1982-92 TA & FB TECH 1993-2002 TA & FB Tech is now part of the new Late Model Section of the PY Forums. Click this link to check it out.

Old 01-06-2006, 12:20 PM

Default 1978 Pontiac Grand Lemans

Ok So what I have Is a 1978 Pontiac Grand Lemans 2dr. It has the 305/th200 and I'm not sure where to find parts. My wifes grandmother purchased this new in 78. So I have almost all the paperwork/maintenance records and so forth. It is two tone red that needs redone and white interior. Only thing not original are the wheels( it has baby moons) so what is a car like this worth? I'm not selling it , but is it worth totally restoring or maybe just hot rodding it. Any help would be great. Thanks

P.S. i will try to post a pic today if possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00146.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	37905   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00148.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	37906  

Last edited by chevyman; 01-06-2006 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

These cars really aren't very collectible, so rather than doing a restoration, I'd make a nice, clean cruiser out of it.

As for parts, engine and mechanical parts shouldn't be a problem, as many are shared with the other, more popular G-bodies i.e. the '78-'87 Montes, Grand Prixs, Malibus, Regals. If you want to run true dual exhaust, there is a guy who makes custom dual-hump crossmembers that I could put you in touch with, for about $150 as I recall.

As you saw in my other post, I am parting out a 4 door car, so I might have parts that you need. Where are you located?

If you decide to freshen up the suspension, I have a set of powdercoated front control arms with all new Moog ball joints and GM rubber bump stops, as well as Energy Suspension polygraphite bushings installed, all with zero miles. $200 plus shipping. I also have a set of new front springs that should lower the car a bit, and a nice set of gold 15x7 snowflake wheels, which look pretty good on these cars IMO.

She looks good!

Old 01-11-2006, 04:47 PM
Suspended

if you part it out, I could use some trim pieces.

Old 01-13-2006, 12:49 AM
Senior Chief

those are worth a little bit of money to the right Pontiac people. What color is the dash and carpet? You could order the white seats with any color dash/carpet/pillar trim/package shelf/steering column. 78s were cool cause they had the brushed aluminum guages. Grand Prix bucket seats and consoles will bolt right in. And the rest of the interior will swap between Grand Prixs. All the suspension stuff is the same as the other g-body cars. If it were mine i'd hop it up a bit. it's already set-up for a SBC, so you're on your way to saving money already. Looks like a pretty nice car

Old 01-13-2006, 01:15 AM

Thanks for the info. The dash and carpet are black. Also great to hear that interior pieces interchange. i need the pieces that go down beside the rear window and below the window. And since it has the chevy 305 would be pretty simple to put in a stroker 383 and I already have the th350 tranny to swap out the th200. Just need a few interior pieces and a paint job to put it back together. Does anybody know where to get the taillights and the grill where the turn signal is. Those both need replaced and the trim for the rear and front bumper. The car has 117000 original miles on it. I just dont know whether to restore or sort of hot rod.

Old 01-13-2006, 01:12 PM
Senior Chief

those trim pieces you need for the rear window...do you mean inside or outside? if it's the plastic trim inside around the rear windows, you'll probably need to get that from another Lemans or Malibu. The door panels and lower panels for the back seat should be the same from a Grand Prix. Sorry for the misinformation on that

Old 01-13-2006, 06:25 PM
Senior Chief

Default G2

The Malibu interior plastic under the side windows is different. Grand Am, Lemans and Grand Lemans are the only ones that will work. The G/A plastic is wider, or taller. Although the Grand Prix and Malibu door panels will work, they will not be correct.
As for the tail lights these are fairly plentifull, esp. if you arent looking for the exact correct ones. They are on ebay often and they rarely get a bid. I think bonniville will work too. I have one side I bought for the housing. I dont need the lens or bezel. I'll get a picture and email it to you.shipping only if it will work.