Old 10-08-2019, 03:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 69 - Convert an auto console into a manual?

Is it possible to convert my 69 automatic center console into a manual one? Is it as simple as replacing the front and top portion of the console so it has the rounded hole for the manual shifter surround to go in? If so, would it work just to buy this kit? https://www.chicagomusclecarparts.com/products/932539

My other question, seems there is this plate that attaches to the inside of the console: https://www.firebirdcentral.com/1968...p/con-2009.htm

But what about the shifter boot? Is the seal, retaining ring, and boot all the same bits as if it was a non-console car? I ask because to me it looks like it may be and that shifter surround goes around it.

Thanks!

Old 10-08-2019, 05:58 AM
Senior Chief

This is an applique kit to restore the woodgrain finish. I have used it with what I consider moderate to good results. To convert an auto to 4 speed you would have to fabricate a backing board to replicate the section with the 4 speed
cutout. It can probably be done with some trial and error. I opted for a used console that needed work.

That second link is for the part that finishes off the 4 speed hole for lack of a better description. The shifter boot attaches directly to the floor or tunnel. This part goes over the boot.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I did my '68, I bought a complete console where the shell was in rough shape, but the section for the shifter was good. Ten I unbolted that section as an assembly from one and installed on the other. This was quite some time ago, so the details of what it looked like is a little vague, but it was a multi-piece assembly.

Old 10-10-2019, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I see, thanks. I thought that seemed cheap for the top pieces, now I get that's just a veneer only.

Old 10-10-2019, 07:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior