Old 12-06-2022, 03:25 PM
Senior Chief

Default Front parking brake cable removal

Trying to remove the front parking brake cable on my 1967 GTO. I know the tabs have to be depressed to push it down through the floor. The problem is that the coiled wrap is so stiff that there is little flex in the assembly, and if I understand correctly, the part that goes through the frame also has to be pushed inward so essentially, both ends have to be pushed in towards each other so they will be behind the wheel well and the firewall. I can't get enough flex in the cable assembly to get either end out. The car is completely together and I'm just trying to replace all the cables due to age and dry rot on the rubber parts. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-06-2022, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you're going to throw the old cable away, the easiest way to deal with stubborn tabs is a screwdriver. Just pry open a single tab to the point which it snaps off. Then move to the next one. I've also had a (IIRC) 9/16" box end wrench serve me well before, slip it over to compress them.

Oh, and don't overlook unbolting the entire assembly. It might make life easier?

Old 12-06-2022, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've seen people compressing them with various things. a socket or a wrench. I thought that this idea was pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAef545u4dk

The Following User Says Thank You to 66sprint6 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2022, 09:02 AM

I use the hose clamp method every time. Quick and easy.

Old 12-08-2022, 12:45 AM

Yep, X2 on the hose clamp!

Old 12-08-2022, 12:04 PM
Senior Chief

Cool

Ok,got it out, I used a cutting wheel and cut that top crown on 2 different sides and pryed it apart with a screwdriver. Then I was able to tie a nylon peice of thin rope with a slip knot around the cable between the wheel well and wrapped the other end around my screwdriver to pry against the frame and pulled it down and out of the floorboard.
Boy it's gonna be fun putting the new one in.