THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-18-2019, 04:40 PM
Senior Chief

Default Netgear Router

I have a Netgear N900 Wireless Router that belonged to my deceased brother.
Is this compatible with the Frontier Fios internet that I have coming into my house.?The directions call for hooking it up to a modem. There isn’t any modem in my current set up. He received his internet through Spectrum and there was a modem. I currently rent a Router from Frontier for $10 a month.
I’ve gone into the Netgear website with no luck in finding the info I need. From what I gather to connect to one of their techs it will cost me.
The problem is it can’t acquire my IP address. I’ve already wasted more time on it than I care too.
My router hooks into what is labeled a GigaPoint.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Frontier Fios should be a fiber optic system to your house, it operates differently than a cable based system. The Frontier supplied router probably also contains the equivalent of a fiber system modem in one package.

Frontier should have a website that lists compatible equipment if you are trying to use your own equipment and avoid the rental costs.

Configuring the router can be difficult if you aren't familiar with them.

Old 11-19-2019, 07:34 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Frontier Fios should be a fiber optic system to your house, it operates differently than a cable based system. The Frontier supplied router probably also contains the equivalent of a fiber system modem in one package.

Frontier should have a website that lists compatible equipment if you are trying to use your own equipment and avoid the rental costs.

Configuring the router can be difficult if you aren't familiar with them.
Thanks for quick response. I will go into Frontiers website and try to find a compatible router.

Old 11-19-2019, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Number one, sorry for your loss.
As for the router being compatible with your Frontier service, yes and no.

You will still need an Internet handoff from Frontier and that is accomplished with a Modem. Modems typically have shared management between homeowner and ISP since the ISP does not want people messing with their public IP addresses and security. A router serves a different purpose. So no, I don't think the Netgear router you have will replace your rented Frontier modem.

Your Netgear router will attach wirelessly or plug into (preferred) your modem.
You might already have several ports (RJ45/Ethernet) or exiting WiFi service coming from your modem and that may suffice for the whole house. Adding the Netgear router will give you more range and device options to add to your home network.