Old 09-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Driveshaft 1959 / 1960 center bearing

Is the driveshaft center bearing and support hardware the same for these years. I ass u me that it is----anyone know for sure? Thx for any feedback.

Randy

Old 09-07-2006, 01:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They are the same. Do you need a bearing ? I can give you NAPA part number...PM me for it if needed. Steele Rubber Products will re-vulcanize the rubber mount for you....about $100.00 + S&H. Saw a NOS support on Erape go for $225.00.......!!

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 09-13-2006, 08:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I looked at my service manual for 1960 and it shows how to remove and disassemble (sort of) the driveshaft and hanger bearing/support. Question tho----doesn't the rear section slide inside the spline of the front section? I assume that when the rear end moves up and down its front spline slides in and out of the rear spline of the front section. If that's the case, can't you just pull out the rear section without disassembling the hanger bearing/support? The reason I ask is that I bought a used driveshaft assy just to get the hanger bearing parts, and the seller would like to disassemble it for shipping. I originally asked to just send me the hanger bearing / support and to "can" the rest, but after looking at the shop manual thought I might learn something if I had the whole thing assembled---or at least partially assembled. Thx for any feedback.

Poncho60

Old 09-14-2006, 02:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho60
I looked at my service manual for 1960 and it shows how to remove and disassemble (sort of) the driveshaft and hanger bearing/support. Question tho----doesn't the rear section slide inside the spline of the front section? I assume that when the rear end moves up and down its front spline slides in and out of the rear spline of the front section. If that's the case, can't you just pull out the rear section without disassembling the hanger bearing/support? The reason I ask is that I bought a used driveshaft assy just to get the hanger bearing parts, and the seller would like to disassemble it for shipping. I originally asked to just send me the hanger bearing / support and to "can" the rest, but after looking at the shop manual thought I might learn something if I had the whole thing assembled---or at least partially assembled. Thx for any feedback.

Poncho60
Removing the bearing from the support is not necessary to slide the rear shaft out of the front section. Just loosen the BIG gland nut and back it off,them you can seperate the shafts. Usually you have to tap the hanger assembly off the front shaft without removing the bearing... Might note it can only be assembled ONE way. There is a "weld" in between some splines so it has to go just one way.
Hope this helps some.
You will wind up with this in your hand..LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0972 (Small).JPG
Views:	86
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	65155  

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 09-12-2023, 09:10 PM

Does anyone know where I can find a new bearing AND support? Napa only sells the bearing w/o support