THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-21-2020, 12:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very sad news indeed.

RIP Steve and my condolences to his family and friends.

I talked to him on the phone several times about parts and he listened. He was very nice to talk to, and full of information that most wouldn't know or understand.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 12-21-2020, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am very sad to hear of Mr. Steve Ames passing. Steve was a great example of how to do everything the best way you know how. His event at Norwalk was a great example of how this was accomplished year after year. Treating people like a friend or family member was his trademark and we just loved going to the event every year and running our car as hard as possible to please the fans, his customers. When we ran particularly good or set some sort of personal best time, Steve was often the first person at our pit spot waiting for our return and offering congratulations. Steve was always the same person in the 35+ years I knew him. He knew what quality was and also what the hobby could support as far as final cost of an item. Value and correctness were always front of mind in everything he did. I will miss you, my friend. RIP. Sincere condolences to his family in these tough times. The Pontiac hobby has lost a great ambassador.

Old 12-21-2020, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think I ever met him and I didn't know him personally, which is why I never posted earlier.
I did attend the Pontiac Nationals in 2009, so maybe I saw him...

My sincere condolences go out to all those who knew him.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 12-21-2020, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Condolences to his family and friends. The part "quality" descriptions in the Ames catalog were so unusually honest it had to say the same for the integrity of the owners.

The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 01:46 PM
Senior Chief

My sincere condolences and prayers go out to Steve’s family and friends. He will be missed!

1971 Grand Prix 462ci SD Performance 6x heads
1962 Catalina 389
1968 Firebird 400-455 I haven't decided

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
Old 12-21-2020, 02:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry to hear this, R.I.P. Steve.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 12-21-2020, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very sad news. Condolences to all his family. Prayers sent. I remember talking to Steve at the 2nd or 3rd Tri Power Nationals on Sunday. Raining steady. He was at the trailers counter. Only couple cars in lot. After that moved event to late July early August. Always a pleasure to talk with him.

Old 12-21-2020, 03:07 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 421mike
Default Steve Ames

Just heard, very sorry to hear this many condolences to the Ames family. I don't know what I would have done with out Steve 's support. RIP Steve. Mike

Old 12-21-2020, 03:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to Hammertime Mike

RIP Steve, our hobby thanks you.

Old 12-21-2020, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

RIP Steve.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 12-21-2020, 03:56 PM
Senior Chief

RIP Steve Ames and family. I was introduced to Steve just two years ago at the Nats. I was very impressed with his passion for the hobby and thought about his impact to my own vehicles. Later on the next day at our hotel parking lot, I noticed that he was getting ready to leave for home. I went over to him and personally thanked him for all his has contributed to the Pontiac hobby and fueling people’s Pontiac memories and passions. He was very humbled and thanked me! I was taken aback that he took the time to talk to me. I will forever remember that brief but meaningful talk.

Old 12-21-2020, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry to hear this. Condolences to the family's.

Old 12-21-2020, 05:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

RIP Steve.

Old 12-21-2020, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On behalf of the international Pontiac community, I would like to say a huge THANK YOU to Steve Ames and indeed to all those persons who have had the foresight to bring to market restoration products for our cars.

Without such people offering assistance via their products, in simple terms it would not make owning our Classic cars viable.

My condolences to all affected.

Ian

Old 12-21-2020, 05:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sad news. RIP Steve.

Old 12-21-2020, 05:39 PM
Senior Chief

I first met Steve many years ago at the West Virginia P.O.C.I meet. I was set up as a used parts vendor a couple of spaces down from him. As I sold my parts, I would run down to his booth and get stuff for the LeMans I was doing at the time. Mostly bigger stuff that would be expensive to ship. After a couple days of this, he started kidding me about having to sell more parts. Treated me real well. He will be missed.

Old 12-21-2020, 05:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So sad he didn't make it. My heart going out to his family and friends.

Old 12-21-2020, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Met him at Atlantic City at an indoor auto auction and swap meet, must have been Feb of 1983 or 84, I distinctly recall buying a July 69 parts manual for $25. Still have it.

Was always a delight to see him at Pontiac gatherings over the years.

A true gentleman.

Old 12-21-2020, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We lost a huge contributor to the Pontiac hobby. Hopefully his funeral procession is loaded with Pontiacs. I'm sure he would appreciate that.

Old 12-21-2020, 06:27 PM

I remember taking the tour at his place during the Sturbridge POCI Convention in 1998. We were taken through the parts business side first and then Steve took us to look at his ultra rare cars. At one point he was standing next to a pair of black Countach's talking about what great driving cars they were and then he pointed towards his Viper and said every time he gets in it the car wants to head straight for the ditch. At the end of the tour he had a big tent set up near his house with free food for everyone. I think people like Steve get the most out of life by helping others. I hope his family gets to read all these pages about the positive impact he made on our lives. Thanks for all the great memories.