaming “1,000’s of movies and new releases” promised by them as one of their “Prime” members is much less satisfactory than those available via Netflix, Hulu, or HD Cable offerings IMO.
I guess the ansewer to your question would be PC since my TV has the Netflix app built in and Im viewing via wireless. I havent noticed more or less online via my comp or my TV.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I really enjoy the Netflix streaming and use it a lot more than I ever did the DVD service. For three people in my household with varying tastes in that kind of entertainment to be able to watch virtually unlimited content 24 hours a day is well worth $8.99 a month.
I have discovered some truly great movies that I never would have seen or even heard of otherwise. (I like films from the '60s and '70s, foreign and independent films, documentaries, etc.)
You do have to spend a lot of time looking through a lot of duds though.
60 to 70 percent of the movies I start looking at, I never watch more than 20 minutes of....but, at least I don't have to mail it back before I can try the next one.

I'm not usually into the 'latest releases' and such but I was pleasantly surprised just last week to find two recent movies on the list that I did want to see.... The 2011 version of "True Grit" and "Kill the Irishman"...both were great and were alone well worth the full month's fees..
Been wanting to se that.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Over Christmas we spent some time at my sis in laws, they have a new 3-d t.v. and I was blown away by the picture while streaming Netflix. We watch on our laptops and older big box projection t.v. and the pic is tolerable.

Shawn

"Don't let fatigue make a coward of you."
Old 01-07-2012, 02:25 PM

We got rid of cable and just watch Netflix(Xbox). We love it. They do have a ton of stuff if you search for it, not just going by what they have on their front page of things.

A government is a body of people, usually, notably ungoverned-shepherd brook in firefly

join the PY group on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8742503&ref=ts

become a fan of PY on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...9458653?ref=ts
Old 01-07-2012, 04:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just noticed they have all three seasons of American Muscle Car

Old 01-07-2012, 09:13 PM
Senior Chief

It's still only $7.99 here....we had it for around a year. The kids find stuff to watch and I watch mainly the movies, there's some good documentaries on there as well.

Now that the Blockbuster chain has shut down there isn't anywhere close with rentals, Blockbuster squeezed out all the smaller owner/operated stores and now Blockbuster is gone so they screwed us twice over. I'd rather have the smaller places back but that's not going to happen with the PPV and Netflix taking over. PPV is the only other option left for me other than buying Blu Ray movies...but I can't justify the purchase price just to watch it once.

Last edited by PONTIAC-ONE; 01-07-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONTIAC-ONE View Post
It's still only $7.99 here....we had it for around a year. The kids find stuff to watch and I watch mainly the movies, there's some good documentaries on there as well.

Now that the Blockbuster chain has shut down there isn't anywhere close with rentals, Blockbuster squeezed out all the smaller owner/operated stores and now Blockbuster is gone so they screwed us twice over. I'd rather have the smaller places back but that's not going to happen with the PPV and Netflix taking over. PPV is the only other option left for me other than buying Blu Ray movies...but I can't justify the purchase price just to watch it once.
There's also Redbox....unless they don't have them in Canada?

Last edited by Greg Reid; 01-08-2012 at 06:30 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONTIAC-ONE View Post

Theres only one small chain left around here called Family Video. Thier prices are fair but I only rent video games for my daughter there. Very rare that I get a movie.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bump.

Has streaming content gotten any better?

Old 02-08-2013, 03:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Goathead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue 66 View Post
Everytime I want to watch a title, it says not available for instant viewing. What am I missing? Is there a better service?? Does anyone else feel like the quality of the instant viewing movies is restricted to quite a few unwatchable movies?
First off, I think netflix sucks. The streaming selection is horrible, and thier communication problem when using HDMI is inexcusable (SOUND STAYS ON AND VIDEO GOES OFF). The best selection for straming movies by far is VuDu, and the quality is not only 1080p but beyond if your system can handle it. No monthly charge, pay as you watch. 16K movie titles vs 8K from netflix, cable or satellite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJrDl3nRNCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvywdocl4GA

http://ultimategto.com/icongraf/65headtitle.jpg

Last edited by Goathead; 02-08-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Suspended

Cummon now...tell us how you really feel!!! lol

Old 02-08-2013, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn View Post
Bump.

Has streaming content gotten any better?
Nope. In fact I think its worse. But hell, I'm still paying for it!

Old 02-08-2013, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goathead View Post
First off, I think netflix sucks. The streaming selection is horrible, and thier communication problem when using HDMI is inexcusable (SOUND STAYS ON AND VIDEO GOES OFF). The best selection for straming movies by far is VuDu, and the quality is not only 1080p but beyond if your system can handle it. No monthly charge, pay as you watch. 16K movie titles vs 8K from netflix, cable or satellite.
When we do watch a movie, the movie does stop and I have to exit and start restart Netflix. happens with every other movie/TV show we watch.

A few weeks ago, I introduced my daughter to the movie GroundHog day will Bill Murray. We had to restart the movie at least three times. It would just freeze.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have no playing issues with Netflix using my antiquated ATT DSL

Old 02-08-2013, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
I have no playing issues with Netflix using my antiquated ATT DSL

Same here.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue 66 View Post
When we do watch a movie, the movie does stop and I have to exit and start restart Netflix. happens with every other movie/TV show we watch.

A few weeks ago, I introduced my daughter to the movie GroundHog day will Bill Murray. We had to restart the movie at least three times. It would just freeze.

How ironic. Restarting GroundHog Day!

Old 02-09-2013, 12:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
How ironic. Restarting GroundHog Day!
I know! I thought about that after I wrote the post.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can't remember the last time a movie froze for us. I agree that the content is limited for streaming, but we get that mostly for kids movies. We still get the discs and that seems to have just about everything.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Funny, but just since this thread was revived in the last few days, Netflix has started doing the 'Loading' thing right in the middle of a program. So far, it hasn't frozen but still, never done that before. Did it about three times last night for a total of about 15 seconds.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Goathead

I was not refering to digital freeze, but to the loss of communication when watching in 1080p format. Just like a fax machine, using 1080p HDMI (not any other format) requires constant communication (every 16 to 18 secends) in order for the video to keep streaming. If that timing slows to under so many seconds, the video only will drop out and the audio will continue, a pain in the ass. This will not happen using the lesser formats (Componet, composit or RF) because they will not transfer the 1080p format. I have never had the problem, or any of my clients, on any other service except Netflix.

Yes, streaming has gotten much better, but Netflix has gone in the other direction, limited availiability and crappy technology....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJrDl3nRNCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvywdocl4GA

http://ultimategto.com/icongraf/65headtitle.jpg

Last edited by Goathead; 02-09-2013 at 01:19 PM.