Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 01-08-2009, 10:56 PM

the 3 litre Jeep diesel puts out good power fro the displacement, possible best, the new twin turbo toyota 4.5 litre diesel in the new landcruiser also a good motor, might be the lexus motor in the US.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The conservative enclave in a land of liberals; South Orange County, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Indian View Post
I have given some thought to this idea, and I know many will say are you hitting the crack pipe!! my plans are to take a VW TDI and installing it into a 70-73 TA clone. the way I have it figured it will be one of the most fuel efficient TA's on the road. no it will not be a power house but it would make a great daily driver. most will say the weight is going to kill the fuel mileage, well a jetta weighs in @ 3300#'s, and a Pontiac with that little 4 cyl I figure will weigh in about 3700#'s tops. besides with the diesel technology out there you would be surprised how much power you are able to make with that little diesel. OK lets hear all of the
I'm going to agree with that statement.
I owned a Jetta TDi for a few years, great car, awesome gas mileage, 45mpg. All I can say is good luck on the conversion...

Old 01-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
Brad,
Just don't forget to put Standadyne Fuel Additive in the tank or you'll be buying new
HEUI injectors at $2800 a set.
Before I threw in the new crate engine I took the old 7.3s injectors and pump to have them checked. Ive been using Howes for years, they said that would work fine. I mainly use them because its more widely avabile where Im at.
Unless youve heard anything different ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash View Post
the 3 litre Jeep diesel puts out good power fro the displacement, possible best, the new twin turbo toyota 4.5 litre diesel in the new landcruiser also a good motor, might be the lexus motor in the US.
Mash, unfortunately here in the US we dont have nearly all the automotive/light truck choices that you guys do.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.

Last edited by 455Grandville; 01-10-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67blackcherry View Post
I'm going to agree with that statement.
I owned a Jetta TDi for a few years, great car, awesome gas mileage, 45mpg. All I can say is good luck on the conversion...
I read Sarah Palin owns one of those.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
Old 01-11-2009, 12:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Brad,
The problem is most diesel shop don't have the equipment to tear-down the HEUIs
for inspection. The shops with an HI2000 or equivilent are fairly hard to find. There
are only 5 in the Indiana-Kentucky area. You should have 7 AD injectors and 1 AE
or Cackle injector. The biggest problem with all HEUIs is nozzle spring breakage. The
higher power PowerStroke injectors are also hard on the intensifier pistons and injector
tips. They erode both badly. The fuel pump is the tried and true DB4.Keep clean fuel
in it (and fuel additive) these things will last forever. Keep a close eye on the Rexroth
high-pressure oil pump. Without that, the engine WILL NOT FIRE!!

Old 01-12-2009, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
Brad,
The problem is most diesel shop don't have the equipment to tear-down the HEUIs
for inspection. The shops with an HI2000 or equivilent are fairly hard to find. There
are only 5 in the Indiana-Kentucky area. You should have 7 AD injectors and 1 AE
or Cackle injector. The biggest problem with all HEUIs is nozzle spring breakage. The
higher power PowerStroke injectors are also hard on the intensifier pistons and injector
tips. They erode both badly. The fuel pump is the tried and true DB4.Keep clean fuel
in it (and fuel additive) these things will last forever. Keep a close eye on the Rexroth
high-pressure oil pump. Without that, the engine WILL NOT FIRE!!
You have a listings for any of these shops ? I do make it down to Louisville & Paducah every so often.

That's the problem with these newer diesels: all the pollution equipment and the engine management is really expensive to repair if it acts up.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
Old 01-13-2009, 08:18 AM
Suspended

Wait until next year when the new 1/2 ton pickup diesels come out. 300 hp and 400+ lbs of torque. At least it will be all GM. the vw engine isn't a bad one, but it isn't near as good as say a Duramax or the Benz diesel. Don't forget the 4 cyl. version of the Cummins in Dodge pickups either. With the turbo and updated injection off the Cummins 6 cyl., They will make around 350 hp and get mid 20's in a truck, so in a car, that would be even better than the VW eng. Now if you want a 10 second diesel powered car, gets mid 20's mpg, no problem, I know what it takes.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:26 AM
Suspended

This truck got 21 mpg and is a 9 second truck;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Orange Crush.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	154240   Click image for larger version

Name:	DRSide Orange Crush eng..jpg
Views:	31
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	154241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Orange Crush engine.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	154242  

Old 02-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goquick View Post
This truck got 21 mpg and is a 9 second truck;
Byron, I think I saw that in a magazine a while back, I have a buddy with a rust free 67 small back window, maybe when used Duramaxxes start getting more common in wrecking yards -

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
Old 02-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Suspended

455Grandville, yes you have seen it in serveral magazines. SEptember 2007 issue's of Diesel World and Diesel Power magazines, (Cover of Diesel Power), then I know this past summer an issue of Street Truck. I know Chris told me there is more the Truck has been in, but I have those issues of those 3. All three took thier pictures at the May 2007 Las Vegas race. That was the weekend we broke the trans on saturday afternoon, took it out, drove to Steve Cole's shop, TTS (Also known as The Turbo Shop) Steve rebuilt it, and we drove (flew low!) back to Vegas (got back about 7:30am Sunday) and put it in. Chris went out and then won the class later Sunday. That was a long Saturday! It's a great piece of work and craftsmanship.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
455Grandville, yes you have seen it in serveral magazines. SEptember 2007 issue's of Diesel World and Diesel Power magazines, (Cover of Diesel Power), then I know this past summer an issue of Street Truck. I know Chris told me there is more the Truck has been in, but I have those issues of those 3. All three took thier pictures at the May 2007 Las Vegas race. That was the weekend we broke the trans on saturday afternoon, took it out, drove to Steve Cole's shop, TTS (Also known as The Turbo Shop) Steve rebuilt it, and we drove (flew low!) back to Vegas (got back about 7:30am Sunday) and put it in. Chris went out and then won the class later Sunday. That was a long Saturday! It's a great piece of work and craftsmanship.
I'd like to tear into a Duramaxx, see the internals. I wasn't crazy about the aluminum heads when they came out, but after driving a new one I was impressed.
I'd like to build a 7.3, they are very rugged engines, but they don't seem to have the aftermarket support that the Duramaxx & Cummins do.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
Old 02-06-2009, 12:18 AM
Suspended

Brad, You are right, the 7.3 Ford/International doesn't have the aftermarket support the others do. This is mostly because just as the Diesel thing was really starting to grow, Ford went to the 6. oh no and the aftermarket thought, why spend the money tooling up for the by gone engine when the 6. oh no will be the new one of choice. Of course no one knew how big of a disaster the 6 oh no would be! I know one company just came out with some parts they was working on and quit when Ford made the announcement the 6 oh no was coming. Am I too hardcore on the shoeleather express 6 oh no? (I'll just use the 2003 F350 6 oh no I had as my point of reference!)

Earlier and back to topic, the VW diesel is a dependible little diesel, but I wouldn't put it in a T/A clone or waste a Firebird on one! A nice diesel coming out if it's reliable might be the 2010 1/2 ton pickup diesel. It wouldn't weight more than a Pontiac V8 and still give great mpg with over 300 hp.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Brad, You are right, the 7.3 Ford/International doesn't have the aftermarket support the others do. This is mostly because just as the Diesel thing was really starting to grow, Ford went to the 6. oh no and the aftermarket thought, why spend the money tooling up for the by gone engine when the 6. oh no will be the new one of choice. Of course no one knew how big of a disaster the 6 oh no would be! I know one company just came out with some parts they was working on and quit when Ford made the announcement the 6 oh no was coming. Am I too hardcore on the shoeleather express 6 oh no? (I'll just use the 2003 F350 6 oh no I had as my point of reference!)
From what I understand most of the 6.0 issues were the engines monitoring system and as you mentioned the proper training repairing them, as you mentioned about the injector issues you had ? I think they also turned the engine up a little high when it was installed in pickups. I woldn't want to buy a 6.4, it's been out one year and already being chopped next year.

Quote:
Earlier and back to topic, the VW diesel is a dependible little diesel, but I wouldn't put it in a T/A clone or waste a Firebird on one! A nice diesel coming out if it's reliable might be the 2010 1/2 ton pickup diesel. It wouldn't weight more than a Pontiac V8 and still give great mpg with over 300 hp.
I know a guy in St Louis that installing a newer TDI VW in a older 80s VW Caddy (Rabbit pickup)
He said its bolt in deal, and you use the old injection pump to avoid all the electronics.
Good engine for a swap in something smaller, but not somthing for a T/A.
The new Duramaxx V6 should be interesting; having the exhaust exit on the intake side makes sense for packaging a turbo.
Biggest problem with all these new diesels is the emissions they have to meet, they are getting too complex and seem to act up alot more.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
Old 02-07-2009, 08:41 PM

The 6.0 Ford's have turbo issues among other things.

If you're after economy shove a 6.2 in it with 700r4 and a 2 series gearset and pull 30 mpg all day long. The one in my 78 k20 4x4 with 4:10's is pulling 22+ with a straight 4spd and a 6200# curb weight. It's been dependable as hell. I'm thinking of throwing an OD trans behind it.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 02-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike nixon View Post
The 6.0 Ford's have turbo issues among other things.

If you're after economy shove a 6.2 in it with 700r4 and a 2 series gearset and pull 30 mpg all day long. The one in my 78 k20 4x4 with 4:10's is pulling 22+ with a straight 4spd and a 6200# curb weight. It's been dependable as hell. I'm thinking of throwing an OD trans behind it.

Mike
Mike, did any 6.2 or 6.5s have a steel crank ?

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
Old 02-09-2009, 12:51 PM

save the bird for a weekend toy where mpg doesn't matter.
I volunteer as a member for the firing squad

Old 02-10-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455Grandville View Post
Mike, did any 6.2 or 6.5s have a steel crank ?
I'm thinking the later Turbo'd ones may have. The early one's like mine didn't which is why I don't have a banks kit on mine.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill