THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-25-2021, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question Small town cop, traffic stop, WTF???

Saturday afternoon I was going to the next town east of the village I live in (London Ohio) to do some grocery shopping, and stop at the Walmart, roughly 10 miles away. Anyone that has spent much time in Ohio, or lives here knows the town cops watch where speed is reduced from 55 MPH going into small towns,

As usual there are 2 town cops sitting in the seniors center parking lot looking for people to be more than 5 MPH over the posted speed, which is 35 MPH. I know they sit there and I'm well within the speed limit and as I pass the one cop pulls out behind me. He follows me into town where the street is 4 lane and through the course of 5 traffic lights has chosen to ride in the lane next to me. We probably stopped at 3 of the 5 traffic lights so he has been sitting next to me for at least a minute during these stops.

At the far end of the main drag the road splits into a Y and I'm in the left lane to go north, he moves in behind me from the right lane. I have a pet peeve about people that don't use turn signals, and from driving tractor trailer it's ingrained to use turn signals, and I always do, along with paying close attention to speed limit changes.

The speed limit coming into town drops from 55 to 50 to 35 and then down to 25. He was sitting in the section originally where it goes from 50 to 35, and since I'm familiar with the graduations, I follow the speed limit to the letter, use my turn signals at every lane change and turn as I always do. He's now shadowed me a mile and a half, and just as I'm ready to turn into the Kroger store he lights me up, and blips the siren. I for the life of me can't believe he's pulling me over, so I turn off the main drag into the parking lot, and pull over to the curb.

I know some here know, that I inherited my mothers 99 GP about 3 years ago, when she gave up driving at 96. It's a ex Mary Kay car that is painted a GM color called, yep, you guessed it, Mary Kay Pink. My parents bought it as a returned lease car in Phoenix, at 1 year old in 2000. Salesman told them the color wasn't pink, it was Arizona white, and it was to mimic the pink Arizona sunsets, which is a total used car salesman BS story. My mother told me that crock, until I proved to her that GM has no such color as Arizona white, and the car was an ex Mary Kay car, returned from lease after 1 year. Mary Kay does not buy cars, they only lease them for their top tier salespeople. They pay the lease if you sell enough product month by month, as soon as the salesperson misses their quota the company doesn't pay for that month, the salesperson pays the lease payment.

I roll the window down as he looks into the rear seat area, I guess to see if I had a shot gun lying back there, and asks me if I have the registration card for the car, which I do. He says that according to the info he's pulled up on his computer, that this car is supposed to be pink, and it's not pink. He wants to match the VIN to the plate which he does, then insists the car is white, and not pink.

This particular day the sun is directly overhead, and under real bright sun, the car does look white, if you don't look at it closely, but put it next to a white car and it's evident, it's not white.

I tell him, I cannot believe he's pulling me over because he can't tell the car is pink, and he thinks these plates aren't registered to this car. After matching the VIN to the registration, I'm kind of ticked off, and tell him the car is pink, it's painted a GM color from the factory, and the actual name of the color is Mary Kay Pink. I wish it wasn't pink, but it's my parents car, and they have since passed, so I'm keeping it.

Another irregularity is, he never asks for my driver license, or proof of insurance, that is so weird. They always ask for your drivers license, and proof of insurance every time I've been stopped for anything, they are all about license, and insurance, not argue the color of the damn car.

So now Barney Fife is apologizing to me for pulling me over to look at the pink car, which he insists is white, to check to see if I swapped plates without transferring them. He tells me I'm free to go, so I do.

That has to be the weirdest traffic stop for no real reason, that I've ever encountered, or heard anyone tell me about....................

I'm sure someone here can top that one though.....

"IT'S NOT PINK, IT'S WHITE"!!!!!

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 01-25-2021, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I live in a small town . Small town cops have very little to do so they have to come up with something to justify their job. Years ago my wife was pulled over while driving her 1969 Fbird convertible by one of the local cops as she crossed the town line. She is not a young person (can't call her old). The cop must have thought he had caught himself a young "hot rodder". He walks up to the car, looks in the window, turns around and leaves. Not one word was said. Must have ruined his day.

Old 01-25-2021, 12:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That is the most bizarre traffic stop I have ever heard of. Even in Ohio, I don't think it's illegal to paint your car another color? Not that yours was ever repainted. When you register your car however, they do ask for a color. I never knew why, exactly. Very strange. They were fishing for something else.

Old 01-25-2021, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good thing you didn't have an emergency to attend to.....

Old 01-25-2021, 12:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Had a cop tuck in behind me once, and the moment I turned right he pounced. Many of them view right turns as an avoidance manuever, I've found this to be true several times.

Old 01-25-2021, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One nite about 11 PM, My wife and I were leaving Tucson driving thru Oro Valley heading north driving a rental, after visiting with relatives. I forget the name of the road, (Oro Valley road?) but it's wide, multi lane, but a low speed limit. You know, one of those roads that should be 60 and it's 45?

In any case, I see the lights go on behind me, officer pulls me over. He comes along side my car shines his light on my face and jumps back a bit away from the car. He then says " you are *******! , some celebrity name I'm not familiar with. I say what?????

He proceeds to tell me I look like whoever (I found out later some pro football team coach), told me I was more than 10 MPH above limit, I probably was. looked at my license, rental car paperwork, etc. and asked me if anyone ever told me I resembled that person.

I replied on occasion people say I resemble Sean Connery, once on a plane the stewardess asked my wife if we get asked, another in a grocery store a woman was circling around us looking at me and asked....could be worse, I guess. He told me to slow down and let me go.

Interesting nite.......

George

Old 01-25-2021, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike, as I mentioned, he did look hard through the left rear window as he walked up to the window. But he did spend an inordinate amount of time arguing with me that the car was white, and verifying the VIN to the registration. Of course I know that they ask what color the car is when you register it, and I supplied it correctly as required.

I did have one insurance person put down pearl when I told them what color it was, but that wasn't when I was registering it from out of state, it was another matter entirely.

The weird thing is no drivers license verification, and no insurance information, it was ever mentioned during the whole ordeal.

I know full well how bored small town cops are, the village I live in (1900 population we don't need a full time police force with a chief, and 3-5 officers) cited me for working on my own truck in my own driveway. Truck was fully registered and had insurance on it.

They lost that one in court, cost them plenty to hire an attorney to represent the village, and then they lost anyway. I tried to talk sense to them, and get them to rescind it, but NOOOOO, they weren't having any of that. They've never said boo to me since losing in court.

They also can't see the drug dealers that live next to me, that's been going on for years, with no consequences for selling dope from the house. A blind man could see what's happening, but not our police department.

I'm well aware of the fact that turning as they follow you is sometimes looked at as an avoidance, but I hadn't put the turn signal on yet, he did it just before I was going to hit the turn signal switch, probably 100 feet before the driveway.

Unfortunately, I've had way more than my share of stupid cop stops in 52 years of driving. Some were deserved, but some weren't. The ones that are BS, I go to court over. If I deserve it I usually pay up.

1984 Grand Prix

Last edited by Sirrotica; 01-25-2021 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 12:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The weirdest/stupidest one that ever happened to me was getting pulled over for turning on my headlights.

So I was driving to work ('70 Buick Wildcat) and its light out but early and my street is clear. As I leave my neighborhood and pull onto a more traveled road, which runs by a creek I notice it is a little foggy. I turn left and as soon as I complete the turn I hit the headlight switch (to be safe). The car coming the other way is a cop. Who pulls a U-turn and lights me up.

I ask why I was pulled over. He says: "You saw me and turned on your headlights to avoid being pulled over". It took him over 30 minutes to issue me a warning (verbal) so I was late to work.

Old 01-25-2021, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had a couple of odd stops.

When I bought my 74 SD455 4-spd back in the mid-80s, I purchased a personalized tag that read "MY SD455" for it. I was pulled by a cop in a small town a couple of counties away from where I lived. He was polite and asked for my driver's license and registration, which I gave him. After looking over the registration, he asked me if it had the original motor. It turns out he was a Pontiac guy and had a couple of Pontiacs, including a 69 Judge. He was very polite and owned up to stopping me out of curiosity when he saw the plate.

My next odd stop happenedin Virginia in the later 80s. I had an arrangement with a guy in WV who raced Pontiacs and put Chevy V8s into S-10 trucks and Blazers. I would find him solid Firebird bodies and S10 bodies, and he would find me rusty GTOs and early Firebirds with drivetrains. I had gone up to his house to look at a car one day in winter. I was driving my all original 70 Grand Prix 455 car. I was on my way back and it was cold, dark and pouring rain when I got pulled by a Virginia State Trooper. I rolled down my window and he asks me for my license and registration, which I provided. He then tells me that it is illegal to have a radar detector in Virginia. I told him I didn't have a radar detector, and he says he saw the light from it clipped to my sun visor.

My GP still had the original AM radio, so when I travelled I used a small Sony Walkman radio with ear buds that I clipped to the visor. I had taken the ear buds off when the lights came on. I pulled the Walkman off and handed it to him. He just stood there for a second, started cursing, handed the Walkman back to me and walked back to his car. I waited a couple of seconds, and he left. I expected him to at least tell me I was free to go or something.

Old 01-25-2021, 01:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It's been decades since I've been pulled over, probably because I've only had uninteresting daily drivers during that time and before that deserved to be stopped.

I expect that might change when my GTO is back on the road...

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400

Last edited by vertigto; 01-25-2021 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 01:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Travelling from SC to Pa back in the mid 80's and was travelling north on rt19 in WV. Coming down this grade, I'm doing exactly 55 (posted speed limit) and this state cop was coming down the other side of the grade. I hit the bottom and started up the other side, and he spun around and pulled me over, and commenced to tell me he shot me at 69 in a 55, which was BS as my wife and daughter both happened to be looking at the speedo. He stuck me in his car, and I asked him to show me some proof of what he's charging me for, and he shows me this hieroglyphic crap on his radar unit which told me nothing. He said I was welcome to come to court to fight the ticket, or send in $85 for the fine! My guess is they were simply glancing at out of state plates and making up charges knowing most wouldn't come back to fight an $85 ticket!

68 GTO
Old 01-25-2021, 01:30 PM

Brad that’s crazy! Got pulled over a couple times for having expired inspection stickers on my antique registered cars here in PA. There is no rule on file that you must scrape them off so I left the last one on where it had been inspected. One State cop told me it had to be scraped off right then and there. I told him it’s perfectly legal as even Historical registered cars are allowed to keep there old stickers on the cars. He made me wait 20 minutes, came back to the car and said..... “looks like you are correct and have a safe day”

Then when I got my 2009 Challenger, I was turning into a Target shopping center as the State cop was coming out. He immediately swung around, got behind me, no lights on as I backed into a spot he blocked me in. I got out and said is there something wrong? He says.....” no you did nothing wrong but we know why people get these cars and it never is to follow the rules, so make sure you aren’t one of those people. “ I said I’m 60 years old do I look like I want to break the laws? He said just make sure you don’t! “ WTH was that? I should have taken his badge # and reported him, but I just shook my head and went shopping at Target. Mind you the car was a “Target” being bright red. I only had it 3 days when this happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A7D8C30D-5C4E-41CA-8F21-040070AD80F0.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	559399  

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 01-25-2021, 01:33 PM

I was 2 blocks from my house.
I was stopped at a stop sign as a ST trooper rolled by real slow looking at me.
I had been driving for hours, so I wasn't thinking about the fact that I didn't have my seat belt on! (2011)
So the ST trooper got on his radio and called another St trooper who was 1/4 mile behind him to pull me over.
As I rolled across the road I saw the other car coming with the lights on! So I pulled over and he told me I wasn't wearing a seal belt and asked why.
I said because my clothes are very oily and I didn't want to get that on my seat belt. He said well its the law! I said yes it is, and I can break it if I want so just write me a ticket for something it is impossible for you to seen 1/4 mile down the road. And I will go home.
So he was pissed, I was pissed and we both went on our way. Him on the way to bother someone else and me home with a seat belt ticket, only to be chewed out buy the wife!
I drive a lot and usually get 1 a year for speeding!

Old 01-25-2021, 02:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Road pirates...

If one pulls behind me, I'll usually start snaking around the backroads in the woods. They usually stop abruptly and bang a uey once they realize we're pretty deep into the sticks. lol

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 01-25-2021, 04:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
Brad that’s crazy! Got pulled over a couple times for having expired inspection stickers on my antique registered cars here in PA. There is no rule on file that you must scrape them off so I left the last one on where it had been inspected. One State cop told me it had to be scraped off right then and there. I told him it’s perfectly legal as even Historical registered cars are allowed to keep there old stickers on the cars. He made me wait 20 minutes, came back to the car and said..... “looks like you are correct and have a safe day”

Then when I got my 2009 Challenger, I was turning into a Target shopping center as the State cop was coming out. He immediately swung around, got behind me, no lights on as I backed into a spot he blocked me in. I got out and said is there something wrong? He says.....” no you did nothing wrong but we know why people get these cars and it never is to follow the rules, so make sure you aren’t one of those people. “ I said I’m 60 years old do I look like I want to break the laws? He said just make sure you don’t! “ WTH was that? I should have taken his badge # and reported him, but I just shook my head and went shopping at Target. Mind you the car was a “Target” being bright red. I only had it 3 days when this happened.
MA, having formerly been a state inspection mechanic in PA, the cop is wrong. Only a state inspection mechanic, or a peace officer can remove an inspection sticker legally from a windshield in a registered car. A wrecking yard can remove one from a used windshield also before they sell it to an end user. Installing a used windshield in a car with a current inspection sticker is considered counterfeiting, and if the VIN written on the back of the sticker doesn't match the VIN on the car, you're in for a heap of fines.

The correct thing to do if you have a current sticker and have to replace the windshield is cut the corner out of the windshield with the current sticker, and you can display it for 10 days from the date you had the glass replaced. You better have all your paperwork and receipts with you too.

You have 2 options, get the car inspected again to get the most current sticker (if you're within 90 days of the expiration) or for $2 you can get a new sticker that is solely for windshield replacement purposes, that doesn't constitute a new inspection, it just gets you to the same place as the original sticker would have. The station the issues the replacement sticker has to hang onto the original sticker, and the corner of glass it's attached to until the state police do their annual audit of the garage records.

I don't miss all the rules and regulations attached to the PA inspection garages, and mechanics at all. And as with every rule or regulation, it's up for interpretation by the state cop who presides over the inspections in their area. Too political for me.

My 05 GTO is Yellow Jacket, and especially when the car was brand new I got pulled over for nothing, just so the cop could look at the new car. One cop finally admitted he wanted to see one close up, and being bright yellow, he didn't pass it by without stopping me to look at it. When all was said and done he told me, "nice car", and let me go on my way.

Pictures of 05 GTO when it was less than a year old, it's tough to miss with that color:

1984 Grand Prix

Old 01-25-2021, 04:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In my small town I was stopped behind an officer parked in the middle of road handling a small fender bender. I waited till it was cleared up, the involved autos were gone, the officer still parked in the road sorting the paperwork. I waited patiently for him to vacate the scene ... he sees me, walks back, fingerless black gloves and all, leans in the window and says "What's your problem?". I said ... "Just waiting for you to be done, didn't want to squeeze by your patrol car." He replies, "Why aren't you wearing you seat belt." .... here we go, he was correct, I wasn't wearing it ... So he calls in my plate. Three minutes later a senior cops pulls up, that I've known for 20+ years (he heard my name on the radio), calls the young officer back and has a talk with him, comes back and tells me to meet him at the station in five minutes. I show up, walk up to the station with my friend, he grabs some paper work, walks out to my truck ... says "Looks like you got the tail light fixed, good" and tears up the seat belt ticket. Not sure what that was all about, but as we are there the young cop pulls in the lot and yet another officer I've known for decades says to him. "I hear you are harassing citizens" and laughs. Young officer is hanging his head .... small towns, you gotta love them sometimes.

I knew these officers their entire careers, and their fathers, they had been drinking in our bar for decades along with half the police force and the captain ... "back in the day".

Unfortunately things have dramatically changed since. Town has grown, we have cops that didn't grow up here, and aren't related to anyone (maybe a good thing?), and don't know which citizens are a problem in the community and which are not. Tough issue, I'm a big fan of local cops being local people as they usually know how to react to situations based on local knowledge of the parties involved. But ... downside it can lead to nepotism, corruption and often children of officers getting WAY more leeway than the average Joe.

Last edited by dataway; 01-25-2021 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My weirdest happened about 30 years ago.
My 1st wife and I were driving down a semi busy road at night, about 10 miles from home. A cop pulls me over and I had no idea why. I wasn’t speeding and I was legal.
After I gave him my license I asked him what I did wrong. He said “Well we had a report of somebody trying to pick up girls from his car, and yours fits the description.” I looked over at my wife and we both busted out laughing. I asked him if he thought I would do that with my wife in the car. He chuckled and said “Probably not”. Then said I was free to go.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If the wife WAS in the car while you were picking up girls then she's a keeper

Old 01-25-2021, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In an old work truck years ago and it started shaking really bad. Slowed to walking speed and started looking for the first wide spot to get off the road. It was a narrow two lane and cars were passing me at every chance they had. First wide spot was in front of a school that just happened to have a patrol car there for traffic duty.. Got stopped and got out of the truck to see what was wrong. Police car pulled in behind the truck while I was under it checking the two piece drive shaft. Officer walks up and asks for drivers license. Told him the truck was broke down and he said "fine, give me the license". Goes to his car and comes back with a ticket for running 88 mph in a 15 mph school zone.

Said he saw everything but the radar gun said 88. "Go argue with the judge, not the radar gun".

That's the ticket story so stopping there
Clay

Old 01-25-2021, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got pulled over for speeding in my 63 GP playing with a Buick electra on 80 near North Jackson, Ohio. I had to sign off on ticket. Then the court wanted cash no checks! College student on my way home.I didnt complain just paid the ticket. Another time in downtown Kent I was playing around speeding with guy in other lane. I was going somewhere,. on the way back I was stopped checked paperwork.Cop asked if I was street racing as he saw me but couldnt get me. I didnt say a word, better off,he let me go.