Old 04-29-2020, 07:37 PM
Senior Chief

Default Water pump leaking or timing cover?

Hey guys, my 69 GTO 400 , 11 bolt water pump is beginning to make noise so I think I'm needing a new water pump. Also, I noticed coolant at the valley pan where it meets the timing chain cover. Appears that I might need to replace gaskets all around and a new water pump. My question is do I need any special tools for removing/installing the timing chain cover. I've done water pumps but never the timing cover. Thanks a bunch all and stay safe! - Will

Old 04-29-2020, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It is fairly likely that coolant bypass is what's leaking. However, if your water crossover isn't separated from the intake, you'll need to pull either the intake or the timing cover to replace the rubber o ring that seals that passage.

Old 04-30-2020, 12:42 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott65 View Post
It is fairly likely that coolant bypass is what's leaking. However, if your water crossover isn't separated from the intake, you'll need to pull either the intake or the timing cover to replace the rubber o ring that seals that passage.
right, I'm thinking it's the timing cover. Any specials tools needed to do this.

Old 04-30-2020, 06:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Getting the harmonic balancer off is potentially the only serious challenge.

Old 04-30-2020, 07:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 1967Tempest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott65 View Post
Getting the harmonic balancer off is potentially the only serious challenge.
Agreed. If I had to choose, I would take the intake off. Just dont find your self in a "Might as well" scenario.

A few things I would do if you have not done it is;
Make sure you have a cast impeller
Clearance the impeller.

The Burb Files
Old 04-30-2020, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

if the leak is at the timing cover to intake, you dont need to remove the timing cover, taking off the intake will let you replace the rubber O-ring that seals to the timing cover. a leak at that spot is common, might just need to tighten up the bolt.

but if the WP is making noise & you are replacing it anyways, then just pull the intake when you do the pump. research how to clearance the impeller to the plate, use some good ultra black or grey permatex gasket sealer on both gaskets for the WP, just a thin layer spread out with your finger, & i use a thin coat on the O-ring too just to seal any pitting that may be there. also a big thing is to just start the intake bolts & tighten the timing cover to intake bolt to pull the intake forward to seal the O-ring, then tighten the intake bolts. retorque the WP & timing cover bolts after a few heat cycles & it should be leak free.

& there are no special tool to pull the timing cover... the balancer is slip fit so should come off & reinstall pretty easy.

Last edited by 78w72; 04-30-2020 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:39 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillV View Post
right, I'm thinking it's the timing cover. Any specials tools needed to do this.
Just curious has the timing chain ever been replaced....how many miles on it?

Old 04-30-2020, 11:41 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969GiPper View Post
Just curious has the timing chain ever been replaced....how many miles on it?
as long as I have owned this car - 1996 - I have not replace the timing chain and I believe it has 150K original miles

Old 04-30-2020, 11:42 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
if the leak is at the timing cover to intake, you dont need to remove the timing cover, taking off the intake will let you replace the rubber O-ring that seals to the timing cover. a leak at that spot is common, might just need to tighten up the bolt.

but if the WP is making noise & you are replacing it anyways, then just pull the intake when you do the pump. research how to clearance the impeller to the plate, use some good ultra black or grey permatex gasket sealer on both gaskets for the WP, just a thin layer spread out with your finger, & i use a thin coat on the O-ring too just to seal any pitting that may be there. also a big thing is to just start the intake bolts & tighten the timing cover to intake bolt to pull the intake forward to seal the O-ring, then tighten the intake bolts. retorque the WP & timing cover bolts after a few heat cycles & it should be leak free.

& there are no special tool to pull the timing cover... the balancer is slip fit so should come off & reinstall pretty easy.
Thank you .. I think I will try this first

Old 04-30-2020, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you do try tightening the long bolt, be CAREFUL. With the intake torqued down, nothing wants to readily move and the bolt is the weakest link!!! just saying