Old 04-20-2020, 09:56 AM

Default Rear Shock replacement

Just making sure i'm not missing something... rear shock swap on my 69 Firebird should be simple deal. Supports in trunk look solid enough. Everything looks good at the springs, other than the tired springs of course. But that is another story! I figure I'll put on the KYB shocks, they aren't that much more money. Then I will have "high performance". Not much to a rear shock but am I missing something?

Old 04-20-2020, 01:42 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgiv View Post
Not much to a rear shock but am I missing something?
It's been 20+ years since I've replaced mine, but I think it took 30 minutes to replace them.

'69 Firebird 400 - Goldenrod Yellow, 455 +.060, '6s-7' heads, Comp Cam 276AH-10 (51-309-4), TH400, Ford 9-inch w/3.08, 800cfm Q-jet, Stock Intake, Hooker Headers, Flowmasters
'68 Coronet 500 Convertible - Medium Gold Metallic, stock 318 +100,000 miles
Old 04-20-2020, 05:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sounds about right.

Old 04-20-2020, 11:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had KYBs on my 67 and found them to be pretty stiff on rough roads. A few years ago I changed them out for QA1 adjustable and I'm really happy with those. These are the ones I bought,
https://www.firebirdcentral.com/Prod...Code=SUS-1113B

Old 04-21-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcfbd View Post
I had KYBs on my 67 and found them to be pretty stiff on rough roads. A few years ago I changed them out for QA1 adjustable and I'm really happy with those. These are the ones I bought,
https://www.firebirdcentral.com/Prod...Code=SUS-1113B
Those are a bit pricey! But the adjustable would be nice. I was actually thinking of just getting some NAPA/Monroe jobs but figured for a couple bucks more i'd splurge for the KYBs. . The NAPAs will be a bit softer and I don't want to shake the old girl up too bad. God knows what might come loose. Uh rust lol. My guess is the current shocks have been on since the early 90s. Probably not a ton of miles but they are shot.