73-77 A-body TECH Includes 73GTO, LeMans, Grand Am, Can Am

Old 02-10-2003, 08:10 AM

I found a place that sells fiberglass bumpers for 73 LeManses. My question is, would it be possible to get the bumper to sit closer to the car, and eliminate that 5 MPH stuff? Has anyone here done anything like this?

Old 02-10-2003, 08:10 AM

I found a place that sells fiberglass bumpers for 73 LeManses. My question is, would it be possible to get the bumper to sit closer to the car, and eliminate that 5 MPH stuff? Has anyone here done anything like this?

Old 02-10-2003, 10:48 AM

you'll have to fabricate some brackets up, but yes it can be done.

just remember not to hit anything with the glass unit!
mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 02-11-2003, 02:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can't make it sit closer without butchering the lines of the car, as there is a plastic filler piece between the nose/fenders and the bumper. Some plate steel or aluminum brackets will need to be fabricated to eliminate the 5-mph crap.

Care to share with us the company name making these bumpers? Do they have a website? I wouldn't mind having a 'glass bumper for the front of my '73 LeMans.

Old 02-12-2003, 09:22 AM
Senior Chief

Putting the front bumper close to the body on the '73's looks like *****. The chrome steel facebar weighs under 20 lbs, but the re-inforcements weigh a lot. Modify the re-inforcements and remove the bumper shocks and replace with pipe. I also hate the monochromatic look on the '73's.

Old 02-12-2003, 11:49 AM

The August 1994 issue of High Perforformance Pontiac featured a 1973 LeMans in GTO trim that had the front bumper moved back four inches. It took off a bunch of weight and looked nice, although it was painted to match the body. I 'm not a fan of that approach either. The bumper and hood were fiberglass, custom-made. It was a very nice, very quick car.

Old 02-13-2003, 08:56 AM

Allow me to clarify. I like the look of the bumper being pulled four-inches closer to the body, I do not like the mono-chromatic look.

Old 02-13-2003, 09:24 AM

I found a website that sells the bumpers for $120, and a hood for $140. Let me dig up the link.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:08 PM

I have 2 NOS Absorber Units still in their AC Delco Boxes. I know the fit a 73 and 74 Grand Am. The Factory Part Number is 4975705. You can make me an offer. I also have other NOS bumper parts for a Grand Am as well. Let me know.

Dean Talbott

309-824-1297

Old 04-21-2011, 02:33 PM
Suspended

Default sitting closer

All you have to do is drill out the bumper shocks and be careful as they are under pressure and will spray you when you get to the fluid and the the gas pressure champers. But then you can push the bumper back to the place you want it to be and weld the shocks in place where you want it to be. Also you can modifie the filler to sit where it fills the space as you like or where it looks best. Also remember you'll have to trim the side fillers to fit the side of the bumper too. Thanks Rex Lee.