Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 09-19-2019, 01:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default quick Husky chainsaw question

I need to know what fuel mix ratio to put in my Dad's Husqvarna. It's not printed on the saw anywhere and I can't find the manual.

Sorry, I don't have the model # handy right now but it's less than ten years old.
I figure there all the same.

Old 09-19-2019, 01:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

50:1

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:40 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Excellent, thanks.
Now if I can just get the thing to start on one pull.
Chainsaw pull ropes and me don't get along.

I got an 80 year old crab apple tree that toppled over last Nov. I want to get it sawed up and split before winter. I had the small limbs trimmed off & into stove length several months ago. All done with a bow saw.
It'll sit out to dry for at least two years.

Old 09-19-2019, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stihl and Husky always start the same for me. I full choke it till it fires, then go to 1/2 choke and usually starts on the next pull. Warm it always starts on the first pull. It’s the only saw you will ever need to own unless you want to change size!

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

^^^
Exactly how my Stihl starts, same every time.

Old 09-20-2019, 12:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It was a learning process, but I got it started without too much trouble.
I was surprised how easy the rope pulled. I had tried 'dry' pulling it a few days earlier, just to see how much compression resistance I might have to deal with.
It stopped cold at about 8" of pull. I could pull it out all the way by applying steady pressure with increased force but a quick tug from the bottom wasn't happening.
Today I got it oiled up, filled with fuel and took it out to the yard for another try.
Carefully went through the hieroglyphic steps on the decal. I had to do it a couple times because there was no gas in the primer bulb at first. It started fine and I was pumping the throttle but the chain wasn't moving at all. I couldn't find any release mechanism so I tried revving it higher. Still no chain movement. I set it down on the ground for a second, picked it up, revved it some more and noticed it was now emitting smoke from the bottom of the saw. Then I had a flashback of that you-tube video of the guy smoking the clutch on a C6 Corvette because the traction control was over riding his burnout attempt.

The chainbrake didn't seem to be doing anything when I pulled on it. So I took the adjuster cover off and that finally dis-engaged the brake.
After all that, do you think I could get the engine to start again? I pulled on it several times, with the choke on and off and on again. Pressed the bulb probably too many times. Tried starter fluid in the air cleaner. Nothing.
So out with the sparkplug to dry it off. It was wet but not soaked.
Put it back in and FINALLY, it started again. Then because I'm so unfamilliar with the norms, I randomly push the choke lever down which kills the motor. Luckily it started bck up right away.

It cuts great, so I hope I didn't shorten the life of the clutch.

Oh yeah, I discovered that little button on top that you push (step 2) is some kind of compression vent and that's what makes it easy to pull the rope.
Shoot, if I'd known about that, I could have been using this saw five years ago when Dad first got it.
He'd had a Jonsered for years that I could never start for beans. So I'd gotten used to handsawing everything with a 36" or 30" bucksaw.
I only scavange dead trees for supplimental firewood though. We buy cord wood that's already cut & split for our main supply.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had chainsaws given to me because people couldn't get them running.More than once it was because they screen on the muffler was so clogged up it was creating so much back pressure it wouldn't run. A simple removing spark arrestor got it running again. Not that you have this problem other, people run into this ,might be a problem that's a simple fix. Just for future reference.

Old 09-30-2019, 12:23 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67drake View Post
50:1
With good quality oil...(Stihl or Husqvarna). Don't use cheap oil if you can help it.