Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 11-21-2008, 03:15 PM

Default 350 chevy crate motor installed in 64 lemans

Is it a big deal to install a new 350 chevy crate motor in a 1964 Lemans. Car has the orifginal 326 still installed, but needs to be overhauled or replaced.

Will

Old 11-21-2008, 04:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm

since its not already been done....why not leave it pontiac. to answer your question though it shouldnt be to big a deal to bastardize the pontiac you will just have to address the fuel lines routing down the drivers side of frame where chevy is on the right and same goes with starter and battery cables/wires

Old 11-21-2008, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi Will, yes this is the non Pontiac motor in a Pontiac Thread. LOL. I have done this swap in my 64 with no real issues. Bracket are available from jegs or others, I used bolt on frame mount brackets from a 65 beaumont / Chevelle and matching engine mounts. used the exsisting fuel lines and ran a braided line under the pan with pan bolts to secure it. Exhaust will not match, so headers would be required, with a dual system. Fan shroud won't work as sbc water pump sits lower than Pontiac. Also u may have to change rad outlet on rad to the other side or find a thermostat outlet that points to the passengers side. I used a stock GM HEI dist and removed the resistor wire in the dash wiring harness. U need a flex plate or flywheel. I left battery in same location and ran batt cable across bottom of rad support. No slow crank issue at all.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0983.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	149219  

Last edited by Lemans64; 11-21-2008 at 09:22 PM.