Old 12-31-2018, 08:39 PM

Default 65 GTO belt line moldings

Hi guys, two questions: Has anyone here found a good, reputable source to refinish the anodized aluminum belt line molding for 64/65 GTO?

Also, has anyone had first hand experience with the once being reproduced and sold by The parts Place? https://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/pro...or-sedan/60028

My originals need to be refinished or replaced, wondering if its worth doing or better to just replace with reproductions.

Thanks!

Old 12-31-2018, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just strip and polish them, and then hit them once or twice a year with Mothers metal polish. I don't bother with anodizing them. I had a set on my last car like that for 12 years, always looked new.

Old 01-01-2019, 11:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Best aluminum refinishing guy I've ever found:

Dennis Barnett
Greenfield, In.
317-919-8434 cell

Old 01-01-2019, 12:05 PM
Suspended

If yours are dent free, you know how to polish and have a local company that does anodizing, restore them yourself. Its easy. Strip off the anodizing with Easy-Off oven cleaner, polish the aluminum to a mirror finish, have them clear anodized and re-install on the car.

Old 01-01-2019, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-Tripower View Post
Best aluminum refinishing guy I've ever found:

Dennis Barnett
Greenfield, In.
317-919-8434 cell
X2, Dennis did most of my trim.

Old 01-01-2019, 05:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhcarguy View Post
X2, Dennis did most of my trim.
He has done all the trim on two Chevelles where I could not find NOS and all the trim for the GTO. I was absolutely pleased with every single piece he did. He also is good a straightening and polishing stainless. I had one tricky piece on the wagon that couldn't be anodized and he polished it and it looked nearly as good as NOS, though the color was slightly off compared to anodized. 5-6 years later I found an NOS piece and the polished one still looked pretty good when I replaced it, but nothing looks quite as good and as bright as anodized trim. It looks much closer to chrome (which is the point) than polished aluminum will.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:22 AM
Senior Chief

I just got mine back from GTL metal polishing
Very pleased with his work.
He is a one man show and about 6 weeks out. Mine had some minor dents and some pits, You would never know it by seeing them now.
If you want, I can post some pics. I had him do the beltline (4 pcs) and the drip rail ( 6pcs) for my '65
Just picked them up last week.
Jeff.
http://www.gtlmetalpolishing.com/

Old 01-04-2019, 10:43 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff chmura View Post
I just got mine back from GTL metal polishing
Very pleased with his work.
He is a one man show and about 6 weeks out. Mine had some minor dents and some pits, You would never know it by seeing them now.
If you want, I can post some pics. I had him do the beltline (4 pcs) and the drip rail ( 6pcs) for my '65
Just picked them up last week.
Jeff.
http://www.gtlmetalpolishing.com/
That's the guy I was thinking of when this thread started. I forgot his name but he is very meticulous about his work. He has done the trim on some of the finest Chevy II's in the country.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:58 PM

Just an update on this thread. I was in Los Angeles delivering my bumpers top the plating shop, and after that had planned to drop my belt line mouldings off with 'The kind of trim" after hearing repeatedly that they were indeed the kings of trim. Anyways, the bumper shop folks told me they also did trim and could straighten and anodize my parts for me no problem. They also had a great reputation and so I went ahead and payed the $600.00 and had them do it. They shipped them back to me here in Canada, and every single part had scratches and the drivers door trim had several dents still visible. I was back in LA and returned the parts to them, and they apologized and said they would fix all the issues and send back to me no charge. great!! Except they called a few weeks later and said that they were not able to remove the dents, and that my parts now that they had been stripped a second time, were too thin to re anodize and repair. They did offer to refund my money, but now my very nice original cores are useless.

Anyways, so now I am looking at reproduction, or finding another set of cores and starting over.

Old 09-26-2019, 01:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Repros are available from Ames. They are very good.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan