Old 02-27-2013, 10:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Selling my 74 G/A 4dr 4spd

Many of you know of me and have followed my posts here on the PY forums, including my 74 Grand Am 4dr 4spd. I am offering it here and the A-body site first, here is some information about the car:

1974 Pontiac Grand Am 4dr 4spd

On November 5th, 1973, Lt Colonel William B. Daum went into Culliver Motors, a Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac and GMC dealer in Sierra Vista, AZ and ordered a brand new 1974 Grand Am 4 door Colonnade hardtop. He ordered it with some very unusual and very specific options as follows:
400 4bbl (the standard engine was a 400 2bbl, the upgrade was a $46.00 option)
4 speed transmission (a $46.00 credit and only available with the 400 4bbl, so it was more or less a free upgrade)
Honeycomb wheels
Tilt wheel
AM radio
Cornering lamps
Dual exhaust
Unitized ignition
Sport mirrors, LH remote
Lamp group
Tachometer
H/D cooling
H/D air cleaner
Space-saver spare
Undercoat
No A/C, non-tinted windows (not even the windshield) on a car in Arizona!
The color he chose was Limefire Green with a green interior (career Army), so it is possibly a one-of-one Grand Am with these particular options and colors. Rare doesn’t necessarily make valuable, but it does make unique. The car was delivered without the HEI (unitized) ignition and the space-saver spare, but with all other specified options. It spent it’s whole life in AZ/NM until I bought it in August, 2012 and had it shipped to Shelbyville, IN. The G/A is complete and running, the only non-original parts on the car are the non-original carburetor, non-original distributor (now an HEI), and the AM radio (and the dash panel was cut for an AM/FM CD radio). It has been repainted once and the right rear quarter panel and door have been painted again due to a minor accident, and the original urethane nose is there but is missing a few pieces and has been repaired with bondo in others (Note: I have found no evidence of bondo anywhere else on the car, just the nose). The seats, dash, and headliner have been reupholstered in a different shade of green from original. Even all the trim rings and caps are on the Honeycombs.
There were only 3122 Grand Am 4dr sedans built in 1974, and only 833 A-bodies (LeMans, Luxury LeMans and Grand Ams) were built with manual transmissions (which, by the way, was the last year you could order a 400 4spd in a Pontiac A-body), so there can’t be many 4dr 4spds.. Probably less than 50, maybe less than 25, so how many could have survived? I have seen 2 other 1974 4 door 4 speeds, both were Ascot Silver. One was very rusty, and it’s manual transmission parts (pedals, trans., console, shifter) were used on Imran Chaudary’s beautiful 1973 GTO SD-455 “if only” car. Pontiac did offer a 5spd in 1976 in the LeMans Sport Coupe, available only with the Olds 260 V-8 (I used to own one), and the 4spd was again available in1979 on LeMans and Grand Am, but that was the downsized body and was only available with the 301. Being an early production car, it has the Muncie M20 4spd and correct Inland shifter and knob.
This car is an easy restore since it has no rust and is so complete and you definitely would have the only one in most car shows. I planned on restoring the car and driving it. Unfortunately, after I bought it, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer and was off work from Oct 16th to Dec 15th without short-term disability. Also, I had hoped the clutch wouldn't aggravate my lower back and left leg, but I am in so much pain daily from the deterioration of the 5 lowermost discs, that I really have no choice. I won't consider changing it to an AT or altering it by figuring out how I could make it hydraulic because the car is too original to do something like that. That said, I am currently in the beginning stages of applying for permanent disability.
Adding to this is the realization that due to other circumstances in my life, I don't have a garage to store the G/A, and because of the back and neck issues I have, I can hardly do even routine maintenance. Anyway, enough about me, but I just felt it would answer the oft-asked question of why I am selling so soon after buying. This car deserves to be restored!
The original owner, who passed away in 2011 at the age of 91, kept the car for most of it’s life before giving it to his long-time mechanic. Yes, he gave it to him. A coworker bought the car from him, and that is the name on the title. Technically, I am the 4th owner. I purchased the car from a frequent seller of vehicles on eBay with an open and signed title. I have spoken to the 3rd owner (who had it repainted and the interior work done) and he assured me that it is free and clear. I am hoping to get in touch with the 2nd owner to learn more about the G/A’s history. Perhaps it was used at Fort Huachuca, where the original owner was based?
I have replaced the water pump, P/S pressure hose, repaired the radiator (all were leaking, not disclosed to me when I bought it, added the correct power leads for the HEI and tachometer (tach is not currently working), resealed both the windshield and rear window, put on a usable set of 225/70 tires (again, not disclosed, the tires on it were so bad, the transport company had to keep adding air while in transit), replaced the leaky Holley 650 spreadbore with a rebuilt 78 Quadrajet with electric choke, gave the car a thorough cleaning and put a later, but nicer, dash faceplate on it (original included), replaced the headlight switch and it comes with a nice set of black seatbelts too (the originals were so fried from the AZ sun. they were in tatters and most of the buckles were broken too. The black seatbelts are correct even though the interior is green, color keyed belts were an extra cost option. Included with the car is the written order sheet from Culliver Motors, the window sticker, owners manuals and warranty folders. The numbers match, and aside from the original carb, distributor, and radio, which are no longer with the car, is complete. Finding a good, original, unrestored 1974 Grand Am is difficult enough, but a 4 speed 4 door with documentation and original paperwork would be something like finding a needle in a haystack. I hate to sell this car, it is just the perfect ‘unique’ Pontiac I was looking for. I am offering it at a reasonable, realistic price, I just want to get out of it what I have in it (purchase price, shipping, parts and repairs to date). The car is now located more centrally, so getting the car will be easier and less costly for most people. I am asking $5400 for the car, but will consider all reasonable offers. This is close to what I have in the car. Sorry, but I can’t consider any trades, I need to pay off some medical bills.
Note: I have been driving the car to and from work (about 3 miles each way), it drives fairly well. It also confirmed (again) that my lower back and left leg no longer enjoy driving a mechanical linkage manual transmission (even though my mind still does).
And here is a photobucket album on the car, the current tires are not shown: http://s1098.beta.photobucket.com/us...%204dr%204spd/

I will be happy to answer any questions, and/or add any photos. I wnat to car to go to someone who will restore the car the way it should be.

Thanks for looking, Dave

----------------------------------------------------------

2004 Grand Prix GT daily driver
1974 LeMans GT 455

Last edited by Pontiacdaver; 02-27-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dave,

Great car and not a bad asking price, I just wish I had the Time and Space for it. A non-A/C GA is just so odd, not to mention the 4-speed 4-door combo, that and clear glass, what a factory odd ball.

I just wish it wasn't green with a green interior, being a military brat I had my fill of green by the time I was 10 yeas old!!!!!!

I hope it finds a good home.

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)
Old 03-02-2013, 12:17 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerjeff View Post
Dave,

Great car and not a bad asking price, I just wish I had the Time and Space for it. A non-A/C GA is just so odd, not to mention the 4-speed 4-door combo, that and clear glass, what a factory odd ball.

I just wish it wasn't green with a green interior, being a military brat I had my fill of green by the time I was 10 yeas old!!!!!!

I hope it finds a good home.
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the kind words. I hate to sell it, the oddity is what attracted me to the car in the first place (well, that and I love the 73-75 G/As) but I just can't comfortably drive it. I am, as a consolation prize, getting my Fire Coral Bronze 74 coupe back.

I also like what I have learned of the history of the car, and my wife is an Army brat too (who also grew up in El Paso, TX, where I got the car from).

Thanks again, Dave

1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 03-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiacdaver View Post
I am, as a consolation prize, getting my Fire Coral Bronze 74 coupe back.
What happened to that '73 we discussed? If I recall, that bronze '74 had a lot of rot in it. I saw it in person at Carlisle just before you bought it.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 03-06-2013, 12:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman View Post
What happened to that '73 we discussed? If I recall, that bronze '74 had a lot of rot in it. I saw it in person at Carlisle just before you bought it.
Rick,

You are correct. Since I don't currently have access to a garage, I just can't see buying the 73 only to watch it deteriorate. I had more fun with that 74, mechanically, everything is new or rebuilt, and structurally,the car is very solid needing only a repair on the driver's floorpan. I am going to keep tabs on the 73 so that when my current living situation changes (I live with, and take care of, my Dad and his car gets the garage), I may be able to get ahold of it. If you are interested in the 73, I'd be happy to put you in contact with the owner.

Dave

P.S. I have the 74 4spd running and driving very well now, looks like it will be going on eBay as soon as I can get some pics of the underside of it.

1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 03-06-2013, 01:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiacdaver View Post
Rick,

If you are interested in the 73, I'd be happy to put you in contact with the owner.

Dave
Thanks, but I am ass deep in the restoration of my 4 speed '73 GA.

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 03-10-2013, 11:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just added 86 new pictures to the photobucket album, check it out. Also added this to the text in the first post:

"Update, 3/9/13, just got a set of NOS green GM floor mats for it. Took many more pics of the car, including the underside (it was undercoated when new, and that is visible in the pics), added them to the photobucket album. The underside pics have a greenish cast to them, but it must have been the lighting. I did find a small (about 1”x2”) rust spot on the driver’s floor, probably from the fried windshield seal. There is NO rust in either the front or rear window channels. The only other rust I have found on the car is some scale at the windshield/dash area and it doesn’t look significant to me. I tried to get all of this in the new pics, as well as pics of the engine block code and VIN stampings.
The Grand Am runs and drives well, is 99% complete, the only panel that will need replaced is the urethane nose (no sheetmetal is needed), and is a great restoration candidate. It is rare and very unique, and has all the documentation you could ask for. It is now in much better condition that it was when I got it and my asking price, considering what you are getting, is a much better buy."

1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 03-18-2013, 09:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Now on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Facto...item3ccffdd580

1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 03-23-2013, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sold for $4950. Hopefully, the high bidder will complete the transaction!

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 03-23-2013, 09:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If not, the 2nd highest bidder is going to take it, I spoke with him earlier while he was the high bidder. He is in Chicago, the winning bidder is in Evansville, IN, so both are near by. We'll see what happens.

1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 03-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looks like my winning bidder is legit and we are bringing another former G/A owner back into the fold. He has owned 6 73-75, but none in the last 10 years.

1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 03-25-2013, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smart guy. Once you have owned one, owning several is very easy to do!

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 04-06-2013, 09:55 PM

I am happy that I bought this thing and looking forward to driving it home to Chicago.

What a strange and wonderful beast!

Old 04-06-2013, 10:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have not done so, check out the A bodysite:

http://users.boardnation.com/~abodysite/

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 04-13-2013, 12:06 AM

Thanks. Had trouble regsitering tho