THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default My latest hobby product.

A product of my latest hobby interest. I’ve taken to buying swap meet valve covers and doing driver quality restorations. Wouldn’t pass for professional powder coating or anything, but instead of languishing sadly on a shelf now I’ll throw them on EBay and maybe they will find their way onto a motor to live again.

If you factor in my time I certainly don’t make any money, but I like doing it. Feel like I’m positively contributing to the hobby.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5662E655-01CA-4890-BE34-FA8AD62105DE.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	521863  

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 10-09-2019, 07:41 PM

Those are cool. Even as automotive Man or Lady cave memorabilia. I could see a set with Smokey and the Bandit theme.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 10-09-2019, 07:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good idea. Much better than air cleaners

Old 10-09-2019, 07:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
Those are cool. Even as automotive Man or Lady cave memorabilia. I could see a set with Smokey and the Bandit theme.
In my youth I was an art guy, so Ive been considering trying my hand in striping. Wish I had tried at a younger age. So I may give it a shot, but I definitely wont be up to hand striping a phoenix anytime soon.

Those are actually Y-block covers, I got those and a set of mercury ones, that I hammered straight some for $20 each. So kinda niche but they look cool. GM has kinda boring valve covers, by and large. Ill give the blue oval a little credit, they have cooler covers. I like to play with the ones with raised letters.

I was looking for the canted angle "Powered By Ford" covers you see on clevelands and FEs. They look cool, and have a bigger market. Those are actually the first I did, and they sold quickly. They didnt even look that good, I spent way more time on these. Those others I was doing for my 390, but they wouldnt fit the early vavletrain I have. So I just sorta slapped some paint on. But then when they didnt fit I sold them for $100. Paid 40 for them.

These I spent time, degreasing, then wire-wheeling, followed by engine primer, paint, and clearcoat. They look way better.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
In my youth I was an art guy, so Ive been considering trying my hand in striping. Wish I had tried at a younger age. So I may give it a shot, but I definitely wont be up to hand striping a phoenix anytime soon.

Those are actually Y-block covers, I got those and a set of mercury ones, that I hammered straight some for $20 each. So kinda niche but they look cool. GM has kinda boring valve covers, by and large. Ill give the blue oval a little credit, they have cooler covers. I like to play with the ones with raised letters.

I was looking for the canted angle "Powered By Ford" covers you see on clevelands and FEs. They look cool, and have a bigger market. Those are actually the first I did, and they sold quickly. They didnt even look that good, I spent way more time on these. Those others I was doing for my 390, but they wouldnt fit the early vavletrain I have. So I just sorta slapped some paint on. But then when they didnt fit I sold them for $100. Paid 40 for them.

These I spent time, degreasing, then wire-wheeling, followed by engine primer, paint, and clearcoat. They look way better.

There are various size bird decals available. I just saw on a Trans AM site where a guy did the Bandit theme on a snowboard. But I really think the valve covers are cool! And here where I live guys make themed valve covers for valve cover races at the car shows I attend. It’s really fun! I encourage you to keep em coming!

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 10-09-2019, 09:06 PM

Here’s the snowboard, or skateboard. That would be cool on some valve covers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C60D2669-92D4-4B78-893D-C11C8BD34C32.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	521888  

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 10-09-2019, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pontiac had some nice valve covers in 1955-56 that had the engines official given name on them "Stratostreak" silk screened on a raised script on an aluminum plate attached to the covers with 2 rivets.

In 1957 -58 they had raised "Pontiac" script stamped steel factory covers very similar to the SBC Chevrolet script, seen below.

They had some very distinctive valve covers, people just don't know about them. They went to the blank plain jane covers in 1959, then in the later years Pontiac used blank chrome covers to denote special performance engine packages.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 10-09-2019, 10:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You need an OHC 6 cover

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 10-09-2019, 11:26 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
Here’s the snowboard, or skateboard. That would be cool on some valve covers.
That’s a cool board where’d you get that ?

Old 10-10-2019, 07:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Great idea. Enjoy.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post

They had some very distinctive valve covers, people just don't know about them. They went to the blank plain jane covers in 1959, then in the later years Pontiac used blank chrome covers to denote special performance engine packages.
I would very much like to play with a set of those green ones. That's exactly the style I like. That said, they would probably be even harder to find a home for than the Y block ones. Im not familiar pre 389 covers. Will those units mount to later Pontiac heads?

You have the same problem with the cool Chevrolet script covers, some have those offset holes and make it hard to find a home for them.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I love the fancier embossed covers ... little works of art on everyday engines.

I'd do that work for a living if I could ... good on you.

Old 10-10-2019, 09:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
I would very much like to play with a set of those green ones. That's exactly the style I like. That said, they would probably be even harder to find a home for than the Y block ones. Im not familiar pre 389 covers. Will those units mount to later Pontiac heads?

You have the same problem with the cool Chevrolet script covers, some have those offset holes and make it hard to find a home for them.

Yes they will mount to late heads, they are not quite as tall as the later 1967 ones are making them pretty limited to stock valve components, but if used with a spacer, or thick gaskets you could put them on most anything with taller than stock valve train components.

Personally I like the 55-56 with the Stratostreak script. When my wife and I were making and selling Pontiac T shirts I purchased one of the aluminum plates at a swap meet that some one had cut the rivets off of the valve cover. I took it to the guy that was doing the art work for our shirts and incorporated it into a neon font on the back side of the shirts. See below:

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 10-10-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto19 View Post
That’s a cool board where’d you get that ?

I didn’t I saw it on another site. I’ll see if I can find the post again and the the guy who made it. It wasn’t for sale I don’t think, he just made it for himself.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA