Old 11-20-2022, 05:48 PM
Senior Chief

Default How Much Base and Clear Do I Need ?

After 5 years my painter is finally, FINALLY ! ready to shoot my Tiger Gold '66 GTO.

So I have the entire car to paint, jams, under deck lid and no vinyl top. I'm buying the paint from RM and it's oh my god expensive these days for high quality stuff so I want some left over but not a whole bunch. he suggested a gallon and a half of base and 2 gallons clear . does that sound about right ?

Old 11-20-2022, 06:22 PM
Senior Chief

I painted a 63 Bonneville. I bought 1 gal of base and 1 gal of clear and had plenty left over. 4 coats of base and 4 coats of clear. I used the HVLP paint system.

Old 11-20-2022, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I assume by your shock at the price it’s a 1:1 base? If so you’d have 3 gallons sprayable. (Only 2.25 gallons sprayable if a 2:1 base) Should be enough but no idea of the year car (assuming 66/67?), if color change you have jambs, underneath trunk lid, coverage (opacity)etc. They’d do a spray out card to see how many coats of base needed. Vinyl top? I’d want more clear on hand (4:1 mix?) especially if they plan to flow coat.
Love that color

Old 11-20-2022, 06:47 PM
Senior Chief

Yes, '66. no top and not a color change but a complete job.

Yes I believe RM is 1 to1. so a gallon and a half may be overkill but not stupid.

I have a half gallon of RM clear so if I get 2 more that sounds like overkill as well then. he's going to cut it pretty good so I'm sure he'll lay it on pretty thick.

If this sounds logical, I'll go with that. I'm not trying to cheap out I just don't want to be ridiculous.

Old 11-20-2022, 07:13 PM
Senior Chief

You really need to know the specific base and clear he is using. Paint prices have risen dramatically over the past year.

R&M is usually 2:1 as is most of the Bosch lineup for solvent based paints. I'm a PPG guy and Deltron basecoats are 1:1. Based on PPG, I'll buy 2 gallons of color and apply 1.5 gallons of color on a A body (3 coats) with jams, and under deck lid. I'll have leftover for future touch-ups with the same mix. Not sure which R&M product he is using so it's hard to tell the solids, if it's a lesser tier paint, it won't cover as quick and need more product.

PPG Concept Clear is 4:2:1 and I'll use 1 gallon usually but I'll have extra on hand just in case.

Old 11-20-2022, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Depends on how well the base covers...some are 3 coats other color many more coats.
Just use the recommended tinted sealer to minimize the number of coats needed for full color coverage.

Like noted above....do a spray out card to get an idea of coverage....and get the 2 gallons of clear...you can always return an un opened can

The Following User Says Thank You to MUSLCAH For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2022, 08:50 PM
Senior Chief

Sheet says mix 2:1 or 1:1. I've done a spray out since getting the right color was up to me and it covers very good.

Crap maybe I'll just get 2 gallons to be safe . it's a factory special order color tri power, 4spd rust free 2 owner car it's worth making sure he doesn't run out of paint .

Old 11-20-2022, 09:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you plan on long term ownership, be sure to buy more basecoat than you need. Even if you order the exact same formula again it may not be an exact match if you have to do a repair - especially if you are dealing with small amounts (quarts/pints) - BTDT.

The Following User Says Thank You to bdk1976 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2022, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

LOL, 2 gallons sounds like more than you will need, so I'd get 2 gallons of base!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 11-21-2022, 11:22 AM

I painted a '68, including under the hood and deck lid, painted the firewall and wheel wells with one complete gallon. 4 coats (plus a couple extra coats on the deck lid to fix a problem). Oh, also painted the core support and cover.

Old 11-21-2022, 09:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would definitely shop around for paint - the top brands aren't always the way to go for restos, IMO. Napa may be a decent option if you have them local - if not check sites like autobody101 and see where folks are buying their custom basecoats online these days. I painted my Iris Mist '65 15 years ago using 'valspar' which I don't think makes auto paint anymore(?), but it was a fraction of the price of PPG from the local jobber at the time. I paid less for ALL of my paint and reducers as they wanted to charge me for ONE gallon of basecoat - reducer extra - and it matched the factory paint chip and original paint on car almost perfectly. PPG said up front their mix was 'too purple" and for complete paint jobs only! For what my car has seen in the last 15 years, which is probably 10x more than most cars on this site (sans racers) will see in 50+ years, the paint job has held up GREAT in spite of its weather exposure and general use. As I mentioned earlier, I would be sure to buy extra from whatever place you get it so it is all from the same batch for matching/repair purposes in the future. Seems expensive now but could turn out to be some cheap (in $ and headaches) insurance down the road if/when you damage the paint.

Keep in mind that just about any modern paint system you put on your car will probably look great and outlast you - hell even a lacquer job would probably last 150 years the way most of these cars are treated nowadays. This is why color match is #1 aspect in my mind if doing a restoration. You can always put a top tier clearcoat on it if you want - probably not necessary as something like SPI (I cannot personally vouch for, but many can) would probably work out well.

Coverage can also vary due to brand/line (lower lines are generally said to cover less, requiring more base), and your spraying/gun setup (HVLP, LVLP, turbine, etc.) which can affect how much base is put on the car vs how much is sucked out the exhaust of the booth.

Old 11-22-2022, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

my painter uses dupont chromabase. for all 3 of my cars 1 gallon was more than enough & i had more than a pint or so left over. the 72 firebird was a color change so painted all jams & underside of trunk lid, had about 1 pint left over & half a qt can of reduced left. 1 gal of clear was enough too. 4 coats of base, 3 coats of clear.

Old 12-05-2022, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Well it must be in paint, by now!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Old 12-06-2022, 06:42 PM
Senior Chief

How much paint did he actually use.

Old 12-15-2022, 07:06 PM
Senior Chief

Is it done yet? we are waiting.

Old 01-06-2023, 06:56 PM
Senior Chief

Is it painted yet?

Old 01-08-2023, 04:19 PM
Senior Chief

I wish. still setting there but he promises he's going to get it soon.

I'm telling you this painter thing is insane anymore, I'd take it somewhere else but there's nobody to take it to. I'm headed towards 6 years getting this thing painted, and I did most of the work. I'm going to keep looking for someone else all it needs is another blocking or two and shot, it just isn't a big job.

But for the paint it's all setting here ready to go, $2800 for 1 1/2 gallons base and 2 gallons of Glamor Clear and hardener along with the thinners. not as bad as I figured actually.

Old 01-08-2023, 06:40 PM
Senior Chief

Glad it is still in the works.

Old 01-08-2023, 06:59 PM
Senior Chief

Part of my mistake is taking uit to friends, the first place was a friend who's as good of painter as any in the state but he just got so busy he couldn't finish it. he felt bad and told me if I could find someone to finish it he wouldn't even charge for getting it almost ready to shoot. so I took it to another semi-friend who's also good but like a lot of painters he's kind of burnt out and not over motivated. I'm willing to pay whatever it takes but the few place who'll even talk to me are booked for a couple years out. this guy will finish it before that...I hope.

I've been finishing some other projects so it's not like I needed it home anyway , but I'm leaning on him harder now. nice thing is I have everything rebuilt or restored just setting here so getting it on the road once I get it back won't take long.

The Following User Says Thank You to AMX guy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2023, 08:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ttt

Shut it off
Shut it off