Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-01-2022, 09:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Early 60s fuel pump question

If you clamp an early 60s single line fuel pump in a vise to check it out, should you feel a noticeable suction on the input when you manually function it? I would guess that it would be pretty noticeable....or not?
Thx for any replies.

Old 08-01-2022, 09:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes it is!Tom

Old 08-02-2022, 06:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If your thinking about reusing a 60s era pump just because it still works then your in for a let down!
If the fuel you will be running thru it has Ethanol in it then that pumps diaphragm will brake down on you very fast.

Old 08-02-2022, 10:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I actually have 2 pumps that I'm trying to determine if they work by doing a bench test. If I place my thumb over the input and cycle the pump by hand, I'm not impressed by the suction I'm feeling. One pump is the unrepairable type that's been in the car for long time. The other is a rebuilt unit that's been stored under good conditions for a long time. Not sure either is actually in working condition.

Old 08-02-2022, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So was the pump your considering using rebuilt a good number of years after Ethanol was introduced in fuel?
If so and if the pump was sealed up in a plastic bag then it should stiil work, that is if it was never run before.