Old 09-30-2019, 09:50 PM

Default 78 Firebird market.

I have an opportunity to buy a 78 firebird with "only surface rust" (LOL) for $500. It's only supposed to be missing the windshield and radiator. I just started to purchase cars to restore and flip. I'm not sure what the value of a 78 firebird would be. I'm not sure what motor it has or how many miles. i'm going to look at it tomorrow but I estimate between $15,000 in parts, motor, and transmission based on the 79 Z28 I'm currently working on. Any thoughts or advice on what the going are would be for a fully restored 78 Firebird? Maybe clone a T/A?

Old 10-01-2019, 08:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I dont think there is high demand for a restored 78 firebird. If it were a low mile unrestored example maybe. A firebird cloned to a T/A will be just that. Again, I dont think there is a lot of desire there. There are still plenty of real 78 T/A's for sale at reasonable prices. I would think that a restored 78 firebird would sell for the 7k-8k range, maybe upwards of 10k if it were to be 'concours' quality. IMO restoring a car like that is a losing proposition money wise. It may be a better donor for a real trans am in need of a resto. I think you are right on with your estimate of $15k for the work to be done. For $500 you almost cant pass it up. Another way to 'Make Money' with this car would be to clean it and get it running for a minimal cost then sell for $1500 - $2500.
Jim I just realized whom posted this, I am Roadking on TAC.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The only way I would consider buying a 1978 Firebird to restore if it were a Formula with a 400 and a 4 speed. For $500 you can't go wrong just for the parts to bring another one back.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 10-01-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
I dont think there is high demand for a restored 78 firebird. If it were a low mile unrestored example maybe. A firebird cloned to a T/A will be just that. Again, I dont think there is a lot of desire there. There are still plenty of real 78 T/A's for sale at reasonable prices. I would think that a restored 78 firebird would sell for the 7k-8k range, maybe upwards of 10k if it were to be 'concours' quality. IMO restoring a car like that is a losing proposition money wise. It may be a better donor for a real trans am in need of a resto. I think you are right on with your estimate of $15k for the work to be done. For $500 you almost cant pass it up. Another way to 'Make Money' with this car would be to clean it and get it running for a minimal cost then sell for $1500 - $2500.
Jim I just realized whom posted this, I am Roadking on TAC.
Hey Roadking. I looked on Hagerty’s website and good condition is $7500, excellent condition is $13,600. It’s not worth restoring. I don’t know if an engine rebuild would be worth it to get it in good condition, that might be a wash too. I’m still going to look at it and see what kind of condition it’s in. It looks rough on the outside from the one picture I saw, but if the body is straight it might be worth parting out.

How’s the 79 anniversary car coming along?

Old 10-01-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman View Post
The only way I would consider buying a 1978 Firebird to restore if it were a Formula with a 400 and a 4 speed. For $500 you can't go wrong just for the parts to bring another one back.
Might make a few bucks parting it out if there’s anything worth while on it.

Old 10-01-2019, 05:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Problem with parting it out is that most of the usable/saleable parts would be T/A specific. Fenders, spoilers, hood, etc. If it has a perfect dash that would be worth a couple of bucks and interchange with a trans am. Solid quarter panels would be worth cutting out also. I would discount anything on the interior as it most likely is shot anyway.

79 is coming along nicely, but prob not much more done since the paint job has been finished. I found a nice pair of lights from a member of this forum. Hopefully will get back into the shop within the next week and get some more work done.

Old 10-01-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
Problem with parting it out is that most of the usable/saleable parts would be T/A specific. Fenders, spoilers, hood, etc. If it has a perfect dash that would be worth a couple of bucks and interchange with a trans am. Solid quarter panels would be worth cutting out also. I would discount anything on the interior as it most likely is shot anyway.

79 is coming along nicely, but prob not much more done since the paint job has been finished. I found a nice pair of lights from a member of this forum. Hopefully will get back into the shop within the next week and get some more work done.
The body is what I was thinking about as far as parting out. Fenders, hood, quarters, deck lid, and bumpers. The engine is probably a 350 and who knows if it’s Pontiac, Buick, or Oldsmobile. I didn’t get a chance to look at it today. If it’s an Arizona car there will only be surface rust but the interior will be shot. I’m still gonna look at it if I get a chancI’ll be watching for updates on the 79. I’d love to have one of each anniversary year T/A.

Old 10-02-2019, 12:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

If it's not a Pontiac engine, that would be a big negative....

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 10-02-2019, 07:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I need to get on the Z site and check out your car. Did you have any luck with the t tops?