THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Funny, but just since this thread was revived in the last few days, Netflix has started doing the 'Loading' thing right in the middle of a program. So far, it hasn't frozen but still, never done that before. Did it about three times last night for a total of about 15 seconds.
Thats what we get but it never comes back.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Seen all of MONK, PSYCH, probably most of House, How I met ya mother, Big Bangk

Went through the whole production of Columbo (7 seasons) in 1/2 of January because Netfixx only allowed like 1-or-2 episodes per season.

We're on Star trek Season 1 now ...

Old 02-09-2013, 05:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I still think Netflix is a great deal. I really like the flat rate monthly fee of only $7.99 as opposed to somewhere between $1 and $5 per event.
I watch a lot of foreign films, independent films, documentaries and that kind of stuff. Things that I find while browsing that sound interesting. Most of them, I didn't even know existed until they popped up on the carousel. A fair proportion of the stuff I view, I don't even finish watching. If I don't like it, I switch it off and find something else. If I was paying per title, like with Redbox or Vudu, I'd be wasting my money....and I always have the option of using Vudu, Redbox, Hulu, etc. if there is a specific title or new release that I want to see.
Netflix is still a good deal in my opinion.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:47 AM
Suspended

Lightbulb Movie Baseline Viewed tonight for all to compare connection quality here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue 66 View Post
Netflix - Is it me?? Everytime I want to watch a title, it says not available for instant viewing. What am I missing? Is there a better service?? Does anyone else feel like the quality of the instant viewing movies is restricted to quite a few unwatchable movies?
We just finished watching these (4) Four HD Video w 5.1 Surround movies on NETFLIX back-to-back with absolutely no problems:

• Red Lights
• Fire with Fire
• Guns, Girls, Gambling
• The Company Men

I am providing the movie list (above) as a benchmark to check your viewing quality. If you have any of the same issues mentioned in the OP with these;

Suggest you check your IP, Connection Speed, and Clean out your RAM (if using Laptop for viewing), or look for something slowing your buffering and data stream.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My wife and I watched 'Red Lights" the other night. Enjoyed it. It had a definite unexpected twist...and I always like a story that keeps me guessing.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
We just finished watching these (4) Four HD Video w 5.1 Surround movies on NETFLIX back-to-back with absolutely no problems:

• Red Lights
• Fire with Fire
• Guns, Girls, Gambling
• The Company Men

I am providing the movie list (above) as a benchmark to check your viewing quality. If you have any of the same issues mentioned in the OP with these;

Suggest you check your IP, Connection Speed, and Clean out your RAM (if using Laptop for viewing), or look for something slowing your buffering and data stream.
I appreciate that. Viewing is on my 60" Samsung Smart TV. Your list, while may be of interest to you, are not the titles Im looking for. A recent hit movie once in a while would be nice. I understand the reason for posting and may check them out just to compare.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:20 PM
Suspended

Lightbulb Paul - List the specific movies you are looking to view for assistance

Quote:
I still think Netflix is a great deal. I really like the flat rate monthly fee of only $7.99 as opposed to somewhere between $1 and $5 per event.
I watch a lot of foreign films, independent films, documentaries and that kind of stuff. Things that I find while browsing that sound interesting. Most of them, I didn't even know existed until they popped up on the carousel. A fair proportion of the stuff I view, I don't even finish watching. If I don't like it, I switch it off and find something else. If I was paying per title, like with Redbox or Vudu, I'd be wasting my money....and I always have the option of using Vudu, Redbox, Hulu, etc. if there is a specific title or new release that I want to see.
Netflix is still a good deal in my opinion.
I agree with you Greg.

Anyone who has a problem finding specific movies would be best assisted in finding them in another venue by listing the titles they can not find.

IIRC: Within the past couple of years ALL movie companies and distributers have been holding back on their new releases to various live/ on demand formats, etc.

It all boils down to the contract $s. Think of the "But Not On DISH" commercial blasts for what Im talking about.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

• Red Lights
• Fire with Fire
• Guns, Girls, Gambling
• The Company Men

I have not heard of one of these movies.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Goathead

Quote:
I agree with you Greg.

IIRC: Within the past couple of years ALL movie companies and distributers have been holding back on their new releases to various live/ on demand formats, etc.
Not compleately true. VuDu (a movie format), has all the movies released on line the same day as the DVD release date.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJrDl3nRNCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvywdocl4GA

http://ultimategto.com/icongraf/65headtitle.jpg
Old 02-11-2013, 10:09 AM
Suspended

Default Each to their own!

Quote:
When we do watch a movie, the movie does stop and I have to exit and start restart Netflix. happens with every other movie/TV show we watch.

A few weeks ago, I introduced my daughter to the movie GroundHog day will Bill Murray. We had to restart the movie at least three times. It would just freeze.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
I have no playing issues with Netflix using my antiquated ATT DSL
Quote:
Funny, but just since this thread was revived in the last few days, Netflix has started doing the 'Loading' thing right in the middle of a program. So far, it hasn't frozen but still, never done that before. Did it about three times last night for a total of about 15 seconds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goathead View Post
I was not refering to digital freeze, but to the loss of communication when watching in 1080p format. Just like a fax machine, using 1080p HDMI (not any other format) requires constant communication (every 16 to 18 secends) in order for the video to keep streaming. If that timing slows to under so many seconds, the video only will drop out and the audio will continue, a pain in the ass. This will not happen using the lesser formats (Componet, composit or RF) because they will not transfer the 1080p format. I have never had the problem, or any of my clients, on any other service except Netflix.

Yes, streaming has gotten much better, but Netflix has gone in the other direction, limited availiability and crappy technology....
When our Netflix did this a few years ago we upgraded our WiFi Router from G to N series and no longer had the problem. We had no problem for a couple of years prior. Hence my posting of the specific movies to use as a test benchmark. If you have problems watching one of those I previously listed, then I'd suggest you check your "Pipe" "Bitrate" "StreamRate" for a solution.

Just because one uses a "SMART" 1080P TV (or other state of the art equipment) to view doesn't mean a thing IMO. Like having a HiPerformance 455 Pontiac engine using a Vega Fuel Pump and 1/4" fuel line. It's gonna bog down and stop running when you try WOT (1080P HD).

Have used Amazon HD, VuDu, Hulu, etc. and agree w Greg prefer to have more options to choose from and not have to pay for a movie to find out it's NG.

Quote:
VuDu Movie Problems
Okay now that I have spend 300+ dollars converting my movies the first movie I tried to watch was "Eraser" and I lost sound about 3/4 of the way through it, hope this isn't how vudu is going to operate. I was a huge fan and still am let just hope my 5$ movie gets its sound back 3/4 of the way in or I get a tip on how to fix it......250 movies in and the problems begin to show themselves.

http://forum.vudu.com/showthread.php...01#post1122901
Each to their own!

Last edited by Alvin; 02-11-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 1967Tempest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goathead View Post
Not compleately true. VuDu (a movie format), has all the movies released on line the same day as the DVD release date.
I have Netflix and LOVE it ! I will never get rid of it. I have 2 DVDs at a time with streaming. Between the two if they don't have it no one will.

I also have VUDU built into the TV. It is awesome. You wanna watch "Flight" the day it comes out. For full 1080P with surround sound $6.41. No trip to the Redbox or what ever no leaving the house, no nothing. Click yes and watch now. If you had told me when I was a kid in the 80's that I could have a cable attached to the TV and watch damn near anything I wanted not now, but right now, I would have said no way.

All of the "subscription" streaming services have limited libraries. Not because they don't want you to see it, but rather they wanna make money on the Blu-Rays at Best Buy and Target to squeeze some more blood from that stone.

One last thing about Netflix. They are coming out with a lot of great programming for just Netflix customers.

Lilly Hammer was great.
They are releasing NEW episodes of Arrested Development
Just came out with a new show called House of Cards
PLUS they release ALL of the season at once. No waiting!!!!

Start watching All of CHEERS and Twin Peaks!!!!

The Burb Files
Old 02-11-2013, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I finally got around to watching Twin Peaks. Never watched it back in the day when it was current. I really, really liked it. My wife and I were both disappointed when we got to the end since we know that we'll never get the answers to all of the story lines. Oh well...
We were also fans of "Doc Martin"...nice, quirky English comedy.

Our favorite now is "Madmen" ...Just wondering when they are going to add the new season? If you watch 5 years worth of a show in a month and it takes a year to get the next episode, you kinda forget where you were....But I do LOVE being able to watch an entire season of a show at my leisure.
BTW, I heard recently that Disney has come on board with Netflix. That should provide for some great title additions.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Goathead

Quote:
When our Netflix did this a few years ago we upgraded our WiFi Router from G to N series and no longer had the problem. We had no problem for a couple of years prior. Hence my posting of the specific movies to use as a test benchmark. If you have problems watching one of those I previously listed, then I'd suggest you check your "Pipe" "Bitrate" "StreamRate" for a solution.
Alvin, I retired last year and closed my own A/V business after 35 years. I started when four track tapes were new, and retired during the digital world we now live in.

I am using Cable Internet service and I am at 35 mb plus and have had an N router since they were introduced and this is a hard wired system. I test my system regularly, and have no issues with any streaming format except Netflix. Not HuLu, Roku, smart TV, Directv etc., just Netflix. If someone is using direct streaming on a smart TV, or without introducing a home theater into the mix, there is probably no problem. Bottom line is that Netflix is a slow system, so asking it to deliver 1080p in real time without it pre loading and watching later, it sucks. Other lesser formats like 720p should not be an issue, but for 1080p and beyond, good luck...I wonder what they are gonna do when the 4k TV's demand even faster content?

PS: I have over 500 clients and this problem is common for Netflix only on about 10% of them. My comments on Netflix is based in lots of data, and does not mean Netflix is not for many, but as far as MOVIE content and QUALITY of picture, it's pretty much bottom of the line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJrDl3nRNCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvywdocl4GA

http://ultimategto.com/icongraf/65headtitle.jpg
Old 02-11-2013, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 1967Tempest

I forgot to mention that my Netflix/VUDU/Hulu/CinemaNow/Pandora Is on a wired Cat5 line. I only run wireless to laptops...

The Burb Files
Old 02-11-2013, 06:14 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up

Both excellent points Goathead & 67Tempest.

I too have been around since the Analog days.., Audiophile etc. Still have 1st Gen equipment not in use...in the achieves. Example: Have a Sansui PCM that converts analog music to digital tape using ANY VCR unit...and you can watch the multi-band bit-streams on a video monitor... Denon Amps, Harmon Kardon Triple-Head Cassette...

FWIW: Current system is a full surround Audio/Video System Yamaha Head Unit, w self powered Auto Detect Sub and 5.1 DTS HD, video is 1080P HD; music room has similar setup w a 7.1 surround HK system and same as above video.

• Forgot to mention that also had to have a COMCAST MODEM UPGRADE about same time as NETFLIX issues started to happen.

• At first, a simple modem unplug and reboot or reset would do the trick, but the IP (Comcast) was throttling our bit stream back and forth depending on their whims...

Old 02-12-2013, 08:46 AM
Suspended

Default House of Cards 2013 Netflix series worth watching

Quote:
I finally got around to watching Twin Peaks. Never watched it back in the day when it was current. I really, really liked it. My wife and I were both disappointed when we got to the end since we know that we'll never get the answers to all of the story lines. Oh well...
We were also fans of "Doc Martin"...nice, quirky English comedy.

Our favorite now is "Madmen" ...Just wondering when they are going to add the new season? If you watch 5 years worth of a show in a month and it takes a year to get the next episode, you kinda forget where you were....But I do LOVE being able to watch an entire season of a show at my leisure.
BTW, I heard recently that Disney has come on board with Netflix. That should provide for some great title additions.
Yes agree Greg. We started watching the new NETFLIX series HOUSE of CARDS last night...1st couple of 13 episodes so far that have a great start. Contemporary with a great cast of characters and actors.

Also:
We Have a Pope (Film)

was an interesting movie on Netflix this past holiday season. An interesting plot twist that now seems very timely.

Quote:
We Have a Pope is a 2011 Italian comedy-drama film directed by Nanni Moretti.[1] Its original title is Habemus Papam, the Latin phrase used upon the announcement of a new pope. The film stars Michel Piccoli as a cardinal who, against his wishes, is elected pope. Moretti co-stars as a psychiatrist who is called in to help the pope overcome his panic.[2] The film premiered in Italy in April 2011 and played in competition at the 64th Cannes Film Festival.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Have_a_Pope_(film)
IMO This movie is worth the time to watch and more of a Drama and actually goes through the whole appointment process. Includes some of the inner-drama prior to nominating...and everything from inside the Vatican inner sanctums and the Cardinals viewpoint, to the waiting masses of followers...

Old 02-12-2013, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

House of Cards...that's with Kevin Spacey, right? If so, I noticed that on there a couple of nights ago. I'll keep that other in mind too. Italian films are usually among my favorites.
As to the original topic, something came up last night that might be of interest... Netflix was giving me problems last night very similar to some of the complaints in this thread. I had to UNPLUG my device and restart it three times before I could even get started watching anything. It was locking up that badly. My son happens to be here on leave and offered to try his PS3.. It immediately informed us that an update was pending. We updated and the loading speed was blindingly fast after that.
I decided to retry my LP Blue Ray player, which is my usual device, before going to bed and I searched for updates manually. There were updates for the drivers so I did that. Not sure yet if it'll make a difference. I'll try it tonight.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Everytime I want to watch a title, it says not available for instant viewing. What am I missing? Is there a better service?? Does anyone else feel like the quality of the instant viewing movies is restricted to quite a few unwatchable movies?
We watch Netflix almost every night in the winter and have never seen that message. Are you watching what is on their menu or are you entering in the titles you want without seeing if they are even available on Netflix?

A proud Veteran who is the proud son of a Veteran and the proud father of a Veteran

"Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media; which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:56 PM
Suspended

Talking

Quote:
House of Cards...that's with Kevin Spacey, right?...
Yessir. That's the one-HOC.

Our BlueRay usually auto-prompts us, when it is time to update the firmware. Sounds like this u[grade - the one you mentioned - is a specific NETFLIX update, yes?

No problems as of last night HOC episodes 1-4 BUT of...course probably jinxed me now and will crappo out tonite. lol

Old 02-12-2013, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, the auto update on my son's PS3 was specific to Netflix. I never looked for updates on my Blueray because I'm used to these types of things auto-updating. After this experience, I decided to look for updates and found one pending. So, I just did it. I have no idea if it will effect Netflix as it was 0330 hours and I hit the rack...lol