Old 03-30-2020, 05:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 'nother 59 question...

Can anyone provide me with locations of factory installed ground straps?

I've noticed that a lot of "mechanics"...tended to disconnect them....and or throw them away...

So far...under the hood...I've found one on the back of pass side head...broken.......Battery ground cable to left ex. manifold bracket.........and one from front right floor pan that looks like it should go to frame body mount tab...behind front wheel....that doesn't ever appear to have been connected...

Old 03-31-2020, 12:29 AM

Green Hornet.....what you see, is what you got back in 1959. Broken one on head goes to the firewall. Floor pan one should go to frame, but I've seen it attached to an exhaust clamp bolt. If you can, add another to the drivers side head and one from engine to frame. Can't have too many grounds. Several accessories are wired hot, with the switch providing the path to ground (wipers, courtesy lamps, etc.).....John

Old 03-31-2020, 01:46 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Good to know...thanks.

I have several 61's...and it appears they have more........One on each upper control arm mount to ex. manifold...I think...

Old 03-31-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
I have several 61's...and it appears they have more........One on each upper control arm mount to ex. manifold...I think...
My '61 has four straps connected to the engine: one to each upper control arm mount, and one each on the back side of the engine from the cylinder heads connected to the firewall. I'd have to go look but I think there are additional straps that go from the radiator support to the frame. As mentioned, you can't have too many of them.

Old 04-04-2020, 12:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here is the one in the right wheel house......

I'm guessing it should get screwed...to the nearest of three holes..in frame extension
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG6861.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	536340