Old 02-01-2018, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i ended up buying a chunk of 1/2" thick wall schedule 80 PVC. I dont have a lathe, but ran a 1/2" bolt through it and mounted to drill press to file down the diameter. Left the diameter just a little larger than the factory listed 11/16. Ran a larger drill bit through it so it fit on the door striker.

The door now works like a dream!!! I cant believe how long I put up with the crappy closing door, not realizing the striker silencer was the primary culprit. The old striker was a little chewed up as well, so now have new OEM strikers and custom silencers!

68 Firebird-- Street/Strip - 400/461 Eagle Forged Bottom End & Ross Flat top pistons. KRE 325 CFM D port, Ultradyne 263/271 @.050, .4267 lift. Crower Solid roller lifters and 1.65 stainless rockers. Quickfuel 1000 on Torker2 intake and 2" open spacer. Hedman 1.75" headers. TH400 w/brake. Ford 9" w/3.80 gears & 28x9 Hoosier pro bracket drag radial. Best ET: 1.35 60ft, 6.29 @ 107.20 mph, 9.99 @132.33 mph. 3,300 race weight

Last edited by leeklm; 02-01-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Installed a NOS striker and custom silencer on my drivers door tonight. The result? No different than the Dormon that I had on it. The door still has around 3/16" of movement in and out. Both silencers mic the same. I need to look at the door latch assemble itself I guess.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Bringing this back up... While waiting for the bodyshop to call, figured I would try and get the panel gaps a little better. The drivers side door will move in and out approx 3/16". The strikers are NOS, silencers are plastic pieces OEM size. I thought maybe the silencer was worn(even though the car barely has any miles on it), so I made a quick one out of brass with the O.D. being .689. After installing the brass silencer it still does exactly the same thing. I looked at the door and when the door latch mechanism is in the closed position it has a good bit of movement in it. I checked the passengers side door and the latch mechanism has the same movement, it has the same NOS striker and the same plastic silencer, no weatherstrip or door bumpers and it closes tight. I checked the original door for the car and the latch mechanism has the same movement. Locking the door made no difference. I'm at a loss here......

Old 07-03-2019, 06:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Bringing this back up... While waiting for the bodyshop to call, figured I would try and get the panel gaps a little better. The drivers side door will move in and out approx 3/16". The strikers are NOS, silencers are plastic pieces OEM size. I thought maybe the silencer was worn(even though the car barely has any miles on it), so I made a quick one out of brass with the O.D. being .689. After installing the brass silencer it still does exactly the same thing. I looked at the door and when the door latch mechanism is in the closed position it has a good bit of movement in it. I checked the passengers side door and the latch mechanism has the same movement, it has the same NOS striker and the same plastic silencer, no weatherstrip or door bumpers and it closes tight. I checked the original door for the car and the latch mechanism has the same movement. Locking the door made no difference. I'm at a loss here......

Old 07-03-2019, 06:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Old 07-03-2019, 06:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Old 07-03-2019, 08:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have no idea why that reply posted 4 times? It kept giving me an "error" saying I can only post once every 20 seconds, and I haven't posted all day...Then it would time out.

Anyways... I made another bushing to .720 diameter and it helped a little, very little. I then made one to .745 and it's too big.

Old 10-13-2019, 10:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I replaced the latch assembly and problem solved.