Old 06-03-2019, 06:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Hardware Hassle - Needing some advice

Hello Everyone,

As I continue to work on my basketcase '64 GTO, I have run into problems identifying quite a bit of the hardware/fasteners that came with this car.

The first problem is that the PO didn't label or sort anything...He also didn't just keep all the GTO stuff together, so in the mix I have metric bolts, old Ford and old Mopar bolts. Picture boxes and coffee cans full...

I have been sorting, measuring and labeling - but I don't have a good means determine where these bolt/fasteners belong. I have received some answers on this forum to specific questions but would surely wear-out my welcome, if I post endless pictures of bolts.

I tried using my service and chassic manual - but often they provide little information regarding the fasteners beyond some dimensions.

My other thought was to reverse engineer the kits that AMK offers using their catalog.

Anybody out there got a bunch on info on 64 GTO fasteners they are willing to share? Or got some good ideas of how to proceed?

Thanks for the Help.

Some pictures - cause everyone likes pictures...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Anchor Bolts.jpg
Views:	737
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	513473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flanged Nuts.jpg
Views:	757
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	513474   Click image for larger version

Name:	MFC bolts.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	513475  

Old 06-03-2019, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I will jump ........

1. since there is 4.. and they look like they have been on and off a couple times , and Im not a 64 guy , valve cover bolts ?
they look like chevrolet water pump rear cover bolts with the star washer ... rear oil pan ?

2. 99% rear differential backing plate to axle tube nuts .... only 5 ? theres 8 per car

3. hood hinge to fender ..... ?

fairly sure on #2 tho

Old 06-03-2019, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think the 1st four are valve cover. Valve cover didn't have the star washer. I think they may be wheel cylinder.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The best advice I can give you is to buy a front end hardware kit that our host sells. They also have interior screw kits. Pricey but totally worth it. As far as valve cover bolts and stuff Gardner westcott makes the best sets of those and you can get them from summit racing

Old 06-04-2019, 07:32 AM

Pic #3 might be bucket seat to floor bracket, can’t tell length of bolt in picture. I recall the hardware is a mix of bolts and nuts for the set of bucket seats.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:44 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardo View Post
I don't think the 1st four are valve cover. Valve cover didn't have the star washer. I think they may be wheel cylinder.
Yep. Short with a star washer. The nuts I have seen but for the life of me I can't think of where. Maybe upper control arm for alignment adjustment. The bolts are a common use bolt. GM used them everywhere. Being that those are clean, they could be upper fender bolts or something that was mounted to the core support. Could even be horn mounting bolts. All this is really a crap shoot. The OP should just buy a parts car to use as an assembly guide.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks everyone for the help...I was hoping one of our more meticulous members had kept some detailed notes/photos. It seems that JAKE64 here has a lot of knowledge in this area (based on reviewing old posts). And it seems based on older posts that concours judges must have considerable notes on this kind of stuff. Not that I am building a concours car - but if you have the parts you may as well put them where they belong. My car was thrown together enough to get it into a transportable package before I bought it - so quantities of things are all over the place (some on the car, some in cans, some not cleaned and organized yet.

Quote:
The OP should just buy a parts car to use as an assembly guide.
Unfortunately Chief - I don't have this luxury - I barely have room for what I am doing as it is. A good thought though...

Quote:
The best advice I can give you is to buy a front end hardware kit that our host sells.
I had this thought too. AMK sells master kits and seems to have a good reputation for proper appearing stuff. I have been using their catalog as a reference - but maybe I will just have to break down and spend the money.

Anyway - Thanks for the help. At the very least it is nice to be among people who understand the challenge of bringing a basket case back from the brink.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

By the way I don’t know if you are doing a “stock” restoration or not but if not Gardner Westcott sells a really neat bolt set thru summit that has all chrome plated bolts with the arrowhead logo embossed on the heads. It’s and engine kits for bolts like intake manifold and water pump et cetera but it’s really snazzy and dresses up the engine bay. It’s not expensive either it’s like 64 dollars or something. I used one and it was better than digging thru a bolts can

Old 06-05-2019, 09:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have 3 64s, and two are restored and one is unrestored original. If you can text me individual pictures of your hardware with a tape next to it, I can figure them out. In addition, I've stripped about 50 64-7 cars, so although it's been plenty of years, I still recollect most of it. My email is arayman@aol.com

Old 06-05-2019, 11:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
If you can text me individual pictures of your hardware with a tape next to it, I can figure them out.
Thank you Andre! I sent you an email...

Quote:
By the way I don’t know if you are doing a “stock” restoration or not
Thanks 64Speed...With certain exceptions (a nice traditional Model A hot rod for example) I tend to be a stock appearing guy. I hide my modifications behind a more-or-less stock (mild Day 2) facade. For example - my Buick...If you pop the hood the only things that might appear non-stock are the air cleaner (open element) and the distributor (Mallory Unilite). But what you don't see is: forged internals, head work, exhaust manifold porting, etc. A sleeper kinda...

I will add that I tend to be on a (really) tight budget - so I compensate with sweat/blood/time and restoring/refinishing/reusing everything I can - any part I don't have to buy saves me money for something that really needs to be replaced. Besides - when I do it this way everything fits.

Thanks again for the help...This forum is a great place.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:29 PM
Senior Chief

1_Wild_Cat

For 1964

You don't give the plant of assembly, and to a lesser extent, the date when your car was assembled. On occasion, this can dictate, especially the assembly plant, what components were used. You don't give the size of the components you are inquiring of, so will wing it.

Top Photo - I believe The Anchor Corporation may have been responsible for the largest percentage of bolts appearing on our cars. However, the use of the star lock washers prevents me from determining their use on our cars.
Center Photo - This style of flanged nut was found and used on both the steering column support bracket - two required (under and secured to the upper dash) and were also used to secure the hood to the hood hinge - four required. (I have also noted the Marsden split nut style used to secure the hood). The flanged nuts used to secure both the support bracket and hood were 3/8".
Lower Photo - I have noted this style (lead point) of bolt used to secure the battery tray to the inner wheel well. However, the lead point is typically no longer than 3/16" long. I am not familiar with the MF marking on the head.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
You don't give the plant of assembly, and to a lesser extent, the date when your car was assembled. On occasion, this can dictate, especially the assembly plant, what components were used. You don't give the size of the components you are inquiring of, so will wing it.
I should have thought of that...Built in Pontiac on July 27, '64....

Jake 64...Thanks for your thoughts on the photos of the hardware I posted. Andre has graciously volunteered to help too.

It is slow going right now. I have been on the road for work constantly - and it is now about 3 weeks since I have had the chance to do anything on the car.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:34 PM
Senior Chief

[QUOTE=JAKE 64;6035271]1_Wild_Cat

For 1964

Wow, I did not realize how late your car was built. Perhaps you should reverse my opening sentence above.

Top Photo - I believe The Anchor Corporation may have been responsible for the largest percentage of bolts appearing on our cars. However, the use of the star lock washers prevents me from determining their use on our cars.

I looked into a bucket of wheel cylinders and did find a couple of bolts as you show that used the star washers.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks Jake 64 - I will make note that those might be from the wheel cylinders. I appreciate you checking that out for me.

I still haven't made it back to the shop to finish my project of figuring out what hardware I have...too much time at the paying job (and the heatwave). Hopefully soon...

Old 09-29-2019, 08:20 AM
Senior Chief

bucket seat bolts

Old 09-29-2019, 09:12 PM

Pic 1 with star washers - engine grounding strap bolts?

Old 09-30-2019, 10:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the help and ideas. I am still cleaning and organizing hardware. Most of the car is at the metal shop right now so it’s tough to check bolts against where they might go. I sure wish the PO had bought some ziplocks and a sharpie.

Old 10-09-2019, 10:45 AM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up

SEAT BOLTS !!!!

Old 10-09-2019, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not very familiar with GTOs, but if you have the factory shop manuals you can look through the pictures and illustrations in them to figure out where some of the fasteners go. It probably will only be of limited help, but it will be better than nothing.

If I recall correctly, the bolts in the last picture do look like the seat bolts in my Bonneville.

Old 10-09-2019, 11:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the advice - I have the shop manuals and looked through them, and they certainly help. What I decided to do was to make a complete inventory of what I have. (Because I am a nerd at heart) I have made a spreadsheet and have been inventorying all the hardware noting dimensions and markings. I'm hoping that having this information will help when I go back to the manuals, and other sources.

The car has been with the shop doing the serious metal repair/fabrication for awhile. I will make sure to try those bolts in the seat mounts when I have it back.

Thanks again everyone for the help.