Old 12-03-2022, 11:55 AM

Default 66 bonneville conv heater core replacement

Hello - i am looking to replace the heater core in a 66 Bonneville convertible with AC. I have read that the fender must be removed and i have read that the fender doesn't need removed. I started to remove the inner cover a while ago but ended up aborting that to get ready for a car show. I was hoping that i can just remove the inner cover. thanks for any help.

Old 12-04-2022, 07:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm fairly sure you have to remove the heater box INSIDE the car. The heater core is contained within that box. No quick and easy job as you will have to remove the glove box and possibly the top of the dash. Not a hard job though, just time consuming.

From under the hood, all you will need to do is remove the heater hoses from the pipes which protrude through the outer case.

I'll clarify what I've said above in that I've only worked on B body cars with factory A/C but I still say I'm going to be right

Old 12-07-2022, 08:38 AM

thank you. I did start to remove the inner box and it appeared that I could get to all the screws & bolts. But then it looked like there could be some other bolts or screws coming from the firewall side, which I couldn't get to unless removing the outer box. But it sounds like if I can get to and remove all the screws and bolts that I can see from inside the car, I should be able to pry on that cover until it comes off and reveals the core. I just didn't want to pry on the box if there were some hidden screws still holding it on. thanks again.

Old 12-08-2022, 01:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think that you only have remove or loosen the fender is if you are changing the blower. I am getting ready to change my blower on my 66 2+2 conv. I plan to remove fender when I do mine.

Old 12-08-2022, 06:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure how similar your 66 is to a 68 A-body, the A-bodies have three studs that are made into the interior heater case and protrude through the firewall to the engine side where they have nuts on them. Two of them are easy to spot on the firewall just behind the passenger side cylinder head.

The 68 A-body heater cases have I think four bolts that screw into the firewall from the interior side, and the three studs that have nuts on the engine side. Only one of them is hard to get to, on the bottom side of AC case (in engine compartment) close to the area where the blower is.