Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 08-24-2019, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Mopar Hard Staring question

Helping a friend with his 74 Cuda / 440/727. Has FITECH and an electronic dist. No idea about the internals of the engine but it did make 425 hp at the rear wheels. Battery in the trunk

Problem ever since he has owned it.

Turns reals slow at 1st then speeds up a little until it starts. Has severe hot start issues as well

Here are the facts that I know of.

Battery in the trunk. Tests great. Has 1000 CCA battery and when tested had over 1100.

Has 2-0 multi strand wire from front to rear
Has Power master starter gear reduction. He had a different starter on it and it did same thing.

Voltage drop goes to 7.5ish volts then ramps up to 9ish Volts while trying to start.

I tried my jump box (1200 CCA ) as a stand alone battery and it does same thing if I do it from rear of vehicle or to a some posts in the engine compartment designed for jump starting.

If I Add my jump box to the front with the battery in the rear hooked up, Volts only drop to the 11 ish area.

Has a new wiring harness and all the electrical has been replaced. Plenty of engine grounds.

I cannot adjust timing on it and the dyno tuner said it was good.

At a loss to for what to look at next. Was told the FITECH Like at least 10V to start,

I just dont know Mopars...

Thanks much in advance for any advice.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Doc try over at www.Moparts.com I would revisit all grounds.

TOM
Old 08-29-2019, 06:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If the ground wire doesn't run from front to rear, run one.. It sounds like ground loss through the frame

Old 08-29-2019, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Found the problem. It was a loose wire that goes from the starter to the solenoid. It was mounted up under the brake booster so it was not easily seen.

Thanks