Old 11-10-2020, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

years ago I tried the manifolds on a 68 the drivers side didn't fit --- had to threaten a "drive down and kick your ass" before they would refund my money

Old 11-10-2020, 07:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahn View Post
If you think getting headers on a GTO try a Firebird after doing it 5 times ,I opted for Ram Air manifolds, last time I put the d--m things on ,I decided that there was not going to be a 6th time t ihat included jacking one side of the engine up ,removing the inner fender well ,the clutch stuff starter, brake brackets, never again!!
1st Gen Firebirds are not too bad. I have had up to 2" both D-port and round port on mine. The Hookers had a tube that wrapped around the passenger side frame. But the Mad Dogs I have now are a simple fit. I had a 1974 Buick Skylark with a 428 Pontiac, D-ports, . The headers were a pain.. if I remember right they were a set for a 2nd Gen Firebird.

Old 11-10-2020, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I put RA/HO manifolds on the 81 TA there were several that had to be taped in the manifold as it was put up as the bolts were too long to get in past the frame and upper A arm. So not a piece of cake on those either. and it closer to the starter than any of my headers.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 11-11-2020, 06:25 AM

Default Header install

Hello all, years ago my buddy and I were running ram IV's .He in a 65 and me in a 64 GTO .I bolted the headers to a 614 using all the bolts except number 4 . Then we welded a nut to the header flange and used a grade 8 bolt from the top.It was still a pain to install them but this was easier on number 3 tube.

Old 11-11-2020, 01:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with Skip on the RA headers. After years of installing nothing but headers it was necessary to shift gears and get the correct assembly order for the RA installation. Nothing serious, but setting manifold in place and finding out the bolts had to go in first, then having them drop out until we taped them in place on the manifold. Just depends on what you are used to.

Dougs have never given us a problem unless there was previous accident damage, but that doesn't mean that the jig didn't slip and the set you purchased were fubar'd. We've installed probably nine sets on '67 GTO's and six or seven on 66's, and a couple on 65's. Record for my son for a '67 was 18 minutes from headers in the box until fully tightened down on the engine. Other side of the record was over four hours on our 2+2 headers -- just one of those times where nothing went right.

Old 11-11-2020, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed View Post
I agree with Skip on the RA headers. After years of installing nothing but headers it was necessary to shift gears and get the correct assembly order for the RA installation. Nothing serious, but setting manifold in place and finding out the bolts had to go in first, then having them drop out until we taped them in place on the manifold. Just depends on what you are used to.

Dougs have never given us a problem unless there was previous accident damage, but that doesn't mean that the jig didn't slip and the set you purchased were fubar'd. We've installed probably nine sets on '67 GTO's and six or seven on 66's, and a couple on 65's. Record for my son for a '67 was 18 minutes from headers in the box until fully tightened down on the engine. Other side of the record was over four hours on our 2+2 headers -- just one of those times where nothing went right.
Another friend has a set of Dougs on his '65. But his is an automatic. I was really disappointed that they didnt fit, this car has a 4 speed with an aftermarket bell housing. That may have made a difference but I really dont know.

Old 11-11-2020, 05:13 PM

Default Header install

Hello again, in post 44 I forgot to add the bolt I installed was 5/16 to go thru the existing tapped hole. Sorry it was 5 am .

Old 11-18-2020, 11:27 AM
Senior Chief

Just did a install on original RA II manifolds on 68 GTO. I had removed a set of repo RA IV 2.5" manifolds that were on car and fit much tighter. What I found that worked well was to put a stud in two holes near opposite ends that did not interfere with A arm or frame. Place gasket in place over studs, used small clips on opposite ends to clamp gasket in place on edge of head. Removed studs. Then placed front manifold bolt hole (closest to radiator) to respective mounting hole and put bolt in about 2 to 3 threads. Then gently let manifold rest on crossmember and put the bolt in that had interference with chassis and raised in to place to also engage 2 to 3 threads. Removed clamps holding gasket. Then with manifold in place was able to finger tighten all the bolts. I did remove motor mount bolt on side I was working on and placed floor jack and board under oil pan offset to side of engine I wanted to raise. Gently raised engine on that side as high as possible (loosen other motor mount bolt so engine can rotate). I was able to remove passenger side and do install from top. However driver side had to come out and in through bottom due to steering shaft. Also driver side I had to remove starter and clutch countershaft as well. I did an install of Dougs on 69 Firebird automatic car and was amazed how easy they went in. Raising the motor on the side you are working on helps a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1345.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	554230  

Old 11-18-2020, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcronk View Post
Just did a install on original RA II manifolds on 68 GTO. I had removed a set of repo RA IV 2.5" manifolds that were on car and fit much tighter. What I found that worked well was to put a stud in two holes near opposite ends that did not interfere with A arm or frame. Place gasket in place over studs, used small clips on opposite ends to clamp gasket in place on edge of head. Removed studs. Then placed front manifold bolt hole (closest to radiator) to respective mounting hole and put bolt in about 2 to 3 threads. Then gently let manifold rest on crossmember and put the bolt in that had interference with chassis and raised in to place to also engage 2 to 3 threads. Removed clamps holding gasket. Then with manifold in place was able to finger tighten all the bolts. I did remove motor mount bolt on side I was working on and placed floor jack and board under oil pan offset to side of engine I wanted to raise. Gently raised engine on that side as high as possible (loosen other motor mount bolt so engine can rotate). I was able to remove passenger side and do install from top. However driver side had to come out and in through bottom due to steering shaft. Also driver side I had to remove starter and clutch countershaft as well. I did an install of Dougs on 69 Firebird automatic car and was amazed how easy they went in. Raising the motor on the side you are working on helps a lot.
I really wish the RARE Ram Air manifolds would have been available. They are still having issues with the foundry and don't really have a solid date for production
I am confident the Tri-Ys will fot after talking to them though.

Old 11-18-2020, 12:23 PM
Senior Chief

Scott I believe the ones I took off the car are the RARE versions. They were on the car when I bought it. The car was raced in factory stock events. I do have a receipt for the purchase at TA Nationals a few years ago. It does not have a description other than "manifolds". Attached a few pics of them. I do know a person who did work on this car and he posts here sometimes. I will see if he knows for sure. I will probably be selling them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002 (70).jpg
Views:	78
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	554233   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1035.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	554235