Old 01-06-2013, 02:40 PM

Default Reupholstered seats

Anyone else get their 2nd gen front seats redone and find after finished with new foam your head hits the headliner? I had mine redone and just got them installed a year later and I hate them. The seat foam causes them to sit so high. I was going to take them back and have the foam cut down. Any other similar issues?

Old 01-26-2013, 04:05 PM

I thought the same thing about it being slightly higher but since I'm only a little over 5'10" my head doesn't hit. The one thing is I wasn't totally happy with the finish even though I had a well known and respected shop do the install. I just don't think the covers fit that great even with new foams.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:39 PM

We put new springs and foam on my brothers 69 and had that problem, it is a little better now after some use. Recovered my 75's myself, used some memory foam as a filler, looks great and very comfortable.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:43 AM
Suspended

When my seats got rebuilt they were a bit higher too, but it didn't bother me as I'm only 5' 8" so it made me sit up where I use to sit & now it's time to rebuild them again as it's been about 30 yearswhen they wer done the first time.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:38 AM

I called the shop that did my seats and the owner stated to me that since I brought in my own foams he wont tear them down and fix it at his cost. I have to cover the repair on the seats. No problem with me, as I sat in them and hated how high and awkward I sat. I'm 5'11 and that way I sat was high and leaned back. To say the least it was very uncomfortable. Thanks for the responses, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one but sorry it happened to others.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't forget the wire suspension that the "butt foam" sits on could have been collapsed on your originals,which MAY have given you a tad MORE headroom.....

JMO: I see very FEW re-covered 73-76 "horsecollar" seats that look good.......most of them just look terrible...wrinkled,loose fitting,& sloppy looking....

I think the big problem is the reproduction covers are just cut WRONG & they need to be re-sized to look /fit right.

Eye Candy......garage band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUPcHxHRx3s

Go full screen & turn it UP!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

the only brand of seat foams that I'm aware of that has the correct give to them is American Cushion Industries. The others are mostly overseas made and don't fit right or allow you to sink into them. Here's a good post on the difference:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=710916

Old 02-03-2013, 03:15 PM

Use your originals and just add a layer of 1" memory foam glued to the original. Mine are PUI covers. Not the best, but they are nice and tight and sit the same as before. I fixed all the broken springs as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seat1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	312037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Seat2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	312038  

Last edited by Mr. T/A; 02-03-2013 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Added picture