Old 11-13-2020, 10:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Steering wheel restoration

I know this has been discussed before, but wanted to see if there is any updated information regarding the restoration of a steering wheel. This is a black steering wheel with a few cracks. I have researched the process and some say recasting the entire wheel in black plastic and some say repairing/filling the cracks and painting the wheel. Has anyone had their wheel done recently and could give a recommendation? Thinking I may attempt repairing/filling the wheel myself, but hesitant because I never did a wheel before.

Old 11-13-2020, 01:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

As long as the existing plastic is not falling off, I'd say it's repairable with JB weld. I've done two steering wheels with cracks up to 3/16" wide. Grind out the dirt, get some fresh base material exposed. Mix up the JB weld, fill the cracks, tape them up so it doesn't dribble out (it flows for hours). It's easy to shape with files and sandpaper. The more time spent the better the result.
I painted my GTO steering wheel with epoxy, then spray cans. The spray can paint is not tough, and is wearing off. I did a second steering wheel for a Willys Jeep, and used NAPA single stage black with spray gun. Wow it is tough and looks fantastic.

Good Luck!
P.S. Pictures show some of the cracks I fixed on the GTO wheel, and the other two show the Willys wheel...final one is of the paint, (don't mind the "sitting in the garage layer of dust") The NAPA single stage paint was great stuff..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1476.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	553803   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1481.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	553804   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1482.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	553805   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190123_220950.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	553806   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190215_153202.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	553807  

Old 11-13-2020, 09:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Steering wheel restoration

I’ve done one standard black wheel and two wood wheels. The wood wheels are more difficult as far as getting the wood grain look right, but the basics of repairing the cracks are the same. I use PC 7 two part epoxy to fill the cracks. Did the wheel on my ‘65 Catalina 2+2 almost 30 years ago and it still looks great. Just finished a second wood wheel for my ‘66 GTO using the same techniques. Take your time and you can do a great job.

Old 11-14-2020, 12:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

PC 7 is good stuff. It apparently has the same expansion/contraction properties with temperature changes as the original steering wheel, so it's resistant to coming loose and cracking again. I used it on the steering wheel in my '66 F100 pickup nearly 20 years ago, and it still looks great. You should be able to find it at your local hardware store.