Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Old 08-14-2018, 04:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We had a meeting with the Chief of Police this morning. Not sure what will happen but it could be less dismal than we thought. They still want liability insurance but could cave in so we don't need it for the rest of the season..... hopefully. We will not get insurance as we don't have a fee... and never will have one. The location will probably change after this season. More news as soon as we get more info at the next meeting.

I can say tho that Delaware City will lose a lot of business over this. We are not the only ones that show cars in this town.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 8/15/18 Update

Well it looks like our Cruise Night in Delaware City has come to an end. I cannot afford liability insurance on my own. And I'll not ask for donations from those that attend to get it. The Cruise Night will move and when I get the info where, tho I do have an idea where, I will post it here. We will move on and survive.

I did ask at the meeting I had today with the City Manager and Chief of Police that we be allowed on last get together on August 25th. She will let me know if it will be allowed or not by Friday or next Monday at the latest, so I can let those that attend what's going on. Those in control at Delaware City will not like what's going to happen, but we will get the point across to them. That's all I can say for now.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 08-16-2018, 03:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 8/16/18 Update

No word yet from Delaware City. Figures. LOL

This is what a few of us have come up with..... a huge [peaceful] boycott by classic cars owners and anyone they can get to listen and follow along, even including the motor cycle guys. I know we're there only one day a month from March/April thru to October/November. [March and November are the 2 iffy months due to the weather] But for these one day a month cruises we have a good crowd.... driver's, their wives, and some bring their kids of all ages. And the public that comes out to see what we all drive. That's business for 3 local restaurants with bars and an ice cream shop. Plus the other business in town. If the public passes this on to their friends as hopefully the classic car guys do, it will eventually hurt all the businesses big time.

We done this cruise for 11 years with no accidents or damage of any kind to anything.. and without us having to have any liability insurance. Liability insurance was supposedly covered by our former sponsors in Delaware City. We are not a car club and do not take any money what-so-ever from anyone to attend the cruise. We gather in the park, look at everyone's rides and shoot the sh!t. Period! Oh, and no alcohol is ever allowed. If we see anyone drinking we kindly as them to stop and get rid of it or leave.

Already the British Car Club is doing a boycott and they have liability insurance. Del City just makes them do stupid things to have their shows and they're sick of it.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 08-20-2018, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe you'll move to Middletown? that would be a bit closer, lol.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just to let everyone know that "might" attend, our Cruise Night in Delaware City is back on. Due to a few phone calls by a friend that knows the Mayor and most of the business people in Delaware City, and started this event but now lives in Florida, it all started a ruckus that got the event back with this one requirement......

Everyone that attends must show proof of insurance that includes the liability clause. They must also sign a waiver to enter the park. You will also get a card that you've shown proof and won't have to show proof again, at least for this year. I've no idea what they do to us next year. For the next cruises [4th Saturday] in September, October, and November just have the "card of proof" on your dash where we can see it and you are IN.

I know everyone that has a Classic car has this as do those with newer cars. There's no way around the waiver as I tried, I really tried hard too, but the City Manager won't let us do anything without it. But at least it's back for the remainder of the year. Let's give it a try and we'll see what happens for next year, and I hope [crossing my fingers] it will stay the same. If not.. well you know what I've said previously.

To any and all of you that are close by... please attend this Saturday August 25th. We need your support.

The only important thing other than proof of Liability insurance is... there's no alcohol of any kind allowed in the Park or on the streets. That's City law and no way around it... not even medical.

See ya'll at the Park Entrance Saturday. Thanks

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 08-26-2018, 02:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yesterday was great. We had aver 115 cars in the park. Sad thing was the time it took to check insurance cards, explain why, and get the waiver signed by everyone. My thanks to those there with Pontiacs and more so if you're a member here on the forums and was there, I didn't feel alone.

I did meet the mayor and that was sort of a bust. He's saying I still need liability insurance and the reasons were a bunch of BS. I told him there was no way I was paying for liability insurance.... we don't charge to attend. It's possible that "maybe" a few local businesses might do the insurance for us just to save the cruise and have business from it, but it's only a possibility. Then he made the statement we charge a fee to attend. That went over like a lead brick. I told him that if there is a fee to attend a "Cruise Night" that there won't be one at all. All of those standing with me said the same thing. People will come down the street go around the circle and leave, never to come back. Then he has the gonads to say that won't happen. I told him to be there next month and try to collect a fee.

But so far we're safe for the next 3 cruises.... Sept. 22nd, Oct. 27th, and Nov, 24th if the weather is good.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 08-29-2018, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just found out this morning that all is good and the Cruise Night will be a go for next year too in Delaware City. Tho we'll still have to do the insurance card check and a waiver signed again. No big deal, I think we can all live with that.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 09-13-2018, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cruise Night is on for Saturday the 22nd. Also there will be the St. Jude's Benefit show at the UAW Union Hall on Old Baltimore Pike just north of RT 72 from 11am to 3pm. This is a donation show for the Kids.

As always the Cruise Night in Del City is free. But... if you can't make the show at the UAW Hall you can make a donation at the Cruise Night and it will go to St. Jude's.

Yeah I know there are other shows too, but we hope to see some of you at one or both on Saturday. The Kids need all the help we can give them.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 09-14-2018, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi Gary, sent you a text.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got it. But you know that. LOL

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 11-15-2018, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Cruise Night for Delaware City will be a go November 24th if, and only if, the weather is good. From what I can see so far the 24th should be a bit cloudy and 52°s. If it's dry enough it will be held in the Park.

Don't let me be their by myself again this month. Yeah it got wet just after I arrives last month. The GTO need a wash anyways. LOL

New News:
Next year to give everyone something to do on Sundays, the Delaware City Cruise Night will be held on Sundays.. NOT Saturdays. It's also a possibility that I'll be having one on the 2nd Sunday and one on the 4th Sunday. Nothing definite about that part for now. I'll have to square it away with the City Manager first.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 11-16-2018, 09:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Got it on my calendar Gary, may bring the wifes 'stang instead of the bird but would love to be there.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well it was a wash. I was at Del City at 1pm and it looked pretty good until.... 2pm when it started to rain. I left at 2:15 and headed home.

See you all next March on the 4 Sunday. Starting in April I'll be having the Cruise Night on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of the month from April thru to November. And that could be a good thing. At the minimum there'll be at least one Cruise if we have rain. No rain, then we'll have 2 of them.

TTFN

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"