Old 11-15-2020, 06:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default ‘66 GTO rag joint

Looking for a correct reproduction of this part for my power steering equipped ‘66 GTO. Photos attached of my original part. Rubber disc has a sizeable split in it. Ames shows a replacement part S128J in their catalog, but it is listed as an After Product, so it is not a reproduction and does not look like the original part as shown in my pictures. There are many, many aftermarket versions of this part available, but I haven’t found an accurate reproduction yet in my searching. Somebody save me more hours on line looking at the same “wrong” stuff, and tell me where you bought an accurate reproduction of this part.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EF79C6D0-0005-4A84-9860-6AF71D1C7D02.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	554007   Click image for larger version

Name:	DC545F3F-D6C1-4EFE-8E4B-F0921EE85306.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	554008  

Old 11-15-2020, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you can't find the original style you may want to consider this repair kit from Corvette America.

https://www.topflightautomotive.com/...er-repair-kit/

Old 11-15-2020, 10:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes, I looked at a couple of these type kits. The original rag joint has a small diameter and a large diameter stud that engages two similar sized slots in the flange that attaches to the end of the steering shaft. These two studs are riveted in place(see pic below). The replacement studs in these kits appear to be designed to bolt in place with a nut and lock washer. No doubt this will function with no problem, but instead of the large flat rivet heads that appear on the original part, I would now have two threaded studs retained by nuts and lock washers. At least that’s how the parts in these kits appear to me. Am I missing something?

Old 11-15-2020, 10:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Oops, forgot to ask what is the purpose of the short wire that connects between one of the through bolts and the adjoining stud?

Old 11-15-2020, 11:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I believe it’s the ground for the horn

Old 11-15-2020, 11:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry M. Hunt View Post
Yes, I looked at a couple of these type kits. The original rag joint has a small diameter and a large diameter stud that engages two similar sized slots in the flange that attaches to the end of the steering shaft. These two studs are riveted in place(see pic below). The replacement studs in these kits appear to be designed to bolt in place with a nut and lock washer. No doubt this will function with no problem, but instead of the large flat rivet heads that appear on the original part, I would now have two threaded studs retained by nuts and lock washers. At least that’s how the parts in these kits appear to me. Am I missing something?
Could you use the rubber biscuit with your hardware?

Old 11-16-2020, 12:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

One end of the small and large studs is riveted in place(peened over) to retain it. No way to remove and reuse them with another rubber piece without destroying them. Replacement studs in kits appear to be designed to be retained by nuts, so they work but won’t have the same look as the riveted version. Yeah, it’s all pretty anal but that’s the design/look I’m trying to duplicate.