Old 09-23-2019, 07:55 PM

Question 5 speed swap on a budget

Hey guys , considering a swap to a 5 speed over the up coming winter months , any easy install transmissions out there that someone has installed? I know American power train has kits, but a little pricey at this time , this is already a manual transmission car , original motor and trans long gone 🙁, any input is appreciated!, thanks mike

Old 09-23-2019, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

5 speed =/= budget

Old 09-27-2019, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To save yourself some headaches. Check with someone that has already made the switch to find out which 5 speed make will work best, with the least amount of tunnel bending or cutting.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 09-28-2019, 01:55 AM

Doug Nash 5-speed or the later Richmond 5-speed. Not an overdrive, you use it with a tall rear end gear like a 3.08 or 2.73. They can be found for reasonable prices on the used parts market. I had one behind a 400 in my ‘64 GTO with a 3.25 Ford 9”, I bought the car that way. I always wished it had at least a 3.00 or better yet a 2.75 gear but the 3.25s were okay.

It’s rated at 450 ft/lb of torque but can handle more if you’re not abusing it. Ratios are 3.27/2.14/1.57/1.23 with a 1:1 fifth.

No tunnel mods other than some trimming of the shifter hole rearward a small amount. The rubber mount on the crossmember needs to be sunken into the crossmember by about a half inch to maintain proper driveline angle.

It uses a TH400 32-spline yoke, and just like most any 5 or 6-speed swap a custom length driveshaft will be needed. Also uses a 26-spline clutch disc when using the GM version. This trans is the easiest and least expensive 5-speed swap for muscle cars.

I still have that Doug Nash 5-speed, waiting patiently for a future project.

Old 09-28-2019, 09:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 1967Tempest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
5 speed =/= budget
Yeah^^^ is accurate. The issue with the "budget" aspect is that there usually isn't a 5 speed transmission on the used market that will
A. Fit the BOP with out expensive adapters etc.. and
B. Handle the torque of the Yak for very long.

I did a lot of research on this when my Saginaw blew apart the input gear. My car wasn't making all that much HP/TQ at the time, but the car is heavy.

The TKO's arent found used as they are pretty much bullet proof.

The way I did it was to save. Thats prolly not what you want to hear, but the TKO is the best 2200$ you can spend as far as an upgrade. I bought the tranny, then pieced all the other parts slowly over the winter and by March I was installing it. I did buy the trans through Ebay and then used Ebay bucks to buy other stuff.

If you are already running a stick, and the clutch is fairly new, you can but just a new 26 spline clutch disc, savings.

You wont need new TO bearing and clutch fork, savings.

Hurst shifter sticks fit perfectly, savings.

The trans crossmember will need to be moved, but drill 4 holes and slide it back using the same rubber mount if it is in good nick, savings.

The driveshaft will need to be shortened, however, i called around and had one built with 1350 U-Joints for 300$, granted that was close to a decade ago, but still can be found if willing to pay cash.

IMHO, the 5 speed with OD of .63/.64 is the way to go. 1:1 5 speed swaps, while great, do nothing for MPG on the highway without going to a taller tire or taller gear.

hth, 0.02$

The Burb Files
Old 09-30-2019, 08:13 PM

Thanks guys , great information!, and a few good directions to go, I put the word out here locally for transmissions that may be available, the rear gear is a 3:23 , not bad , but will have to due for now, grand kids have moved into 1st place lol !

Old 10-07-2019, 03:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you give up on the economy route, a club member just bought a TKO from Silver Sport and the customer support has been outstanding. Those guys have put together a great kit and it works as advertised. They do mill down the top of the TKO so the trans is lower in height than a stock unit. We were able to fit the TKO in place with the stock crossmember and the trans slightly touched the tunnel at three of the corners of the top plates. While Silver Sport supplied sheet metal caps to cut the tunnel and weld those in, all we had to do was some hard dimpling in a few places. The shifter came up exactly in the same place the Hurst shifter did with the Muncie, and we were able to use the original Hurst stick after drilling holes so it would bolt up to the TKO shifter stub. The Richmond shifter sits back 3" from the stock location and that would have required sliding his console back and we were really not sure how that would look. The Richmond also requires moving the shifter porch back 3" if one is already in place. Seemed like there were more shifting complaints with the Richmond also, and that was enough to tip the scale to the TKO-600 purchase.

Old 10-09-2019, 10:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the additional info Mick.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:02 PM

Great info and tips, thanks guys , worth a look as I don’t want to modify this floor , or as little as possible... patience and spending a little more may be the way to go , this hardtop sees a lot of highway time during the short New England season , the 4speed is fun , but really holds it back from running along at higher speed