THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:31 PM

Default Connecticut guys- any way of performing a VIN search for last titled owner?

I bought basically a parts car that I plan to restore. The issue is I have NO paperwork for the car in question. I DID have the VIN run to make sure it wasn't stolen. The car was last INSPECTED in CT in 2008 or 2010 (the sticker is still on the windshield). From what i have been able to gather, the owner (then) was an elderly man in or around Ashford, CT. I am almost certain he is deceased. Trying to get some history, maybe an old registration so I can register the car in Mass.

Any of the CT members know of anyway of finding the last known registered owner?

Thanks!

1970 GTO (someday )
Old 03-31-2019, 09:41 PM

In Connecticut you don need a title for cars that are 20 or more years old, and a lot of cars don't have one for this reason. I don't have a title for my car and I don't think my father has one for any of his, so that may be a hiccup in your search.

The windshield sticker is actually a registration sticker, but they did away with them in 2010, so the car could have been registered a while after that date. I sold a car to someone out of state in Maryland and they had to present the last registration certificate to get a title issued in their state. I don't currently know of a way to find former owners or registrations on Connecticut vehicles easily. I would try calling the CT DMV, as much as that sucks, I've heard of people finding registrations that way in the past.

Best of luck

Old 03-31-2019, 09:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Who did you buy the car from? All you need in CT on an old car is a bill of sale.
Have you spoken to MA DMV about what they'll require for an old car from CT that hasn't been registered in years?

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 03-31-2019, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Damn! Treed by my own son!

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 03-31-2019, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Old 03-31-2019, 10:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Get one of the members in Georgia to register it there with a bill of sale and then send the registration to you. Georgia doesn’t give titles to cars made before 81 its registration only and you can register the car with a bill of sale in Georgia

Old 04-01-2019, 04:21 PM
Senior Chief

That's probably an emissions inspection sticker on the windshield. All you need in CT. is a bill of sale, odometer statement and a VIN verification to register it. I did my car last year and it had not been registered since 1975. You can register it in CT. then transfer it Mass.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you can find an old registration, you can register it in MA wicked easily by filling out an RMV-1 forum.

No registration is not the end of the world, it just makes the journey a little longer. You can have someone register it in NH for you. NH doesn't require any previous paperwork to register, although if there isn't any, they need a "blue form" filled out by a licensed shop or police officer stating that the car has been verified as not stolen. I've used this route a few times, and it's easy.

Or you could register it in VT.

You can go the VT route right thru the mail, and don't need any prior paperwork on the car. Fill out the proper forums, pay the VT sales tax on the vehicle in question, and they'll mail you back a registration, title, and even plates. You don't have to live in VT to do this. People use this method from all over the country.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 04-02-2019, 06:29 AM
Senior Chief

To get this done in Ct you need a Bill of Sale. You can get a temporary registration at DMV Then you take the car to an inspection station with the VIN check form and have the VIN verified and documented. The form asks for two places for VIN but since your 67 does not have two VIN locations one is acceptable. Then take the VIN verification form and temp registration back DMV to gain your permanent registration. You can skip the temporary reg if you flatbed or tow to a DMV facility with inspection capability and do VIN check and registration at the same time.